Access to distributor - 505 STI
  • Register
  • Help

Default Access to distributor - 505 STI

What is the easiest way to check the points gap on a 505STI? Remove the whole distributor and set the gap with the unit on the bench? Why on earth have they hidden the distributor beneath all that plumbing for the fuel injection?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by PCole View Post
    What is the easiest way to check the points gap on a 505STI? Remove the whole distributor and set the gap with the unit on the bench? Why on earth have they hidden the distributor beneath all that plumbing for the fuel injection?
    I believe the distributor has inductive pick up. It has no points and should never need adjusting unless the bearings are worn. This is probably a good thing since it's near impossible to access.

The cap is the only serviceable item.

1000+ Posts

Default 505 dissy

Hi-I am sure they do that so we can ask the question!!!!Try getting to a Falcon dissy!!!
    Anyway that is an electronic dissy for memory so you may need to replace the cap -while the cap is off check that the bushes are not worn[if shaft rocks side to side then re-bush or another dissy necessary].I cannot recall accurately how I used to remove the cap but I am sure that I made some practical mods to make the job next time for someone else that may have to do the job.Wise to drop a little oil on the little piece of sponge in top of the shaft-DO NOT OVER OIL IT:2cents
    Pekay.

VIP Sponsor

Electronic so no points to adjust.
    The original design had the dissy sticking out the back of the head ,running off the camshaft. this was OK for the Renault 20 but no room in the 505 so had to go where it is.
    Graham

Default An embarrassed thank you ..

After six years of ownership, I have just discovered that my 505 STI doesn't have points!

I bought this car as an 'in between' my previous 504 and my next 504 (I am still looking for a good one). But this 505 has just gone and gone, despite my phobia about fuel injection.

For the last couple of days the car has been missing under load and I just assumed the problem was with points. But how to get to at them ...... but, thanks to the very prompt posts of fellow-froggers, I have had to look elsewhere as to to the cause of the problem.

And the cause??? ..... a barely perceptible arc between the low and high tension terminals on the ignition coil. A quick change of coils and the car is running as sweetly as ever.

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

hahaha... in fact, has no points, inductive pick up... shown here, on Shadowpucci's 404, with has an XN6 intake and ignition (SR Injection here, STI there)

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpucci View Post

(...)

Then, i contact a boy from “las flores”, a town 170km from my home. He need some stuff than i have to make his 505 working, and he gives me some things than i need to the next stage of overhaul. So we go, and we take this:
    505 SRInjection electronic distributor, ducellier, french.

Dry coil

Electronic ignition module

Tapita para la bomba de nafta comun

And the 505 SRinjection intake manifold and plenum

The distributor must be repaired, so we do it with molerpa

This one, doesn´t want to get out, so....

[img]http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5125/im
    g1188y.th.jpg[/img]

Cleaning it

Painted

New bushing
    A bit of art, with compressed air

And the aluminium crankcase, to fit an A.C.

More work on the intake manifold, take out the mechanical injectors

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

Icon10

Why on earth have they hidden the distributor beneath all that plumbing for the fuel injection?
    And you think yours is tricky to get to?

Mike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Access to distributor - 505 STI-digital-camera-028.jpg  
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Thread Information