404 conversion
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 404 conversion

Tadpole

404 conversion

I've seen a 504 with a v6 and 5 speed transplant, how would you go doing likewise to a 404. Is the engine bay big enough to accomodate a v6 I'm sure they would be strong enough.They put 327 cu inch motors hk Holdens if the old HK handled that much power I'm sure a 404 would be up to the task

Advertisement

Gus
    There was some talk of this about a month or two ago in another 404 thread on the forum.

I think the general attitude was that 404s were much less suited to large power/torque upgrades than 403s, mostly due to a more flexible body, but I might be wrong - look the thread up!

Remember that as well as transplanting more power, you're transplanting a motor that would weigh a good chunk more than the original.

Tadpole
    Maybe the v6 could or would sit back a bit further in the engine bay. Or on a liter note the back doors could be welded up, that should stiffen it up a bit, and it would give enough space to fit one mean mother of a system.

Gus
    ... or a rear mounted engine, if you wanted a chunky project. ... and didn't want a VW Type 3.

You could get a 404 wagon and convert it to a panel van wink

<small>[ 19 May 2003, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Gus ]</small>

The engine wouldn't be much heavier, if at all. Most issues, I'm sure, could be resolved... you'd probably need extractors to clear steering etc, make up engine mounts, you wouldn't move the engine back at all.

In all probability you'd fit a centre from a late 505 wagon diff, the'd bolt more or less straight up to the axle tubes, but you'd have to modify the torque tube to suit the diff.

A gearbox housing similar to the late 505 4-speed auto one would be needed as well, as you'd ideally use the BA10/5 box.

The body would take it, I'm sure.

Fellow Frogger!
    Well if you did that to a wagon what could you do to a ute? it could end up a sling shot dragster, 39 seconds over the distance, a bit slow, but boy does it handle, very desirable in a drag car sorry drag ute

What does that mean?

Tadpole
    Doesn't mean much at all Ray,a load of nonsense really I will try to keep it reel in future

Thread Information