306 XSi Front anti-roll bar drop link issue
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306 XSi Front anti-roll bar drop link issue

For a while now I've been hearing a few odd clunking/clicking noises emanating from near the front axle, particularly when traversing uneven surfaces at low-ish speeds, such as certain driveways/speedbumps.
    I decided to have a look around for the culprit, and noticed that the right-front anti-roll bar drop link could easily be moved around, I was wondering if the drop link requires replacing, and if that is a very difficult job to attempt for someone like me, with a limited array of tools and skill.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 306 XSi Front anti-roll bar drop link issue-droplink2.jpg  
    1999 Peugeot 306 XSi

Fellow Frogger!

The ball joint should move freely. You are looking for axial movement which can be induced by putting the ball in the palm of your hand and pushing back and forth against the link. The upper ball on each link also wears and can be checked in the same way. Easy job, will need t30 torx bit and 16mm ring spanner. Some aftermarket links provide 14mm nuts for replacement.

Had another look at it today, neither of the drop links seem to move a considerable amount when applying force from underneath, but I noticed that the upper ball joint on the left link seems to be seized somewhat, the lower joint has some, yet not as much movement as both the right-hand joints do, yet the upper joint feels almost impossible to move, is something wrong here?
    1999 Peugeot 306 XSi

if its the roll bar links making the noise, I'd expect it to make a clunk noise as the cars weight shifts from left to right in cornering.

Dose it sound kinda like a rattle that has gradually gotten louder?
    I'm having a similar issue with my 306 which i believe to be worn brake calliper slide pins allowing the calliper to rattle.
    I'm waiting for new pins to come from France.
    check to see if there is movement it the brake calliper.
    I'll let you know if i have any success.

if im not mistaken, they have got plastic internals. absolute rubbish. seen a few hanging off when there in for a service lol
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

Just leaving an update to my previous post.
    I changed the guide pins in my brake callipers on the weekend and road tested for 2 days now and no more rattles/clunks from front end and the brakes are much smother now. (felt kind'a like warped brakes but not always there)
    Before I changed the pins I could grab the calliper and move it and it would make a clanking noise. (best checked with wheels off)
    Visible wear on the pins were minimal so it doesn't take much for it to become noisy.
    The new pins I got from Peugeot where longer then the original ones so maybe its a known problem.

Anyway, just food for though.
    If you can't find the problem anywhere else, maybe this is your problem.
    Let us know how you go.
    Last edited by gromzx; 13th March 2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Whup, rather late reply here, I've put the front end on stands, and have been looking again for the source of the noise. Something I noticed, apart from the dodgy sounding CV joint, was that a rather acute knocking sound was coming from what seemed like the top of the driver side strut, when right-hand steering lock was being applied/removed. Still being a newbie with cars, this has me rather puzzled, does anyone have an idea of what this could be?
    1999 Peugeot 306 XSi

Quote Originally Posted by Dan93 View Post
    For a while now I've been hearing a few odd clunking/clicking noises emanating from near the front axle, particularly when traversing uneven surfaces at low-ish speeds, such as certain driveways/speedbumps.
    I've found that clunks when going over speedhumps can be engine mounts. Have a good look at the right side upper and lower mounts

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    I've found that clunks when going over speedhumps can be engine mounts. Have a good look at the right side upper and lower mounts

Tony.
    I actually had a broken engine mount fixed about a year ago, pretty sure it was the lower mount. Anyhow, the noises made by that seemed to be much more regular, and much more irritating haha. My new noise seems to have more sporadic occurrences, and when the car is on stands, can be felt slightly through the steering, and through the top of the suspension strut, while applying steering lock. I've been doing a bit of research, and these signs seem to point towards a worn/broken bearing near the top of the strut, but I am still not 100% certain on what is going on.
    1999 Peugeot 306 XSi

To check for worn components the only way to do this properly is to put it up on a hoist. Then you can test the suspension using a steel lever to check for movement Your original description to me sounds like worn wishbone bushes and/or balljoint. My next guess would be either strut top bushes or drop link arms but it's a process of elimination and needs to be done on a hoist good luck

Yeah what he said. But to add the rear lower arm bushes are a common failure on 306's. So have a look there
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Thread Information