Gearbox woes
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Gearbox woes

  1. #1
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Linton.Victoria.
    Posts
    1,235

    Default Gearbox woes

    Hi-Seems most of 'us' know of some Auto woes with some french cars.
    Well just to keep things in the true light of the motoring world where owners of Holden 'Ashtrays'[ can't say it any other way 'cause that is the way it comes out.] Well just when they run out of warranty the gearboxes fail-the bill a miniscule $14,000.00-YES $14,000,00-Someone may like to do the maths on cost comparison % wise to the cost of the froggy cars to the "aussie cars'
    I am sure there are plenty of horror stories around.
    That is my for the day.
    Pekay.

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    Hi-Seems most of 'us' know of some Auto woes with some french cars.
    Well just to keep things in the true light of the motoring world where owners of Holden 'Ashtrays'[ can't say it any other way 'cause that is the way it comes out.] Well just when they run out of warranty the gearboxes fail-the bill a miniscule $14,000.00-YES $14,000,00-Someone may like to do the maths on cost comparison % wise to the cost of the froggy cars to the "aussie cars'
    I am sure there are plenty of horror stories around.
    That is my for the day.
    Pekay.
    I wouldn't call an "ashtray" an aussie car.

    Are you related to Liz Smiley by chance??

    Jo

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts Beano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,149

    Default

    Holy guacamole !

    I've heard of $7,000 for a 406 gearbox, but $14,000 ???

    Please accept our sympathies....
    Last edited by Beano; 19th February 2012 at 04:40 PM.

  4. #4
    Veni Vidi Posti 68 404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rome
    Posts
    2,660

    Default

    Euro autos.

    Bad words to use in one sentence.

    Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

    IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."


  5. #5
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    Hi-Seems most of 'us' know of some Auto woes with some french cars.
    Well just to keep things in the true light of the motoring world where owners of Holden 'Ashtrays'[ can't say it any other way 'cause that is the way it comes out.] Well just when they run out of warranty the gearboxes fail-the bill a miniscule $14,000.00-YES $14,000,00-Someone may like to do the maths on cost comparison % wise to the cost of the froggy cars to the "aussie cars'
    I am sure there are plenty of horror stories around.
    That is my for the day.
    Pekay.
    My wifes Astra has been superb, apart from normal consumables the only things that have gone wrong are a couple of ignition switches, the A/C and a coil pack.
    Only 1 battery and has still plenty left on the second set of tyres. Done about 120k in 12 years. Great to have a car with its original exhaust, she used to go through a rear section every year on the 505.
    All this and the people who service it say "shoulda got a Corolla"!
    We hired a near new Corolla in NZ recently and it was inferior to the Astra, particulary lack of torque, worse than an early MI16, and horrific road noise, you had to turn the radio right up on course surfaced roads. Got to say though that economy was great, as low as 5.8 litres per hundred and better than the early 307 HDi ad 407 HDi. I drove a few years back.
    Don't think she will buy the next model when it is released, a dreary looking car if I ever saw one.
    The TS Astra was a real standout amongst what was available at the time the Mitsubishi salesman knew he had lost the sale when we mentioned we'd looked at the Astra.
    Having said all this if the auto does pack it in the car will go to the recyclers, still not bad value over the time.
    Graham

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    168

    Default

    VW Toureg transmission, an eye watering $32000, my source is somebody in the upmarket extended warranty game.

    Cheers
    GL

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    CANBERRA
    Posts
    400

    Default

    Auto woes are not restricted to French cars of course but it seems the repair cost of european stuff is eye watering. (and with an AL4 this could be as regular as servicing!?).

    So can someone remind me again why it is said we all want autos and as such the manufacturers are only supplying autos to Australia for many model (eg 508)??

    Cheers

    Jim

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    168

    Default

    It's out of control, read about a high end Audi with push button hand brake, the calipers have motors in them to operate the pads , went on to describe how to change the pads but to do that you have to be hooked up to the Audi diagnostic centre at you friendly Audi dealer, and I understand this is becoming common for other small maintenance jobs on a variety of cars , those guys that rounded up the 504's knew what they were doing.

    Graham Lewis

  9. #9
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Lewis View Post
    It's out of control, read about a high end Audi with push button hand brake, the calipers have motors in them to operate the pads , went on to describe how to change the pads but to do that you have to be hooked up to the Audi diagnostic centre at you friendly Audi dealer, and I understand this is becoming common for other small maintenance jobs on a variety of cars , those guys that rounded up the 504's knew what they were doing.

    Graham Lewis
    That's crazy, if you want a push button handbrake you come up with an elegant solution, not electric motor crap!
    Graham

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    168

    Default

    One of the instructions sent a cold shiver down my spine, it went something like this, Follow the procedure EXACTLY if you skip any steps you are likely to experience "ISSUES" for which no documented resolutions exist. I could allmost hear heels clicking.

    Cheers
    Graham Lewis

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    650

    Default Peoples' car... really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Lewis View Post
    VW Toureg transmission, an eye watering $32000, my source is somebody in the upmarket extended warranty game.

