Putty around oil filler?
  • Register
  • Help
    nJm

Putty around oil filler?

I changed the oil in my 505 GR today, and noticed that there was small amounts of a cream/orange coloured sludge in the gauze filter and also in the dipstick tube. The old oil itself looked pretty clean. Is this the infamous 'mayonaise' sign of a blowing head gasket? It looked like the putty you use to fill gaps in wood.

Advertisement
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Banned
    It may well be. Could also be just emulsion (oil water mix) that doesn't get "zapped" because the engine never gets really warm. Does the car go on long trips to get everything up to temp? Is there "mayonaise under the oil filler cap?

Could be head gasket or cylinder liner gasket. Whats the water in the radiator like creamy throthy not good! spanner

Al

<small>[ 02 July 2003, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: AlsPug504 ]</small>

Nick,

I wouldn't lose a real lot of sleep over it at this stage as it sounds like mayonnaise something commonly found in Cits & Pugs overseas.
    In the 405/BX series over there it was so common that Pug repairers used to allow for a new dip stick & tube every so many ks as it had the tendency to blow the dipstick clean out of the block.
    Apart from cleaning out the breather system & doing regular filter & oil changes in the colder weather, it was also found that often this was also a sign of a faulty thermostat.
    I know yours has a much different system to the 405 but the same principles apply, so clearing it all out of the breathing system and a new thermostat, not an expensive item, could help reduce the problem. If allowed to get really bad, it can create problems, after all, mayonnaise is water mixed with the oil so not the best mix of lubricants known to man.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I tend to agree with Peabody. The old 404 was fine in the summer, but in the cold weather with a little more moisture in the air the mayonaise would appear due to condensation, especially with short tripping. I would not do anything drastic at this stage, but keep an eye on it shy . Other good head gasket tests include running the engine with the radiator cap off (from cold of course) to see if there are lots of bubbles being blown in the coolant.

Leave the oil cap off for a hot run... let the moisture that evaporates expel itself from the engine...

Banned
    Should be no need to leave the cap off if the PCV is working.

Should stop everything rusting under the bonnet if she's got a bit of blow by though.

The thermostat trick we worked out on the overseas boards. They give a thermostat about a 3 year life expectancy over there. I was starting to get it in my 16V & it (new thermostat) cured it. Instead of taking about 20 miles to get near operating temperature, it's closer to 2, hence you don't get the condensation that is there with a half stuffed thermostat.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

nJm
    The car has been doing heaps of short trips, and I've also discovered a large crack in a pipe in the PCV system - the rubber hose that runs from around the manifold (?)/left side of carby to the oil filler.

I took the pug on a 3.5 hour drive up to Chilton and after checking the oil the 'mayo' seems to have disappered.

Also, for as long as I can remember the dip stick seems to have popped a few cm out of the tube everytime I drive the car. Why does it do this?

<small>[ 04 July 2003, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: nJm ]</small>
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Blocked PCV valve or excessive blow-by... maybe that's why the hose is split too?

Banned
    You've got it.

Thread Information