405 Diesel Turbo -timing belt tensioner tool
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 405 Diesel Turbo -timing belt tensioner tool

Hi, Does anyone have the dimensions of the tool needed to retain the timing belt spring in the housing so that i can replace the worn out tensioner. I want to knock one up out of some angle iron.
    Thanks
    Macca

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Default tool

iv replaced belts and tensioners in the past and dont recall having to use a tool,to retain the spring ,on recolection theres a square hole in the tensioner arm that fits a socket drive just wind that up till you can get the retaining bolt in ,wind it right up and lock it till you get the belt on then let the bolt loose so the wheel is against the belt ,rotate crank a coupla times ,lock it up .Just checked with an old tensioner in the shed its a 3/8 socket drive .PUGS

Tadpole

I reckon if i let the tensioner go the spring will fly off in to the never never

1000+ Posts

Default nar

the spring has a little piston on it that pushes against the tensioner bracket .,just ease the bracket back and im pritty sure it just stays there .never had any problem with things flying off ,you could check that the piston is running free in the housing when its apart, clean it up and put a little grease on it ,the spring only really douse anything when the lock nut is loosened .PUGS ps think theres a hole in the timing cover so this bolt can be loosened and belt re tensioned without removing the cover ,i may be mistaken .

Fellow Frogger!

I had a bit of trouble with mine when I replaced the belt. It is OK if you are not replacing the tensioner but if you take it off without anything holding the plunger and spring it will fall out when you take the tensioner bracket off. The book says that you need a piece of material bolted onto two studs and folded underneath to hold the plunger in position. I actually propped mine up with a tomato stake from the floor but I would not advise it. Just be aware that if the plunger is able to work the way it should it will fall out when you take the tensioner bracket. off.
    Regards Dennis.

Tadpole

Thanks Dennis.

I have to replace the tensioner so it looks like I will have to manufacture a bracket of some sort.

Thread Information