Peugeot LCD Display Reconditioning
  • Register
  • Help

Default Peugeot LCD Display Reconditioning

Gidday folks

My son has just got a 2003 307 and the multifunction display is "cactus" I contacte European Auto Recyclers in Brisbane ( Northgate) who have reconditioned items available... it appears they send these away to get the display replaced.

Does any one know who does it or if the display bought off http://sacer-ltd.en.made-in-china.co...7-SA1206-.html or http://www.easybizchina.com/product/...n_display.html need any additional connectors fitted to enable replacement.

Advertisement

This crowd want a minimum order of 5 http://www.gasgoo.com/auto-products/...9/1205789.html - I have sent a request for more info - I shall keep you posted

Has any one tried this fix or know anyone who has. It appears they also have the displays for 206's 405, 407's and so on.

Comments please
    Thanks Ian
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Icon6

G'day,
    have you checked ebay UK? There are usually a few Pug parts about.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Hi

Thanks but there is no gurantee that it works and return postage is expensive hence my decision to look at other avenues - the replacement would be good
    Ian
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800

The same has happened to my Dad's 407. If this is a design flaw as it most certainly appears to be, what's to stop a replacement part exhibiting the exact same behaviour within a couple of years?

I'm much more tempted (not that tempted) to take the existing one apart and re-solder with lead full solder as my theory is the lead free solder isn't ductile enough.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

It appears that the LCD display degenerates with the heat it is not a soldering problem I had the same issue back in my 405 ( temp display). For some reason the colour displays arte more resilient that the orange ones.

On the subject of resoldering - lead free solder and lead solder are incompatible and are likely to be a source of dry joints, having said that there are some products that are backward compatible that is can use lead free in a lead joint but not lead in a leadfree joint -- or so the gurus tell me.

If the displays are cheap enough then its not an issue to dismantle and replace, will keep you posted

Ian
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    And an Austin 1800

It's particularly a problem on the 307 as the display was very close to the screen - the 206 model was usually just blown globes in the back of the display unit.

Not heard too many issues with 407 displays, but they are not as numerous as 206s and 307s.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by Meggsy View Post
    It appears that the LCD display degenerates with the heat it is not a soldering problem
    It's not a clear winner but the soldering one is still the best theory for me. When it's cold in winter, the display lights up like a Christmas tree first thing in the morning when it's cold.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

I'd be keen on one for 407 if they're getting ordered....
    NOW
    2005 Peugeot 407ST Executive

THEN
    1996 Peugeot 306XT Hatch
    1968 Peugeot 404
    1993 Peugeot 205Si
    1976 Renault 16TL
    1982 Renault Fuego
    1980 Renault 20
    1975 Renault 16TL

GREW UP WITH
    1976 Peugeot 504
    1972 Renault 12
    1968 Renault 10

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Old unit has two processors in it and the heat affects data transmission between the two chips. New style (late 407/308) has one chip. I believe a 308 display may fit a 307 T6/407 with some re routing of the wiring harness.
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Just bought a replacement display off Ebay for $266 rather than the $678 quoted by Mildrens. Fingers crossed for a good result!
    NOW

THEN
    1996 Peugeot 306XT Hatch
    1968 Peugeot 404
    1993 Peugeot 205Si
    1976 Renault 16TL
    1982 Renault Fuego
    1980 Renault 20
    1975 Renault 16TL

GREW UP WITH
    1976 Peugeot 504
    1972 Renault 12
    1968 Renault 10

On the subject of resoldering - lead free solder and lead solder are incompatible and are likely to be a source of dry joints, having said that there are some products that are backward compatible that is can use lead free in a lead joint but not lead in a leadfree joint -- or so the gurus tell me.

Ian
    Not sure about the incompatibility bit.
    Lead free solder is a bit of a pain to work with. You need a hotter iron, and it doesnt have the flexibility that lead solder has. It is more rigid, and I'd suspect that it would give troubles if circuit board was subject to flexing.
    I would check circuit board out with a bright light and magnifying specs and touch up joints that look sus. I'd apply solder very sparingly, just use enough to get good heat transfer from iron tip to joint

Quote Originally Posted by young 4 old pug View Post
    Old unit has two processors in it and the heat affects data transmission between the two chips. New style (late 407/308) has one chip. I believe a 308 display may fit a 307 T6/407 with some re routing of the wiring harness.
    With Multiplex wiring and its software I'd be cautious about swapping a unit from a similar model. It may plug in, but there only has to be a slight change (even 1 byte) in the program and it may not run.
    It may also need a dealer to enable it. Some cars have the optional sat nav unit. When these are installed .. the dealer has to tell the management system that it's there and let it in.
    Even if the same identical unit was being put back in ..there is a fair chance the dealer would still have to update the system. All 'remote' units in a car have to be identifiable as they are all across a common bus.
    Also.. if the original unit is cactus... then a reset is possibly needed (maybe achieved by disconnecting power) What can happen in these systems is that when a remote doesnt respond, it will get polled less and less by the central unit as it wont waste time asking a non responsive remote to respond. Eventually it may not get polled at all.
    May be wrong in this re compatibility but I'd be certain before spending big dollars on a part from an overseas supplier.

