205 GTI question
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 GTI question

Hi dear brains' trust.

I have a little problem in this heat.

Sometimes after shutting the engine off (engine at normal temperature) and leaving the car for a little while (not enough to cool the engine), when I try to start it needs a bit of cranking (when cold fires literally straight up). Same problem happens on hot days if I leave the car in the sun and then try to start it form cold (which is not cold though in this heat; I have had the temp gauge go up two lines on the dash with a "cold" engine).

Advertisement

What does the brains' trust think?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

I'm not part of the brains trust but I'd be having a look at the water temp sensor.

Chris

205GTI - 8 valve, single cam coolness.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Hi dear brains' trust.

I have a little problem in this heat.

Sometimes after shutting the engine off (engine at normal temperature) and leaving the car for a little while (not enough to cool the engine), when I try to start it needs a bit of cranking (when cold fires literally straight up). Same problem happens on hot days if I leave the car in the sun and then try to start it form cold (which is not cold though in this heat; I have had the temp gauge go up two lines on the dash with a "cold" engine).

What does the brains' trust think?
    The injectors might be bleeding off pressure and it needs a few cranks clear the fuel before firing.

Does it blow a touch of black smoke when it does fire or does it just start normally ocne it starts?

Is your fuel cap a venting type? If so, does it actually vent?

All good questions, mistareno. I guess this is what I was interested in hearing, the symptoms I should be looking for.

I think the possibilities in general speaking are two

1. Leaking injectors as you mistareno suggested (not sure why it starts instantly when cold in this case though).

2. Heatsoak of some electronics, possibly the tacho relay

I will look for the symptoms you suggested, and also will try to start up with a cold tacho relay (I have a spare good one) which I will replace just before cranking in such situations.

If it turns out the injectors leak, is it possible to repair them? Or just have to replace?

And if I have to replace them with used ones, how do I check to make sure these aren't leaking themselves? Plug them to some power source and see?

I don't get the suggestion about the coolant sensor, can you elaborate DjB8V?
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 14th February 2012 at 02:44 PM.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

I had troubles with cold start fuel mixtures with a previous car. It turned out to be a dodgey water temp sensor and you mention sometimes on hot days it was worse.

But now that I think of it, it wouldn't be the case with a 205. Pay no attention to my first post, put it down to looking at AF while I'm at work and not thinking straight.....

A leak in the fuel system sounds good to me, nice work.

Chris

205GTI - 8 valve, single cam coolness.

non-return valve on the fuel pump leaking?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I think there's equal chances of any of these issues being the problem. See, that's why people give up. Too many issues to chase. Well, I'll see what I can do and report back. I guess a fuel pressure gauge would be good.

Thread Information