• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGRR
  • 1 Post By addo

Thread: AL4 transmission pressure drop

Tadpole

Default AL4 transmission pressure drop

Just putting this out there, in case someone else has had the same problem and can suggest where I should be looking for the problem.
    The AL4 automatic transmission on my 2.0 litre 406 HDi is experiencing a pressure drop, or least that is what the error code says.
    This is causing the transmission to show the dreaded 'AUTO TRANS FAULT' message on the screen and slam back into limp-home mode.
    Restarting the car clears the error and get the transmission working again, but the problem happens again and again.
    I have replaced the valve control body (the usual source of AL4 grief) and the fluid is of the correct specification, although it is not the genuine Peugeot fluid that is made by Esso and used by several other car makers, such as Astin Martin.
    My mechanic is at somewhat of a loss, although he believes the most likely suspect is the pump in the transmission.
    Has anyone been through this problem and found the cause and a solution?

Advertisement

My AL4 has been apart yet again chasing a random but persistent torque converter lockup failure, that is likely to be from pressure leaks internally.

Lazy seals on the pistons are the likely culprit. I'll let you know in a week if its finally been nailed!

In short, relatively minor internal pressure leaks can do annoying and odd things to these things!

Quote Originally Posted by CarlT View Post
    Just putting this out there, in case someone else has had the same problem and can suggest where I should be looking for the problem.
    The AL4 automatic transmission on my 2.0 litre 406 HDi is experiencing a pressure drop, or least that is what the error code says.
    This is causing the transmission to show the dreaded 'AUTO TRANS FAULT' message on the screen and slam back into limp-home mode.
    Restarting the car clears the error and get the transmission working again, but the problem happens again and again.
    I have replaced the valve control body (the usual source of AL4 grief) and the fluid is of the correct specification, although it is not the genuine Peugeot fluid that is made by Esso and used by several other car makers, such as Aston Martin.
    My mechanic is at somewhat of a loss, although he believes the most likely suspect is the pump in the transmission.
    Has anyone been through this problem and found the cause and a solution?

I went through all this crap with my daughter's 2L 306 auto.

As far as I am concerned the AL4 gearbox is a crapper.

Did you fit new solenoid valves? Apparently you have to reprogram the gearbox computer after fitting them.

I had the work done by a Peugeot dealer & the box now performs odd, it holds gears for too long after lifting your foot. Peugeot Australia says this is because the box thinks you are about to brake and leaves it in the lower gear.
    After 4 or 5 trips back to the dealer I gave up!

try Google "AL4 gearbox problems" you will not be going to sleep after.

Sorry I probably have not helped much BUT I feel a bit better.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

AL4's have been real crap, until you strip them and set the clearances to the minimum specification. They bang from new and wear quickly because of high pressure needed to take up clearance and then that creates heat, which the system can not cope with.
    BUT! Some times you can get the auto to work well if it isn't destroyed by resetting the electric throttle after removing it and cleaning the carbon out.
    Another epic fail is the pump bush which absolutely f#### the thing. Do not persevere with it if cleaning and resetting the throttle does not change it. Get to an auto man with knowledge in these black things. If the oil is black it is finished. Maybe not today but very soon, I'm afraid.
    I hope you get it sorted.

I am looking at buying another 306 to replace my long-serving 306 ST whose paintwork is now so completely trashed so as to not make it worth repairing the usual 250k+ mechanical issues.

Ideally, I'll get another manual, but I note that there are quite a few relatively low mileage automatics for sale.

In light of this thread and the many other sources that seem to tell a tragic story of the AL4 auto gearboxes - do these problems seem to occur will nearly all of them, or is it worth a punt that you'll get a non-fault model if you're half lucky?

Thanks in advance

Bren

Set a tolerance threshold and subsequent action plan.

You have three possible responses to a tranny that misbehaves: Replace/repair, go manual or cut it loose. I'd think the bits to make a 306 into manual, would be dirt cheap by now.

Fellow Frogger!

If you can find a 306 with the ZF 4HP14 auto box in it you might be ok. I've got one in my 2L N5 XSi and it is great at 190k.

I think previous owners didn't drive as "enthusiastically" as I do, but believe in preventative maintenance and have changed the fluid a couple of times while I have had it.

Thanks Addo - Wise advice.

Bernie - By way of benchmark, what year is your XSi with the later box?