Decca
    Present --2016 2008Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast, now with A/T tyres...)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

I think they are just a "dumb" display. We had one replaced in our 307 under warranty when the display developed multiple fine stripes. The replacement one gave no trouble ( at least before we traded the car in ) The broader, dim area problem that my 206 has had is fixed with new bulbs. Easy fix, but fiddly.
    206 GTi 2003
    VW Golf 118TSI 2009 ( the wife's)
    Bedford CF 1980
    Valiant VJ Ranger 1974
    "Driving a 206GTi makes you feel like you're 18" Jeremy Clarkson

They are not "dumb" units. They take info from BSI, radio, eng ecu, air bag ecu (via BSI), and also store date, time, vehicle parameter information.
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Quote Originally Posted by Decca View Post
    Not sure about the incompatibility bit.
    Lead free solder is a bit of a pain to work with. You need a hotter iron, and it doesnt have the flexibility that lead solder has. It is more rigid, and I'd suspect that it would give troubles if circuit board was subject to flexing.
    I would check circuit board out with a bright light and magnifying specs and touch up joints that look sus. I'd apply solder very sparingly, just use enough to get good heat transfer from iron tip to joint

With Multiplex wiring and its software I'd be cautious about swapping a unit from a similar model. It may plug in, but there only has to be a slight change (even 1 byte) in the program and it may not run.
    It may also need a dealer to enable it. Some cars have the optional sat nav unit. When these are installed .. the dealer has to tell the management system that it's there and let it in.
    Even if the same identical unit was being put back in ..there is a fair chance the dealer would still have to update the system. All 'remote' units in a car have to be identifiable as they are all across a common bus.
    Also.. if the original unit is cactus... then a reset is possibly needed (maybe achieved by disconnecting power) What can happen in these systems is that when a remote doesnt respond, it will get polled less and less by the central unit as it wont waste time asking a non responsive remote to respond. Eventually it may not get polled at all.
    May be wrong in this re compatibility but I'd be certain before spending big dollars on a part from an overseas supplier.

Decca
    A late 307/308 has pretty much IDENTICAL multiplexing layout, structure and coding. There are differences in engine management systems but low speed body systems are pretty much the same.
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

However, in regards to this being an EARLY 307, with the simplified CANBUS network, the late 307/308 MFD units will not work.
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Finally got the display installed by Mildrens and it works wonderfully. The dark bits are dark and the orange bits are orange and I can now configure my car after it gets past 7 degrees celsius!

The Ebay seller was appleaccessories (http://myworld.ebay.com.au/appleaccessories)
    NOW

THEN
    1996 Peugeot 306XT Hatch
    1968 Peugeot 404
    1993 Peugeot 205Si
    1976 Renault 16TL
    1982 Renault Fuego
    1980 Renault 20
    1975 Renault 16TL

GREW UP WITH
    1976 Peugeot 504
    1972 Renault 12
    1968 Renault 10

Tadpole

Gidday folks

My son has just got a 2003 307 and the multifunction display is "cactus" I contacte European Auto Recyclers in Brisbane ( Northgate) who have reconditioned items available... it appears they send these away to get the display replaced.

Does any one know who does it or if the display bought off http://sacer-ltd.en.made-in-china.co...7-SA1206-.html or http://www.easybizchina.com/product/...n_display.html need any additional connectors fitted to enable replacement.

This crowd want a minimum order of 5 http://www.gasgoo.com/auto-products/...9/1205789.html - I have sent a request for more info - I shall keep you posted

Has any one tried this fix or know anyone who has. It appears they also have the displays for 206's 405, 407's and so on.

Comments please
    Thanks Ian

Hello!
    Sorry for my English.
    Could repair the computer replacing the screen that sells Sacer?
    http://www.sacer.com.cn/doce/product-detail-197.html

Thx

Itried o source from scaser and got no replies to my email on that but about 40 repies trying to sell a rearvision mirror with an LCD display in it
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    And an Austin 1800

Tadpole

I had answer but you have to buy U$S 200 minimum

Tadpole

Looking for some advice please.
    I recently purchased a used Peugeot 407 SV Sport and the LCD display works however does not display any Air Con information. When I asked the previous owner they mentioned it had been replaced in the past. So I am thinking is this display the incorrect one for my vehicle OR does it require re programming on the screen itself or the ECU computer? Thanks

Fellow Frogger!

I replaced my LCD with a new one. My AC details come up.

I replaced mine with one from this seller on ebay in Melbourne, was several years ago and have had no issues since.

Peugeot 407 Display Screen Type C Display Yellow Color Replace Fading Display | eBay

replacement is simple DIY job.

Thread Information