    Cheers
    GL
    The VW transmission doesn't like water, the adhesive for the friction materials (clutches etc) is water soluable...

    Last quote I got for a 504 Borg Warner was $800 to fully recondition... So it looks like I really should do up the LTi I have languishing in the yard and pass it on to someone who can use it!

    Bruce.

  12. #12
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Burswood Western Australia
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Was talking to the warranty clerk of a dealership recently and he told me their COST to replace tranny on a Mitsubishi Outlander, was $22750, at warranty cost for part alone!... So the French cars come in at the lower end of the scale, when it comes to Auto trans problems.

    Another told me that VW are having tranny problems in 'plague proportions' with their new DSG box?

  13. #13
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Slater View Post
    Was talking to the warranty clerk of a dealership recently and he told me their COST to replace tranny on a Mitsubishi Outlander, was $22750, at warranty cost for part alone!... So the French cars come in at the lower end of the scale, when it comes to Auto trans problems.

    Another told me that VW are having tranny problems in 'plague proportions' with their new DSG box?
    Surely manufacturers are selling new cars at a loss, making their money afterwards?
    Graham

  14. #14
    1000+ Posts FIVEDOOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brisbane Qld
    Posts
    20,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Lewis View Post
    VW Toureg transmission, an eye watering $32000, my source is somebody in the upmarket extended warranty game.

    Cheers
    GL
    on a car with a new car price of around $80K

  15. #15
    VIP Sponsor David Cavanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Romsey, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    on a car with a new car price of around $80K
    And yet people still line up to buy them, might as well flush hundred dollar notes down the toilet.

    I've heard you can't even change the oil on new Volvos without putting the computer in sleep mode.
    An aftermarket Volvo specialist in ACT apparently serviced a new car and it wouldn't start and had to be towed to the dealer to be reset.

    I keep saying that it should be illegal to sell these things here but it seems legal rip offs are the only thing keeping our country alive these days.
    David Cavanagh

    FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

    03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

    34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042


    [email protected]

    https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

  16. #16
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    168

    Default

    A mate who runs his own workshop had a Nissan diesel ute in which was trucked home from Alice Springs because no one wanted to work on it, what appeared to be a blown head gasket turned out to be a cracked head, 3 second hand heads were inspected before he found a sound head, they also break timing chains, thats an $11000 fix, a neighbour who owns one tells me his next service (40000ks I think) includes valve adjustment and they are shim under bucket, which means cam shafts out to get at the shims , Salmsons had shims on top of the buckets where they could be got at in the 20's.
    Cheers
    Graham Lewis oh and the Nissan utes catch fire, the thing that catches the carbon particles in the exhaust and is heated now and again to burn the carbon out is close to the underside of the carpeted floor so if your working them a bit in hot weather the carpet can catch fire, happened to a local towing a van down the west coast of WA.

  17. #17
    VIP Sponsor David Cavanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Romsey, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Lewis View Post
    A mate who runs his own workshop had a Nissan diesel ute in which was trucked home from Alice Springs because no one wanted to work on it, what appeared to be a blown head gasket turned out to be a cracked head, 3 second hand heads were inspected before he found a sound head, they also break timing chains, thats an $11000 fix, a neighbour who owns one tells me his next service (40000ks I think) includes valve adjustment and they are shim under bucket, which means cam shafts out to get at the shims , Salmsons had shims on top of the buckets where they could be got at in the 20's.
    Cheers
    Graham Lewis oh and the Nissan utes catch fire, the thing that catches the carbon particles in the exhaust and is heated now and again to burn the carbon out is close to the underside of the carpeted floor so if your working them a bit in hot weather the carpet can catch fire, happened to a local towing a van down the west coast of WA.
    See thats one of those legal rip offs that shouldn't be allowed. A diesel Navara is the very thing they tell you to use if your going to Alice and yet no one there can fix it.
    I heard the same story about a Pajero gearbox failure with caravan on tow and the whole lot had to sent to Adelaide for repairs.
    David Cavanagh

    FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

    03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

    34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042


    [email protected]

    https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

  18. #18
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Search the net for a source of parts overseas. I would suggest Europe. I get parts for my Peugeot from a dealer in Britain, which at full retail with a 20% VAT, air freight and insurance cost only 20% to 25% of what Peugeot Australia demands for the same part.
    A friend of mine does the same thing for his BMW and another friend buys overseas for her Range Rover.
    Given that the Holden to which you referred is made elsewhere, the transmission should be available for pennies on the dollar, compared with the Australian price.
    For example, a new AL4 transmission for my 406 diesel costs 1,200 pounds, plus 400 pounds freight and insurance. I hate to think what Peugeot Australian demands for a new AL4 transmission. All up about $2,400 delivered to my door. I cannot have one rebuilt here for anything like that figure.

