307 HDi 2Lt 80,000Km Service
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 307 HDi 2Lt 80,000Km Service

Hi.

I need to perform the 80,000Km "C" service on my wifes 2006, 307, 2Lt, HDi, 6 Speed Auto, Touring.

I have checked the Handbook and Vehicle Service booket and there is little information therein. Other than the usual checks & inspections the manuals suggest replacing the following:
    • Engine Oil - 5.25 Lt, no viscosity grade specified?
    • Coolant - No capacity or type specified?
    • Brake fluid - DOT 4, that's easy.
    • Filter - engine oil
    • Filter - engine air
    • Filter - diesel.
    Can anyone suggest answers to above other than "contact your local Peugeot dealer". I prefer to keep the dollars in my pocket and not line theirs! The handbook suggests Total lubricants, but I will most likely select Castrol products.

Also any suggestion on where to purchase the service parts from? I am in Melbourne regularly, and could pick them up easily.

I am an old A Grade Mechanic, and am cofident in my ability to perform the service, however are there any traps, tricks or suggestions that people may be able to pass on. I haven't had a close look at the engine and drain points as yet, but it can't be that difficult.

Of interest on page 17 of the service manual it suggests replacing "...all fluid seals in the brake hydraulic system..." every three years or 60,000km. Are they on drugs! What a great money spinner with the associated use of the word "brakes" & "safety" for justification. I have never done this, and believe if the brake fluid in regularly changed, seal replacement would be un-necessary. Certainly not at 80,000km! Any comments?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Advertisement

Default Been there also and still there

I do my own servicing now our 307 2lt Man. is out of warranty. Done 128,000k. Parts from Caravelle in Boxhill, very helpfull and quick to send. They sell OEM filters. I use a synthetic Oil 5w/30 and made a tool up to remove the oil filter cover out of a cut down socket with a short lever welded to it. Easy to damage the a/c condensor fins if you are a bit careless. The sump drain is at the rear of the sump and thats after you get the 2 plastic covers off. Need to jack up or use car ramps unless you have 1 metre arms and very thin. I Bought a Haymes w/shop manual and use the guide from the previous reply which is helpful for all of the checks. Contact me if you need any help. Pleased to help.

what do you do with the used oil?

What do you mean "do with the used oil"? Disposal. Recyled etc

Quote Originally Posted by andrepug View Post
    what do you do with the used oil?
    You could always try one of these.

http://www.kroll-heaters.com.au/
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's.

'19 308 GTi
    '15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

Quote Originally Posted by Whippet View Post
    Hi.
    I have checked the Handbook and Vehicle Service booket and there is little information therein.
    Peugeot Australia's Servicing page has a few useful guides (like the one posted above on servicing schedule) and also includes recommended oils.

The only thing I would caution with using Castrol products is to make sure the oil you use conforms with the ACEA C2/C3 spec, for low ash oils. I believe you may find a sticker under the bonnet that mentions the C2/C3 spec. The diesel particle filter needs this kind of oil to prevent premature clogging.

I find it hard to believe you have a servicing booklet that doesn't tell you stuff, but from memory, that's what they did with the 307. For some reason they removed the servicing section of the owners manual (which before then had all the specs of oil, coolant, etc.) and left tech savvy owners with more questions than answers.

Peugeot specify a long life coolant called PROCOR TM 108, REVKOGEL 2000 or GLYSANTIN G33. I think in 2006 they were still specifying a 2 yr replacement but these days it is "sealed for life".

Castrol's website will suggest it all for you. It's up to you to decide if it's ok or not

French Connection or EAI are two Melbourne-based mobs that should be able to supply all the service items you need - pick up or mail order.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Simon and Lockwood 116.

Thanks for your responses. I have been interstate with my work and not had a chance to check this forum.

Castrol suggest Edge Sport 0W-40 Synthetic. It does conform to ACEA C2, C3; so I will most likely use that in the engine. Will have a look under the bonnet tomorrow to check out Lockwood 116 comments. Looks like I might need to make some tools.

I have sent two emails to Melbourne suppliers and had response from one.

Will let you know.

Thanks again.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi andrepug. Just clicked on your link, uesful information thanks.

Fellow Frogger!

Default 307 HDi 2Lt 80,000Km Service - Sticky Fuel Filter Housing.

Hi.

Finally performed the 80,000 km oil and filter change tonight. I removed a fabricated bracket from over top of oil filter, gave much easier access to the filter. Used a large (1 1/6th) socket and flexible drive, to remove & replace the plastic oil filter cartridge housing.

I did not change the diesel fuel filter. I removed the inlet & outlet lines and electrical connection, and using a large socket tried to rotate the cartridge housing anti-clockwise, but was scared to apply to much torque, lest I damage and break the plastic housing. Any clues? I assume I just rotate the plastic housing until the sealing O-ring "lets go" and the housing will rotate easier then? I applied a reasonable force but did not want to push to hard in case there was a special method of removing. Any knowledge gratefully received.

Of interest the oil I selected was determined by who had a 5Lt plus 1Lt container as I needed 5.25Lt of engine oil. I didn't want to purchase 5Lt plus 5Lt and end up with 4.75Lt left over!
    I ended up using Penrite Enviro Plus 0W-40, it is a low/mid SAPS oil meeting ACEA C2.C3 specification, and suitable for diesel particulate filter after treatment applications. It wasnt my first choice, but should be OK.

Thread Information