306 shifter play
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 306 shifter play

Hi all

I'm having a lot of play in my gear lever in my 306. The gear lever only has play in the forward/backward directions (not left right). the amount of play is substancial, but the same amount in every gear.

There aren't any problems getting into any gears, no grinding or sticking. The shifter doesn't come out of gear once in.

I'm no mechanic but i'm wondering, but would it be shifter linkages or bushes?

I might try and upload a video to youtube to show you all.

Thanks.

Advertisement

I wouldn't bother with a video as you have already described problem. Something is broken, worn or missing and it can be bushes, pins etc.

Best place to start I believe is joining Peugeot Service Box and below is the link. This way you can work out what parts it may be and plan your next course of action.... good luck

http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com...in_hors_eu.jsp

Most likely it is one of the rods (I think there is three) with worn bushings. They have banjo shaped ends with a rubber insert. The insert goes hard and breaks down.

Eventually the linkage just falls off, possibly creating a thrilling feeling when driving.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Thanks for the link to the service box, that's helped a lot

ok so having a look under the car it looks like control return rubber ball (part 5) has come off as there's just a metal rod of the control return arm inside the cylinder of the selection bar.

Unfortunately I'm not a mechanic myself, but interested in learning. Does anyone know if it's easy to replace the control return?

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...6/ha24a05a.jpg

If it is the problem they're not hard at all. Just pull the cap off which will reveal about a 16 mm bolt. The hardest part is getting the other linkage off with out stuffing it!
    406 D8 V6 manual

Thread Information