Where are all the old cars in New Zealand ?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Where are all the old cars in New Zealand ?

Just returned from holiday in NZ . Beautifull scenery etc ,but where are all the old cars . I was last there in the 70/s and it was a car spotters paridise then with people keeping older cers longer than they did in Aus .Now they are all s\h imports from Japan and apart from a few restored classics you never see anything from the 60/s or 70/s on the road ,as you do in Aus. I saw one 504 and it was in a wrecking yard on top of other cars .Maybe the 6 monthly fitness test has killed them off

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Default Old Pugs

Hi -I am wondering if there were ever any 305's imported into N.Z..

Pekay.

I think you'll find the availability of 2nd hand Japanese cars removed the need to keep older, less safe and less fuel efficient cars on the road. I suspect a lot of French cars fitted the "older" label.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Yep, as a consequence of deregulation, second hand japanese imports are unrestricted so you can pick up a late model japper for very little. Its not economically feasible to keep your old slapper on the road when you can buy a low k jap imort for a few thousand.

2011 Peugeot 207 HDi Touring Outdoor

2004 Peugeot 206 XT 1.6 Manual.

Past: 1953 Thames 100E van, 1966 Austin 1800, 1972 XA Falcon V8, 1973 Peugeot 504,
    1984 Mitsubishi Colt, Holden HX Kingswood, 1983 Toyota Corolla XX, 1988 Toyota Corolla 4WD, 2007 Peugeot 307XSE. + various company Falcauriodores.

Next: 2007 Peugeot 407HDi Coupe

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post

Pekay.
    A couple of show cars and some private imports. I owned one once, I suspect that it's rust has long since been turned into a Toymota

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Yep, as a consequence of deregulation, second hand japanese imports are unrestricted so you can pick up a late model japper for very little. Its not economically feasible to keep your old slapper on the road when you can buy a low k jap imort for a few thousand.
    Rules are changing/have changed. Now we see people having to keep their Jappa slappers on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post

Pekay.
    Not officially. There may be the odd personal import.

Past: 1953 Thames 100E van, 1966 Austin 1800, 1972 XA Falcon V8, 1973 Peugeot 504,
    1984 Mitsubishi Colt, Holden HX Kingswood, 1983 Toyota Corolla XX, 1988 Toyota Corolla 4WD, 2007 Peugeot 307XSE. + various company Falcauriodores.

I just did 4,000 Km's around the South Island and was surprised too at the number of imports - until I experienced their registration system. You have to get your car inspected for a 'WOF' every six months. While for a new car this is relatively ok, but anything with a leak or two or worn anything - you have to get it fixed or it's off the road. Sure safety is something that can't be argued against, but NZ'eds road accident stats are no different to ours (in Tassie as long as you pay your rego you can go for years driving an old car without any inspection).
    I agree the Japanese imports are so cheap - we bought a 1997 Toyota Lucida (Tarago essentially) with all the bells and whistles for $3,800 AUD with 111,000 Km's and excellent condition - there is little incentive to drive an old car without modern features. Having said that, in the deep south there is a string demand for Aussie muscle cars.
    Last edited by ntr1972; 29th February 2012 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Spelling

UFO

I think that some of the oldies are finding their way westwards. I saw another one on Monday night. A traction that came from the the South Island.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I have found a few 504's 505's etc They are here but rare.

The 6 monthly WOF thing is the big killer for older cars. It's amazing how quickly six months comes around.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    V8 504

I spent the 70's and 80's driving, then, old cars and the wof system was no big deal. You just had to keep the thing roadworthy. No leaking exhaust, no worn out tyres, lights must all work and no broken lenses. No worn brakes or bushes.
    Pretty much all the things to keep the care safe as it was designed to be. It meant you could drive an old car but you had to maintain it to a 'roadworthy' standard.
    It got difficult when you tried to slip something past the inspectors. They were not stupid and knew what was going on and then they could get difficult because they knew you were trying to take them for a fool.
    You had to keep on the good side of the inspectors.
    On the other hand sometimes you got one that was just in a bad mood and if you gave them any greif they could make your life very difficult.
    I never had any problems with them, even with my 1953 Thames 100E van with a 375 Consul motor in it. I just nodded and smiled and fixed anything they wanted fixing.

Tadpole

Default Where are all the old cars in New Zealand

The ability to buy cheap or relatively cheap jap imports has made it easy to own a relatively new car, so for many, why keep the oldy?
    As regards 504 and 505s, by Oz standards they were never here in great numbers and those that are tend to be kept for special occasions such as Club runs and the like. The rest have most likely sucummed to the evil rust.
    I drive an 86 505GTI on a regular daily basis and get more comments on it from people than I do for my 406 Coupe! The rarity factor??
    Things are changing here though as regards Jap imports, as now they have to be 2007 or later, and as such the prices are going up for not only those cars, but also for the pre 2007 cars coming up for sale.

Thread Information