406 rear rattle mystery
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 406 rear rattle mystery

My 2001 406 HDi has a knocking noise at the rear for some time. At the last service (380k) the dealer coudn't isolate the problem, so dropped the rear suspension and then re-bolted it. The noise went away. Now it has returned (400k), and this time I asked whether they would check any bushes in the suspension. They now say they have replaced the bushes, and the noise is worse than ever.

Interesting thing: the noise ONLY comes in when travelling straight ahead. When cornering iN EITHER DIRECTION the noise goes away. It is also more pronounced at low speed on 'jittery' surfaces, not on pronounced bumps, which do not create any noise in particular.

Generally, the car is very quiet, but we have too many straight roads out west for me to be able to keep turning corners just to keep the rattle subdued.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Default Rattle

Sway bar links(?). Will only rattle straight ahead. Though you would have thought that these would have been checked!
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Default track rods

Tracking rods on the rear wheels control the 4 wheel alignment. Had them changed and the noise disappeared for good. You need a 4 wheel alignment when the jobs done.
    PUG 406 STDT

Tadpole

Default track rods

Confirmed that would be rear track rods...

Replaced the left side on mine and rattle is gone..

Cheers,

Paul

What's been said above - Oh and a wheel alignment!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

My 307 has a noise like that .
    It is My toe bar tongue .
    Peugeot original [ hayman reese style } .
    Then may be you don't have a toe bar .
    John timbs
    307hdi

WLB

My '98 SRDT developed the same problem last year and I had the rear-end bushes done and replaced the rods. Shockers were also replaced. The noise is back again, exactly as before. The car is now approaching 393,000km.

I've come to believe that is just post-405 Peugeot fragility.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for all the comments. I think my real problem is that the local dealer has ceased to sell Peugeot, but has been able to maintain its identity as an official Peugeot service agent. Result is that none of their mechanics are Peugeot mechanics, and can only 'plug and play' when a Pug come in. So, if it's more that three weeks old they don't know anything about it.

Thanks again: I am off t Peugeotech in Brisbane in a few weeks time, so I will add this to the list.

Fellow Frogger!

Hey, Thanks for the comment about groundhog day - I followed the link and !!!!!!!!!!!

Good thing I'm not losing my marbles

Quote Originally Posted by marburg505 View Post
    I think my real problem is that the local dealer has ceased to sell Peugeot
    I'm concerned as to which dealer that might be. Dubbo?
    Current cars: Peugeot 307 HDi Touring; Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; Peugeot 406 HDi, Peugeot 505 Familiale
    Previous cars: 1965 Peugeot 404; 1972 Renault 16TS; 1970 Peugeo 504 1800; 1978 Peugeot 504 GL; 1976 Peugeot 504 LTI; 1984 Peugeot 505 Familiale; 1982 Peugeot 604 (converted to TD) 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet (better car than the 2002 model we replaced it with)

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, Dubbo.

Took the car on a trip to Canberra and back, diverting around floods etc. The rattle has become intolerable since the car was 'serviced' last week. In desperation I took it to a MECHANIC.

I have not been able to speak to him, as I collected the car after he had closed for the day yesterday, but there was this note on the driver's seat

"The Plastic Stabilizer bar connecting rod ball joints are worn require replacing.

I will try to make sense of this when I see him this morning. Does it mean anything to anyone?:confused:

Is it possible that someone who does not claim to be a Peugeot mechanic can find a problem when the Peugeot service centre has had tow failed attempts to fix the problem?

Another comment was : refitted exhaust shield - Disconnected hand brake cable and refitted correctly to the vehicle. ( Note that the hand brake had been adjusted during 'service'.)

Think I should go back to 504s?:)
    Last edited by marburg505; 8th March 2012 at 07:38 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

I should add that this is the same dealer who had a mechanic who did a great repair on the 605 air conditioning when he replaced the internal module . ( photos were shown on an earlier post.)
    Needless to say this mechanic has gone, apparently leaving only the 'plug and play' boys.

Yes it does make sense. The roll bar drop links are made from plastic. Yes they do make the sounds you are describing when worn. Get them replaced.
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's.

'19 308 GTi
    '15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks again to you all.

I have spoken to the mechanic, who said he checked the rear suspension carefully. He noted that the dealer had replaced the top bushes in the suspension ( Their solution to the noise problem), and then said it was difficult to pin down. However, he has established that ONLY the passenger side link need replacing, so this has now been organised.

I will keep you posted

Might sound a bit silly but are you sure its not simply an exhaust mount problem? Rattling zorst pipes can sound like all sorts of things.

2011 Peugeot 207 HDi Touring Outdoor

2004 Peugeot 206 XT 1.6 Manual.

Past: 1953 Thames 100E van, 1966 Austin 1800, 1972 XA Falcon V8, 1973 Peugeot 504,
    1984 Mitsubishi Colt, Holden HX Kingswood, 1983 Toyota Corolla XX, 1988 Toyota Corolla 4WD, 2007 Peugeot 307XSE. + various company Falcauriodores.

Next: 2007 Peugeot 407HDi Coupe

Fellow Frogger!

The mechanic who found out that the sway bar link was rs also refitted the exhaust shield, and ran the hand brake cable in it's proper channel instead of leaving it along the exhaust pipe where the 'service' department of the agent had left it. In doing so he would have been aware of any exhaust related movement, as he was looking for ANYTHING which might have rattled. Also, it is not all that likely that this would be directly related to steering, whereas the sway bar links are.

Thanks for the comment, I will keep it in mind. Just because it seems reasonable for one thing to be checked doesn't mean that it has.

Where, and who, is this proper mechanic?

I think we all deserve to know and support him!
    Current cars: Peugeot 307 HDi Touring; Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; Peugeot 406 HDi, Peugeot 505 Familiale
    Previous cars: 1965 Peugeot 404; 1972 Renault 16TS; 1970 Peugeo 504 1800; 1978 Peugeot 504 GL; 1976 Peugeot 504 LTI; 1984 Peugeot 505 Familiale; 1982 Peugeot 604 (converted to TD) 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet (better car than the 2002 model we replaced it with)

Fellow Frogger!

Noel's Auto, Wellington.
    He WAS trained on Peugeots when they were real cars, so he doesn't turn his nose up at them, but rarely sees them now. Today when I was there he also had an R8, and an Armstrong Siddley Sapphire but , of course, mainly more 'usual' cars.

Thread Information