504 seat mounts
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 504 seat mounts

Fellow Frogger!

Default 504 seat mounts

G'day,

I spent a bit of time today putting new carpet into my 504. When I went to bolt the seat mounts back into the transmission tunnel and along the floor near the door sills, the threads were mostly buggered or too short to get a nut onto.
    It was looking like I'd have to drill holes through and use bolts to attach it, but a friend of mine lent me a tool I'd never heard of. This thing was like a pop riveter, but it pop riveted thread into sheet metal. Saved me a heap of time mucking round with bolts. It's really useful to put threads into metal when you can't get access behind the metal. I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Advertisement

I'll be interested to see this tool.

Although 504s are metric, the bolts holding the seats in are imperial....believe it or not !
    I'm not sure how many years/models they did this for.

1000+ Posts

The threads are stuffed because the bolts were done up with a powerful air drill and a completely unsympathetic assembler who would make no attempt to ensure he had the thread. The seat belts were the same. I always thought the threads would be damaged.
    The 203 had a few non-metric bolts and nuts. Not many but I've found a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo504 View Post
    G'day,

I spent a bit of time today putting new carpet into my 504. When I went to bolt the seat mounts back into the transmission tunnel and along the floor near the door sills, the threads were mostly buggered or too short to get a nut onto.
    It was looking like I'd have to drill holes through and use bolts to attach it, but a friend of mine lent me a tool I'd never heard of. This thing was like a pop riveter, but it pop riveted thread into sheet metal. Saved me a heap of time mucking round with bolts. It's really useful to put threads into metal when you can't get access behind the metal. I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    They are called popnuts or rivnuts. The hand tool is around $40. The nuts are available in metric and imperial. It's a very handy tool to own.

http://www.rivetnuttool.com/

You mate must have used and air tool to set them. The max size the hand tool will set is 6mm or 1/4 inch??

Fellow Frogger!

I've finished putting the carpet into the 504 and it looks really good.
    The tool is called a Nutsert, made by Textron. I took a few photos of the thread in the 504, but they all turned out too blurry, so I've just attached a pic of the tool itself.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 504 seat mounts-dscn0360.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

Rivnut, Popnut or Nutsert, just varieties of the same tool with different trade names.

Can anyone give a few examples of situations in which this tool might be handy ? It looks interesting, but my brain's locked up at the moment....too much other stuff happening in my life, some of it stressful.
    And what sort of tension does it put on the bolt ?

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    Can anyone give a few examples of situations in which this tool might be handy ? It looks interesting, but my brain's locked up at the moment....too much other stuff happening in my life, some of it stressful.
    Say you wanted to bolt something to the sill and didn't easily have access to the reverse side.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Bolting stuff to inside the engine bay. Where it is a pain to reach the nut at the back. In fact anywhere a non structural fixing in a position where you can't easily reach the back to hold a nut.

Because of the fact that their only fixing to panel is pucker, I'd be a bit wary about using them for high load situations.

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default One truly international standard.

I'll be interested to see this tool.

Although 504s are metric, the bolts holding the seats in are imperial....believe it or not !
    I'm not sure how many years/models they did this for.
    The seat belt retention bolts are all to an SAE code, so all imperial.

Thread Information