306 HTdt What are these things?
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306 XTdt What are these things?

There are two things on my 1996 306 HTdt that I would like to find out more about:

The gauge under the tacho. It has "mini" and "maxi" on it, as per the attached photo. It has never worked since I got the car. The 306 handbook says it is a oil level gauge. Can anyone tell me where the sender unit for it is? How much replacement sender units cost?

The other question is regarding the diesel fuel pump, as per attached photo. As I have indicated with the arrow, there is a contact switch there that doesn't seem to be working, and the rubber boot on it is completely perished. The car runs well, so it's probably just an academic question, but what does the switch do? The previous owner had the pump factory reconditioned about 50,000 k's ago.

The car surges when cold, and occasionally a little when warm. Would the above have anything to do with it? Would taking it to a non_Peugeot diesel tuner be likely to help? Best-ever fuel economy was 5.7 l/100km, usual around Cairns with a/c on all the time is 7l/100km.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 306 HTdt What are these things?-web_q2146810.jpg   306 HTdt What are these things?-web_q2146814.jpg  
    Last edited by JimP; 19th February 2012 at 09:46 PM.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

when you go to start the car turn the ign on and wait

watch the guage and see what it does

if it works it will read the oil level in the sump

once you start the car however it returns to it's stop position (min)

the guage only works when the key is in the on position before you start the car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Its been a while since I owned our 306 D Turbo [ Great Car ] but from memory the oil guage does both the oil temperature whilst the engine is running and when you swithch the ignition on, the upper level should illuminate and the guage should point to the approximate oil level. I can not remember where the sensor is but I am sure someone on this great site knows.

The switch in the picture is the cold idle switch. The lower idle cable is actuated by a vacuum.

The surging is caused by either the fuel pump or fuel filter. When was the fuel filter last changed ?

Our 306 D Turbo was such a grunt of a car. I use to drive it flat out through Europe and it took so much punishment but just kept going and never let us down...

I have to add that I have had a few glasses of red wine tonight which may help or hinder my memory

Thanks very much to both of you for your help.

pugrambo, that explains the strange behavior of the gauge. 908HDI, it doesn't seem to do anything while the car is running, so either it isn't supposed to show oil temp or is playing up. Looks like it's working well, and now I know how to read it!

908HDI, the fuel filter is only a few 1000 k's old, and it made no difference to the surging when I fitted it. The cold idle has never been a problem with this car. As this switch doesn't appear to be working, do you know whether this would mean that it's always on or always off? If always on, that may adversely affect fuel economy.

What are your thoughts about a non-Pug diesel tuner?

And yes, it's a great little old car to drive. I've got to replace the shockies and look into a newly-developed clunk in the front right suspension when turning left under load, but it's still the most fun car I've owned.

Hey JimP

re the gauge, I think you'll find that the gauges that read both oil level and temp had extra graduations so in your case it would be oil level only.

Cheers.

1000+ Posts

Default 306 struts

we baught some new struts from caravell for my sons 306 HDI 2000, as we were told it would need them for rego ,when it finaly arived from Townsvill Q.L.D WE FOUND WE DIDNT NEED THEM ,THERE SITTING IN THE garage ,pm me if your interested .PUGS

Default Interested in the struts

Thanks for the offer of the struts, pugwash. Please let me know how much you want for them.

Thread Information