S2 MI 16 timing belt marks?
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default S2 MI 16 timing belt marks?

Hi-I am putting back together a S2 MI 16 having dramas lining up the belt as the manufacturers timing belt marks are 5 or 6 teeth out of whack.Unfortunately the original belt has become self propelled & disappeared!!! Does anyone have any words of wisdom as i would love to get this machine mobile.
    Many Thanks,
    Pekay.

Advertisement
    Last edited by pekay49; 4th March 2012 at 08:35 PM. Reason: typo

There are no relevant marks on the belt. You need to pin the crankshaft with an 8mm pin through the harmonic balancer to the block, and pin the cam pulleys with 6.5mm pins to the head. This locks the engine at 90 BTDC so you can safely fit the belt.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

Hi Peter

thought I'd follow on from this thread rather than start a new one... I'm changing the timing belt on my s1 mi16, I see a locator hole in the block at around 8'oclock for the camshaft pulley but Haynes says it should be at 2'oclock. This would mean removing the rear cover which looks painful. Does the 8'oclock locator sound right? The engines in a 205 so it's already severely tight so the less bits I have to remove the better.

thanks

Phil

Viewed from the cam belt end, with head gasket face about horizontal, the rear cam sprocket pin is about 5:30, while your forward sprocket pin is about 8:30.

The plastic rear section to your cover does not come off; to do so requires cam sprocket removal.

1000+ Posts

The pics in the book show the head block joint on the horizontal so with the engine cantered over it dousnt look quite right as peter says there are 3 pins one on each cam and one on the crank PUGS

Tadpole

Great thanks guys!

Thread Information