  19. #19
    1000+ Posts Beano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,149

    Default

    It seems that it all comes down to paying for performance.
    In the old days I always had a car which was low performance and was amazed at how much high performance cars cost to repair.
    The cars mentioned on this thread as having expensive gearboxes to repair might not currently be thought of as high performance but in reality they are. And they are indeed beautiful cars to drive.....but a nightmare to the wallet at repair time.
    Borg Warner gearboxes (as mentioned by Bruce) may be simple and parts plentiful, but a Peugeot parts supplier in Brisbane once described them as follows: "When they change gear, it feels like you're getting hit in the back of the head by a brick"
    I wouldn't quite agree, but they are a bit rough.
    Give me a good ZF gearbox in a 505 any day. With the right oil and an external cooler, they last the life of the car. I wouldn't mind having ABS braking on my 505, but a complex gearbox and alloy engine block with belts and pulleys hanging off it everywhere is superfluous to my needs !

  20. #20
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    It seems that it all comes down to paying for performance.
    In the old days I always had a car which was low performance and was amazed at how much high performance cars cost to repair.
    The cars mentioned on this thread as having expensive gearboxes to repair might not currently be thought of as high performance but in reality they are. And they are indeed beautiful cars to drive.....but a nightmare to the wallet at repair time.
    Borg Warner gearboxes (as mentioned by Bruce) may be simple and parts plentiful, but a Peugeot parts supplier in Brisbane once described them as follows: "When they change gear, it feels like you're getting hit in the back of the head by a brick"
    I wouldn't quite agree, but they are a bit rough.
    Give me a good ZF gearbox in a 505 any day. With the right oil and an external cooler, they last the life of the car. I wouldn't mind having ABS braking on my 505, but a complex gearbox and alloy engine block with belts and pulleys hanging off it everywhere is superfluous to my needs !
    I can't imagine ABS improving 505 brakes, assuming the rear compensator is adjusted correctly, very few are. This usually means poor stopping and front wheel lock up, the rears are usually just about disabled. You can fix this in 5 minutes with a 19mm spanner and a screwdriver.
    Graham

  21. #21
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Geraldton
    Posts
    1,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Slater View Post
    Was talking to the warranty clerk of a dealership recently and he told me their COST to replace tranny on a Mitsubishi Outlander, was $22750, at warranty cost for part alone!... So the French cars come in at the lower end of the scale, when it comes to Auto trans problems.

    Another told me that VW are having tranny problems in 'plague proportions' with their new DSG box?
    That's interesting, Rod.

    I was searching the net for stuff about dsg problems and could find little. A theme was that there was a batch of dud temp sensors that caused the transmission to shift into neutral and stay there. In the US this has led to an investigation and, no doubt in time, a raft of law suits. But the consensus was that they were a reliable box.

    I smelled a rat.

    In general I hate autos (too many moving parts) and the dsg has more than most of their ilk. Did your contact say what part of the transmission was failing?

    I checked the website then called VW Australia and guess what? You can no longer get the manual trans in Australia. Another good car goes bad.

    P
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

    In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

    In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

  22. #22
    1000+ Posts Beano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    I can't imagine ABS improving 505 brakes, assuming the rear compensator is adjusted correctly, very few are. This usually means poor stopping and front wheel lock up, the rears are usually just about disabled. You can fix this in 5 minutes with a 19mm spanner and a screwdriver.
    Graham
    Really ? I thought ABS was fitted to some 505s overseas ?
    I remember someone here once describing how to adjust the rear compensation valve, and I vaguely recall that the way they described was a bit different from in the manual.
    Er....Graham....do you happen to know how to adjust the valve ? I've never done it, and my workshop manual is packed away in storage right now. I do however know I'll have to get a new valve soon. It's been weeping brake fluid for a while now.

  23. #23
    Fellow Frogger! cme2c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Lest you think this stuff only happens to Euros. Hyundai have recently released a twin clutch automated manual transmission (like the VW DSG). There is a special tool to remove the clutch. Hyundai haven't provided the DEALERS with them because nothing is expected to go wrong. My wife's Golf with the dry clutch DSG had a clutch replaced under warranty. It was juddering like it was worn down to the rivets (it's a shimming problem, apparently). $2000 part price (if we were paying for it). Meanwhile, anyone got a new idle stepper motor for a 206 GTi?
    206 GTi 2003
    VW Golf 118TSI 2009 ( the wife's)
    Bedford CF 1980
    Valiant VJ Ranger 1974
    "Driving a 206GTi makes you feel like you're 18" Jeremy Clarkson

  24. #24
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    HOBART
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    Really ? I thought ABS was fitted to some 505s overseas ?
    I remember someone here once describing how to adjust the rear compensation valve, and I vaguely recall that the way they described was a bit different from in the manual.
    Er....Graham....do you happen to know how to adjust the valve ? I've never done it, and my workshop manual is packed away in storage right now. I do however know I'll have to get a new valve soon. It's been weeping brake fluid for a while now.
    The 505 V6 and petrol turbo (LHD only ) cars had an early form of ABS. They work well, but are a nightmare if they go wrong.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

    Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

  25. #25
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pugnut1 View Post
    The 505 V6 and petrol turbo (LHD only ) cars had an early form of ABS. They work well, but are a nightmare if they go wrong.
    Undo the lock nut then turn the screw in until the rears just begin to lock, tighten up the lock nut or if you wish back off a tad first.
    Graham

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •