504 air filter/weber carb
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 504 air filter/weber carb

I've finally collected all the pieces i need to convert the Solex carb on my '74 504 to a Weber DGEV. The DGEV has its own air filter that sits on top of its square ports but I'd rather use the original Peugeot canister air filter. This is where the problem comes in. The Y-shaped connector I currently have to link the filter canister to the dual carbs is round at all ends as was need for the Solex (see photos). I obviously need round at the air filter end and square at the carby ends of the Y. I'd appreciate any thoughts about 1) what this Y-shaped pieces is even called, 2) where i might find one or 3) what other vehicles i could find in a salvage yard might use such an arrangement. thanks

Advertisement

russ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 504 air filter/weber carb-photo0505.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by rpieper View Post
    I've finally collected all the pieces i need to convert the Solex carb on my '74 504 to a Weber DGEV. The DGEV has its own air filter that sits on top of its square ports but I'd rather use the original Peugeot canister air filter. This is where the problem comes in. The Y-shaped connector I currently have to link the filter canister to the dual carbs is round at all ends as was need for the Solex (see photos). I obviously need round at the air filter end and square at the carby ends of the Y. I'd appreciate any thoughts about 1) what this Y-shaped pieces is even called, 2) where i might find one or 3) what other vehicles i could find in a salvage yard might use such an arrangement. thanks

russ
    Russ,

There is a custom made plastic doover the adapts the weber inlet to the air filter.

Good condition ones are rare as rocking horse poo in Australia. I can't see you finding one in USA since they weren't standard fitment(?).

You may do something with a couple of silicon hose bends, but my experience is that the hose won't clamp well to the carby and keeps slipping off.

The alternative is a aftermarket filter.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

russ,
    If your Weber has an oval top you can use the plastic air filter adapter from a later Solex twin choke set up.

Shift that fuel filter to the tank to pump side, no pressure just suction. Safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post

Shift that fuel filter to the tank to pump side, no pressure just suction. Safer.
    I second that. Also, keep a regular eye on the hoses between the fuel pump and carby. There is only a small amount of pressure put out by the fuel pump, but they are very close to the distributor.
    I have saved a few cars with dodgy hoses which were just about to spew fuel onto the distributor.
    And I once had a car catch fire because of that .

Fellow Frogger!

In thinking about this a bit more and looking at the intake side of the weber DGEV, its pretty obvious that the shape of the weber is too complicated to ever have any hose or hoses fit snugly in as is the case with the Solex. I think i would need a plenum to match the weber, then run the Peugeot air filter canister into the plenum more or less like a cold air intake system. K&N does sell such a plenum but I'd rather use the $150 for other things. But i will get on moving that fuel filter. I have replaced the fuel lines recently and I'd hate for that misplaced $2 filter to set my car aflame.

Russ,
    Have you got a picture of the top of your DGEV ? Weber. I'm thinking it may be a DGAV.

Fellow Frogger!

On my weber I have the plastic hose of a 505 which I think had a twin choke solex.Fits straight on and has been there for about 25 years! Neil

Fellow Frogger!

Hmm, now you've got me thinking. First, I stand corrected, my new Weber is a DFEV, the photo is below (left) along with a shot of my current Solex dual tandem carby in the center. I'm not sure if any Solex carb had the shape of this weber but i suppose a plenum/adapter from a pre-fuel injection 505 with a twin choke solex might come close? The photo on the right is the weber with its own gasket and air filter on top, looks OK, might have to make do with this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 504 air filter/weber carb-photo0507.jpg   504 air filter/weber carb-photo0506.jpg   504 air filter/weber carb-photo0508.jpg  

1000+ Posts

Default twin carbs

i had a 504 wagon with that set up [twin carby with sequential linkage ]i chanced it over to a twin choke from a sedan wreck i had ,most 504s iv seen here [in ozz]have the duel throat ,maybe you can find the air intake pipe you require out of europe ,im presuming you must have a manifold to fit it .isnt there a guy up in Maine who has lots of old Peugeot stuff i e mailed him some time ago but lost the contact in a computer crash PUGS

That Weber looks from the top just like the Webers people put on 504s and 505s here in Oz.
    They fit well onto an inlet manifold for a single carby Solex. Your engine has three inlet holes, doesn't it ?
    The bolt holes for carby/manifold match up exactly, but the top of the inlet manifold where the carby joins it has to be ground out slightly as they don't quite match. This is a very easy job. Also I seem to remember putting long bolts in there to hold carby to inlet manifold instead of the existing studs.
    With that kind of air cleaner sitting on top, they give a really throaty roar. You can really hear it sucking in air. Makes you feel like you are getting heaps more power. And in fact you DO get SOME more power. And better fuel economy with a Weber.

If you go for the quieter type of motoring, you can fit an air cleaner from a Ford Falcon ( I believe they call them Grenadas in the States). They have a metal body and this muffles the sound somewhat.
    Many of the carburettored Grenadas came out with Weber carbies. However the top of these air cleaners is a very tight fit on 505s......the bonnet rubs on it. I'm not sure about 504s.
    Just remembered you want to use the Peugeot air cleaner. I remember making up a connector using the Weber bit that sits in top of the carby from a Grenada and the other half from the part that goes to a 504 air cleaner (it is metal in Australia....yours may be different, for all I know) . And I think I MIG welded them together.
    BTW, is your Weber specifically for a Peugeot ? Or usually on some other 2 litre car ?
    Last edited by Beano; 6th March 2012 at 09:18 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

as I said... keep it simple.... the 505 [carby] one fits straight on. Neil

If they fit, go for it !

Fellow Frogger!

I think you're right on this one Neil, below is a photo (ebay) of a gasket set for a 505 solex carburetor and that gasket on the lower right sure looks like it would fit my weber. If that's the case then the hose that fits onto the 505 solex should also be good to go for my weber. So if i can find a carbureted 505 in a local salvage yard i should be in business, this will likley take a while but not impossible, most 505s i've seen salvaged around here are turbo versions. In the interim i might have better luck on-line although since the piece I'm looking for doesn't really have a name (hose? plenum?) it wont be easy. But thanks all for the info, at least now I know what I'm looking for!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 504 air filter/weber carb-505-solex-gasket.jpg  
    Last edited by rpieper; 7th March 2012 at 04:05 AM. Reason: added photo

Quote Originally Posted by rpieper View Post
    I think you're right on this one Neil, below is a photo (ebay) of a gasket set for a 505 solex carburetor
    It suits this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 504 air filter/weber carb-hechams-carburateur-2-26-6-10.jpg  
    Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

Russ,
    The dry element pancake type filter ex Ford Cortina [your Pinto ?] will fit and looks ok too.

http://www.knfilters.com/Racing/plenum.htm

Hi Russ,

That first one should work if you're looking for an out of the box solution. You'd just need to adapt the hose to that casting then.

Glad you found your parts to do the carb swap. I confirmed the settings on this site with what my carb had (32/36) and it's been perfect.

BTW: Did you end up finding just the intake to use the Weber and the single port head? I thought you'd have to do the head too so I'm curious if there was an intake that works with the Weber and that head.

Rabin

Thread Information