Cooked 306 ? What are the options?
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    IWS
    IWS is offline
    1000+ Posts IWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hawthorn East, Vic.
    Posts
    1,321

    Default Cooked 306 ? What are the options?

    My daughters 306 seems to have seriously cooked itself.

    Id posted here a few weeks back about the car overheating and having thermostat replaced.

    After the thermostat replacement, daughter said car was running badly and pinging a lot. I talked to my mechanic who said cooling system was OK after thermostat replacement and suggested timing maybe out. My mistake was to not look at the car and drive the car myself. Instead, planned to get that attended to in time and let daughter keep driving. Daughter said pinging was getting worse and car running more roughly. Finally I decided to attend to this and to try a different mechanic had Elliot the mobile French mechanic look at the car. His verdict is alarming: seriously blown head gasket, radiator possibly faulty, high speed fan not working, possible damage to the auto gearbox (from car being driven hard to compensate for the poor engine performance). Latter (potential) problem diagnosed by a) auto trans slipping on road test and b) burnt oil in transmission.

    Apart from feeling very cross with myself for not seeing the problem that was developing and letting it get much worse Im now faced with the dilemma of what to do.

    • Repair head gasket?
    • Source replacement engine?
    • What
    about the gear box? (No point fixing engine if the gearbox then goes.)

    Give up and send car to the wreckers? (Will be sad as the car was a family car, with low 100s ks, passed on to the daughter by her grandmother.)

    My mechanical capacity and inclination is low so no way I could attempt this repair myself. So, if I do go the repair-the-car path there will be the labour costs to consider.

    Im thinking that this may be all too uneconomical to proceed with and that I just have to just grit my teeth and farewell the car. But, if I could see a way to fix it Id like to

    Advertisement


    So, what are my options? Will value any and all opinions and advice.

    Thanks in advance

    Ian.

  2. #2
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    My daughters 306 seems to have seriously cooked itself.

    Id posted here a few weeks back about the car overheating and having thermostat replaced.

    After the thermostat replacement, daughter said car was running badly and pinging a lot. I talked to my mechanic who said cooling system was OK after thermostat replacement and suggested timing maybe out. My mistake was to not look at the car and drive the car myself. Instead, planned to get that attended to in time and let daughter keep driving. Daughter said pinging was getting worse and car running more roughly. Finally I decided to attend to this and to try a different mechanic had Elliot the mobile French mechanic look at the car. His verdict is alarming: seriously blown head gasket, radiator possibly faulty, high speed fan not working, possible damage to the auto gearbox (from car being driven hard to compensate for the poor engine performance). Latter (potential) problem diagnosed by a) auto trans slipping on road test and b) burnt oil in transmission.

    Apart from feeling very cross with myself for not seeing the problem that was developing and letting it get much worse Im now faced with the dilemma of what to do.

    • Repair head gasket?
    • Source replacement engine?
    • What
    about the gear box? (No point fixing engine if the gearbox then goes.)

    Give up and send car to the wreckers? (Will be sad as the car was a family car, with low 100s ks, passed on to the daughter by her grandmother.)

    My mechanical capacity and inclination is low so no way I could attempt this repair myself. So, if I do go the repair-the-car path there will be the labour costs to consider.

    Im thinking that this may be all too uneconomical to proceed with and that I just have to just grit my teeth and farewell the car. But, if I could see a way to fix it Id like to

    So, what are my options? Will value any and all opinions and advice.

    Thanks in advance

    Ian.
    Hmm. Bad luck, especially for a low km 306, as they really are great cars. Pity #1 mechanic said all was well. Is he liable in any way? Probably a lost cause I suppose.

    I'd struggle myself with what to do with our 306 if that all happened.

    To repair all that, assuming the auto transmission is far from happy, will cost far more than a 306 is "worth", whatever you take "worth" to mean. However, you have to set against the cost of buying something else secondhand, with unknown issues to emerge at some time.

    I'd get a quote for fixing it and leaving the transmission apart from fluid change, a quote for overhauling the lot (ouch) and also ring David Cavanagh to see if he has any secondhand stuff that might do a fair job for you at much lower cost.

    Then I'd sleep on it. On the plus side, there are some great secondhand cars around well under $10,000. Even another 306.

    Good luck.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citron CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  3. #3
    IWS
    IWS is offline
    1000+ Posts IWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hawthorn East, Vic.
    Posts
    1,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I'd get a quote for fixing it and leaving the transmission apart from fluid change, a quote for overhauling the lot (ouch) and also ring David Cavanagh to see if he has any secondhand stuff that might do a fair job for you at much lower cost.

    Then I'd sleep on it. On the plus side, there are some great secondhand cars around well under $10,000. Even another 306.

    Good luck.
    Thanks John - appreciate your thinking.

    Sleeping on it first is a very good option! Not making any rash decisions.

    I had thought of talking to David C to ask if he has a good engine available - so will pursue that.

    And I *am* going back to talk to mechanic #1 as I do wonder how it is that they said "All OK" and then this happens so quickly.

    Cheers

    Ian.

  4. #4
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    Thanks John - appreciate your thinking.

    Sleeping on it first is a very good option! Not making any rash decisions.

    I had thought of talking to David C to ask if he has a good engine available - so will pursue that.

    And I *am* going back to talk to mechanic #1 as I do wonder how it is that they said "All OK" and then this happens so quickly.

    Cheers

    Ian.
    I'd ask David about a transmission too. You never know. If the engine isn't damaged, I'd be more concerned about the transmission.
    Last edited by JohnW; 11th March 2012 at 01:13 PM.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citron CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! racing405's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Traralgon
    Posts
    648

    Default

    Last time I went past Pugwreck, they had a half decent looking 306 in the yard, not certain if it was an auto though.

    In your position, if the rest of the car was ok, I'd just buy another motor and gearbox together and drop the new lot straight in. As long as the models match so all the bits go back in the same place, this is only the work of a Saturday afternoon.

    I'd be giving Pugwreck a call, talk to Haden and see if he has a suitable transplant for you. I've never asked, but he may even be able to do the change over for you.

    Cheers.
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

  6. #6
    IWS
    IWS is offline
    1000+ Posts IWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hawthorn East, Vic.
    Posts
    1,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by racing405 View Post
    Last time I went past Pugwreck, they had a half decent looking 306 in the yard, not certain if it was an auto though.

    In your position, if the rest of the car was ok, I'd just buy another motor and gearbox together and drop the new lot straight in. As long as the models match so all the bits go back in the same place, this is only the work of a Saturday afternoon.

    I'd be giving Pugwreck a call, talk to Haden and see if he has a suitable transplant for you. I've never asked, but he may even be able to do the change over for you.

    Cheers.
    Good suggestion - engine and gear box as a package. The car is in gnerally good condtion (except for where some scumbag dented the front guard and drove off!) and has sentimental value, so worth an attempt at a fix up.

    Shall talk to Haden - who I have dealt with before - see what he has on offer.

    Cheers,

    Ian.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •