It's here
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: It's here

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Default It's here

the back to front 604 wagon turned up last night (406stdt)

Advertisement

big thanks to dave at french connection

now the fun begins

now i don't know if this has anything to do with the alternator not working at the moment but when you go to turn the headlights on nothing happens but if you pull the stalk back they flash

will be checking fuses and the like this afternoon but i thought that was a little strange

engine check light is on but that may also be something to do with the non charging situation so will see what happens when i get to that

will be doing a timing belt, water pump, idler, tensioner and accessory belt job on it very shortly so that will be piece of mind in that department but while the front end is apart the alternator will be coming out and getting rectified

now i have tried to no avail to download or find to download a user manual for the car (i just like to have one with each car) but none can be had unless you speak russian or spanish

if someone has one and doesn't want it anymore talk to me, thank you

i asked the truck driver if he wanted to also drop the car off that was in front of the wagon to save him stopping again but he said he better not

it was a red mid 70's 911, would have looked nice IF i could have found somewhere to park the car in the yard

i don't know what the neighbours thought last night seeing yet another car arrive this time on the back of a semi

pics will be up soon and other pics of work as i get to it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

A 406 is just a spec'd down Xantia isn't it Given this the first port of call is probably the ignition switch itself. The contacts in it burn as they didn't relay the interior fans. Check the big fuses under the bonnet.

You could also whip the battery out and check under that. What poogoe did was put all of the earth points in a common position.... They picked the "best" spot they could think of. That being underneath the battery where battery acid could get to them

Surely we could have found you something decent like a nice CX wagon :poke:

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Such rude words from someone who drives a pump-up Peugeot

Fellow Frogger!

Default 406

I have a new D8 ignition switch for sale Shane if you need it

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Car 76 View Post
    Such rude words from someone who drives a pump-up Peugeot
    You gotta stir up 'Rambo, he'd think something was wrong if we didn't

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    I have a new D8 ignition switch for sale Shane if you need it
    It maybe 'Rambo that needs one ... we'll see

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

[QUOTE] now i don't know if this has anything to do with the alternator not working at the moment but when you go to turn the headlights on nothing happens but if you pull the stalk back they flash [QUOTE]

Maybe it's crafty Peugeot engineering design for saving the battery when driving at night in stop / start traffic : )

Fellow Frogger!

Peugeot 406 Petrol and Diesel (96 - Mar 99) N to T
    Saloon and Estate, including special/limited editions, 96 - Mar 99, N to T
    Petrol: 1.6 litre (1580cc), 1.8 litre (1761cc) and 2.0 litre (1998cc) 4-cylinder normally-aspirated
    Turbo-Diesel: 1.9 litre (1905cc) and 2.1 litre (2088cc)
    Does NOT cover Coupe
    Does NOT cover 2.0 litre Turbo or 3.0 litre V6 engines
    Does NOT cover 2.0 litre HDi Turbo-Diesel engine

I have one of these brand new that I don't want/need:-

Peugeot 406 Petrol and Diesel (Mar 99 - 02) T-52 reg.
    Saloon and Estate, including special/limited editions
    Petrol: 1.8 litre (1749 and 1761cc) and 2.0 litre (1997cc) 4-cyl
    Turbo-Diesel: 2.0 litre (1997cc) and 2.2 litre (2179cc)
    Does NOT cover Coupe
    Does NOT cover 2.0 litre Turbo, 2.0 litre direct injection (HPi), 2.2 litre (4-cyl) or 3.0 litre (V6) engines

[QUOTE=Andrew Ch;1035773][QUOTE] now i don't know if this has anything to do with the alternator not working at the moment but when you go to turn the headlights on nothing happens but if you pull the stalk back they flash [QUOTE]

I must admit we never tried the lights, never used it at night and tried to preserve as much battery as possible.

Sounds to me like the switch has failed. If they work on flash sounds like the car is fine but just not switching on.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default Fusibles a la mort...

[QUOTE=Andrew Ch;1035773][QUOTE] now i don't know if this has anything to do with the alternator not working at the moment but when you go to turn the headlights on nothing happens but if you pull the stalk back they flash

Maybe it's crafty Peugeot engineering design for saving the battery when driving at night in stop / start traffic : )
    The original euro fuses in S2 405 have a tendency to get fatigue cracks at the ends of the fusable link. The fuses look OK, test OK when out of the fuse panel but go open circuit when pushed in. Worth replacing every fuse you can find with new ones (Try Ashdown or Radio spares)

Also there are various headlight relays tucked away in various places (above drivers' right knee in 405) as well as the realays in the box next to the battery. The flash circuit seems to have its' own relay while the dash mounted relays work in the poverty spec cars with 40/45W headlights and the halogen light cars have the extra relays added, but the originals remain. Some 504s (73, 74) have a high beam relay like a late 404 behind the instrument panel and the duplex relay on the inner mudgaurd.

I'm probably being mean, but try looking for a little flouro green or bright orange relay with "Gadgets Cartier" on it...

Bruce.

[QUOTE=David Cavanagh;1035996][QUOTE=Andrew Ch;1035773][QUOTE] now i don't know if this has anything to do with the alternator not working at the moment but when you go to turn the headlights on nothing happens but if you pull the stalk back they flash

I must admit we never tried the lights, never used it at night and tried to preserve as much battery as possible.

Sounds to me like the switch has failed. If they work on flash sounds like the car is fine but just not switching on.
    that's my thinking

got any there David ??

also note to myself, same switch as my 605
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

[QUOTE=Bruce Llewellyn;1036004][QUOTE=Andrew Ch;1035773]
    now i don't know if this has anything to do with the alternator not working at the moment but when you go to turn the headlights on nothing happens but if you pull the stalk back they flash

The original euro fuses in S2 405 have a tendency to get fatigue cracks at the ends of the fusable link. The fuses look OK, test OK when out of the fuse panel but go open circuit when pushed in. Worth replacing every fuse you can find with new ones (Try Ashdown or Radio spares)

Also there are various headlight relays tucked away in various places (above drivers' right knee in 405) as well as the realays in the box next to the battery. The flash circuit seems to have its' own relay while the dash mounted relays work in the poverty spec cars with 40/45W headlights and the halogen light cars have the extra relays added, but the originals remain. Some 504s (73, 74) have a high beam relay like a late 404 behind the instrument panel and the duplex relay on the inner mudgaurd.

I'm probably being mean, but try looking for a little flouro green or bright orange relay with "Gadgets Cartier" on it...

Bruce.
    tried looking, found some relays, still no luck

will try with a switch and if still no good off to a sparky it will go
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

here is the wiring for a UK spec 406 D9

there are no relays, it's just a power feed to the switch, through a couple of fuses and onto the headlight unit

If I had one I think I would add a couple of relays (one for dipped, one for main) and use the switch to trigger the relay instead of powering the bulbs directly

406d9 headlamp circuit by dieselnutjob, on Flickr

Thread Information