504 GL 2litre sedan air conditioner required
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 504 GL 2litre sedan air conditioner required

Does anybody know about a suitable air conditioner and possibly not a genuine Peugeot part?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Peter L View Post
    Does anybody know about a suitable air conditioner and possibly not a genuine Peugeot part?
    One of these:
    http://speedyairspares.com.au/produc...a-100-191.html

Plus a Peugeot 505 aluminium sump with compressor mounting lugs. Get the compressor mounting hardware plus the double pulley as well. The compressor shown will bolt up.

Fit one of these of the on front of the the condenser :
    http://speedyairspares.com.au/produc...n-116-205.html

The neatest installation I've seen is when the top of the console was cut to mount the under dash unit central. The radio/stereo needs to relocated. They will squeeze in under the glove box but passenger knee room suffers.

Also it's a good idea to fit a 505 cross flow radiator out of GR or SR. Especially in QLD. You need to make some custom hoses and radiator mounts.

It also helps to fit an idle up system to increase idle revs so the air con doesn't stall the car. 505 carbies have this built in.

Or you can use one of these
    http://www.highgateair.com.au/images...-Resistors.pdf (RE17010)
    but the aircon will turn off at idle.

Best of luck.

EDIT: You may need to lift the battery up a higher to miss the compressor.
    Last edited by robmac; 1st March 2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: correction

Fellow Frogger!

Default 504 air

There are no genuine Peugeot factory air systems for 504's. They were all after market but sold as an accessory. The early ones[ that were optional] had the under dash units placed under the dash and sitting on top of the cut out centre console. These were very close to the driver's left knee and the passenger's right knee. These are very efficient but do not blow cold air towards the windscreen which in Qld can get very hot on the faces of passenger and driver.
    The later systems had two small vents in the upper part of the centre console with a large panel covering the area under the glovebox. This contained the fan unit. These are also not good at cooling the dash and windscreen areas but much better than no air or passing out with heat exhaustion in central Qld.

I have most of the parts for one of the later units.
    What part of Qld are you in?
    Cheers Geoff.

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

Quote Originally Posted by geedee View Post
    There are no genuine Peugeot factory air systems for 504's.

YES! THERE ARE...

But maybe not in Australia...

http://lomasdezamora.olx.com.ar/equi...-iid-167668614

http://repuestos-automotores.vivavis...e-504/44040251

Since 1985 was integrated to the dash. Previously, on the GRII only to the face on this models... (see the front outlets)

and later, with the possibility to select. (93-99)

test of the 504 SRX (the top version of it, with XN1A engine)

http://www.testdelayer.com.ar/minite...ot-504-srx.htm

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

Hi I have all the a/c parts that go inside 504 they are out of a 1979 504 . X2 one is from a auto and one is from a manual .
    Regards Jamie

series 2 405 mi16
    205 si
    series 1 205 gti
    series 3 205 with a gti6 motor project
    1970 404 ute 504 ti motor project
    parts cars 2 205 si's 306 sedan
    2004 206 gti180

Fellow Frogger!

Agree with 505 sump, then new parts from CoolAire with the choice of a number of an under (passenger) dash unit - not really expensive as new parts. Allows the centre console to be removed without having to unplumb the A/C each time. Much simpler, but a little less elegant.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Also it's a good idea to fit a 505 cross flow radiator out of GR or SR. Especially in QLD. You need to make some custom hoses and radiator mounts.
    Robmac, could you please explain what exactly the mounts would look like. I always thought from what people wrote here that the 505 cross flow rad is a direct fit in the 504 .

Quote Originally Posted by geedee View Post
    There are no genuine Peugeot factory air systems for 504's.
    There are indeed

Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

You will find an under dash unit is most efficient system for cooling. The chilled air is straight off evaporator coil and "in your face".

Integrated systems , especially aftermarket integrated systems tend lack the air chill because the air heats up in the ducting.

They have few drawbacks and can still be used in conjunction with an existing heater for demist. Quick and no fuss to install as well.

Chadi, I've never fitted a 505 xflow radiator to a 504, but they certainly need different brackets on a 404 install. The hose are different on the 505 motor as well.

Im researching this also and thought I'd bring it back to life to avoid future threads as i am in the stages of an install now and will probably need some help, the new dashes don't look that bad, but really prefer the older style, it's just a shame to have to cut up the centre console if you want to mount the evaporator in the centre,

as I plan to get some help with the install I will load up pics in a few days, I had plan to rip apart the compressor unit and make my own housing with ducting to the old sweaty spots directional to face and feet and maybe a single blower with a directional vent in the middle console in the back BUT!

the unit I have received of a fellow frogger, thanks gerry, is sexy in its own way and should maybe be displayed in the car, (i have a weird thing for old fashioned stuff) and are now contemplating under the glove box as originally made fore, with one duct added from the side of the evaporator going to the drivers side unde the dash, for prevention of sweaty baby sacks.

or - now I haven't checked this out yet - trying to plumb some cold air in the the existing ducting

Fellow Frogger!

I have just gone through this exercise.

My A/C fan was also my heater fan and mounted high up in the centre above the radio. It was a neat unit but the fan blew up.
    To get at the fan you have to release the gas.

I bought an underdash unit from speedtairsupplies as robmac suggested on this forum. I went back to the original heater unit.

There are 2 underdash units on their site. I purchased the slightly smaller unit and this allowed me to keep the air vent on the left in operation, which was great.

The condenser and fan in the front are from a 505 and the centre support behind the grill had to be nibbled a bit to fit them....these should be easy to find. Goodluck Bob

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Molerpa View Post

and later, with the possibility to select. (93-99)

What is this??😱😖

It's a South American 504. Made for many years after the French stopped production.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

yeah, i know, but why so ugly?

Fellow Frogger!

i have a crossflow radiator from a 505GR fitted to my 504 . If you fit a GR water pump the top and bottom radiator hose fit up . There is an extra outlet on the pump at the bottom that will needing blocking off

Thread Information