Fellow Frogger!

Hey Bren its a 1998 N5. Not sure if later XSi's (or 2L models in general) switched to the AL4.

Easy way to tell (so I have heard) is the 4HP14 stick shifts in a straight line while the AL4 has a dog leg.

That's great diagnosis from poeple,
    fit a manual gearbox really?

i just think that if you cannot contribute constructively then don't bother posting.

the problems are variable solenoids, dirty cooler and leaking damper piston behind the end cover,full stop nothing else.
    fitting a manual is NOT the answer to fixing an automatic obviously.

gow up poeple read your post before posting

Nice smack on the wrist for everyone but learn how to spell people next time : )

Icon7

I don't consider it a "smack on the wrist". Hey French Trans Tech, how about contributing to the forum as a paying advertiser?

The 306 - well, price for a parts-grade one start at free and go upwards from there. What's wrong with somebody choosing a route that is most economical to their circumstances, if it involves exchanging a manual transmission for an auto? How the hell can that be construed as "immaturity"? It's economic pragmatism.

For the record, I really like my AL4 even though A&B must've fitted a mismatched final drive because it whines like a half-million mile Falcon cab since I bought it 7000km post-fitment, dislike the 4HP20 based on the relatively few examples I've driven and remain underwhelmed by the 4HP14. The "18" I like - especially for it's smoooooth changes and lift-off upshifts - but can feel its old-school inefficiencies (and see them at the bowser in urban usage). I feel no urge to prove masculinity by changing gears, and don't feel insecure if I'm not hanging on to a knob.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchtranstech View Post

That's great diagnosis from poeple, fit a manual gearbox really?

the problems are variable solenoids, dirty cooler and leaking damper piston behind the end cover,full stop nothing else.

So you are saying that it's a guaranteed and warranted fix for very little money?

I doubt it. Then why are so many AL4 equipped vehicles scrapped because of the transmission?

Just remember many of these cars are low cost transport for students et al . They are worth most in dollar value when the fuel tank is full. But they are worth more to their owners as transport.

If cheap donor parts and free labor are readily available, cheaply then I would suggest a manual conversion is practical.

And yes it is a guaranteed fix for the AL4 auto which can then become a boat anchor.

A less confrontational posting style (and a spell checker) will make you more friends.

I will next time thanks for that

Ok everybody I'm sorry for my abrupt posting,

Please forgive me .

Growing up rebuilding French automatics has given me a lot of passion towards there engineering-thinking.
    I guess it's the same feeling owners get from owning this marque.

E.g the AL4 will hardly ever burn out the clutches and bands because of the fluid path design of this Auto,it's just unfortunate
    that the quality control do the Chinese factory could not be up to scratch wear the solenoid is produced.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchtranstech View Post
    Ok everybody I'm sorry for my abrupt posting,

Please forgive me .

Fellow Frogger!

"gow up people read your post before posting". As the good book states, "let he who is without spot cast the first stone." Like many posts on this, and other forums, proof reading to correct spelling, grammar and punctuation beforehand is almost unheard of. Rather, it appears that the important thing is to "stick one's oar in" before someone else steals one's own thunder. And even relying on 'spell checker' permits lazy people to allow 'wear' in place of the correct 'where'.
    An unnecessary grizzle? I think not -- if the important thing is to pass accurate information instead of, sometimes, gibberish which requires reading a number of times to make any sense of it.

Pavel.

I propose that any person who posts on aussiefrogs is banned for life if they leave out a letter or two!

Even though, through training and experience, they appear to know more about that mongrel AL4 gearbox than anyone else here!
    frenchtranstech likes this.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Moore
    ...if the important thing is to pass accurate information instead of, sometimes, gibberish which requires reading a number of times to make any sense of it.
    I feel empathy with both sides of this argument. One risk is that the post with most apparent gravitas, may be accepted as the most factual or accurate - when this could possibly be untrue. Having experienced some years ago the harvesting for commercial gain, of original material I sought to share publicly, has made me more inclined to "bury" the facts and details slightly. If it means someone has to read twice, then so be it!

Moreover, I'm a believer that a forum depends on participation and for this reason I vest information within areas not accessible to unregistered members or those with a low level of interaction. To some people, this probably makes me an aerosol.
    frenchtranstech likes this.

Thread Information