2006 T5 1.6 HDi manual wagon - jerky acceleration and cutting out
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon8 2006 T5 1.6 HDi manual wagon - jerky acceleration and cutting out

Hello everyone in French car land,

This is my first forum message; I am so pleased there is a forum such as this for me to search to diagnose many of the problems my car develops but will not be divulged to me by my mechanic, due to my apparent lack of knowledge about the mystical powers of French mechanical and electronic engineering. It 'does his head in' but at least I now get a knowing 'nod' from him from time to time... I think we are making progress - unlike the reliability of my Pug.

I purchased the above car second hand 3 years ago with 85,000 kms on the clock. It now has 160,000. I was told by the blue-box dealer they were super reliable... unfortunately the only thing I can rely on is it breaking down continually, the dealer/repairer not being able to tell me what is specifically wrong (but the car gets fixed for a while), and paying up big $$$ to get it back driving normally for a tankful or two of fuel before it has another nervous breakdown and goes in the foetal position...but only when I am on a bridge, in a tunnel or in the inside lane of a major road in peak-hour traffic.

All other repairs and high cost replacement parts aside, in December the car started developing a loss of power and 'shuddering' acceleration, then the omnipresent 'Depollution System Faulty' sign appeared with a 'bing'. The codes were checked by a local (non Pug mechanic) and it said I had P0087 (Intermittent Fault) 'Diesel high pressure regulator circuit. Pressure below reference value', then P1113 appeared (Intermittent Fault) 'Diesel high pressure regulator circuit. Rail pressure below maximum pressure'. My dealer advised me (as he is 100kms away but the best in the area) to change the diesel fuel filter and it would be probably right. I replaced that at a local mechanic shop (I am getting good at changing these and priming the system now) but the problem didn't heal. I called back and was told that it wouldn't get better until I cleared the backlog of codes. I got this done the next day (at closing time at a generic Euro mechanic using Peugeot Planet software) but within 3kms the car went into limp home mode (2 days before Christmas).

Advertisement

I then went on leave (begrudgingly using my 'back-up' 1989 Lancer hatch for the 500km journey - never breaks down) and upon my return and the car having a rest, the codes had cleared and I was happy... apparently prematurely! As the level in the fuel tank lowered below 3/4 full, the issue returned and the wife got angrier. This problem has been occurring since and goes from mild to totally cutting out with a cough and a few beeps of the STOP sign appearing in red on the dash.

After checking some posts on here and 'Honest John' I am fairly sure the diesel line is sucking air somewhere close to the fuel tank or inside the tank through the fuel pick-up pipe. The unpressurised aerated diesel is transported into the engine and is causing problems dropping the fuel pressure, resulting in the poor injection of fuel and the associated shuddering. Also to support this theory when I would refuel the car the shuddering would continue for about 15kms then the car would 'heal' itself and return to it's full power, thus my belief the problem is in the tank and once the line purges the air it restores itself and the fault resets.

I believed the problem was with a riser pump failing in the tank but I was told by the dealer the 1.6 doesn't have one (just the 2 litre version), thus I think the 'gravity feed' from the tank allows the problem to 'heal' with a full tank of fuel, but worsens as the fuel level lowers. As it lowers there must be a leak in the delivery line or at one of the hose clamps where the air ingress is occurring. I read it could also be electrical but I have checked wiring corrosion at the connectors and the fusebox - all good (but doing this DID reset the fault code for 20kms)!

Due to work commitments I have not been able to deliver the car to the dealer but the dealer concurs with me about the suggestion, but also that if it is not this, then there may be a partial blockage in the fuel line and/or the fuel rail pressure sensor may be faulty.

Can anyone out there please HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM if you can. Any advice will be appreciated!

Regards and thanks for taking time to read this short story!

Brett (Brisbane)

The Depollution System fault occurred in our T6 307 due to a fault exhaust pressure sensor (EGR sensor). Check that out first.
    Depollution system fault, Peugeot 307 HDI

I can help.
    3260 7500 Mon to Fri. 7am. to 4 pm. If you book it in with Rusty he will ensure it gets my full attention.
    If you can give me a " case history" and service history will make it easier.

Let's fix the thing!

Tadpole

Thanks Stew, I will call Rusty and get an idea on what I am looking at. I am still paying off the last combined bills from the last repairs (I am down from $4,260 to only owing $1700 on the balance).

I hope it is something clearly identifiable like the EGR being clogged or something else that can be repaired cheaply as this car (after owning over 30 cars) has truly broken my spirit for the first time. If I want to enjoy a drive again I dust of my 1967 HR Holden and go cruising. It is so nice to see you guys having a passion for rebuilding Pugeots - clearly the company has lost its way with technology versus reliability.

Thanks also to Sgt Doofey, I had already viewed that thread and the You Tube video.

Stay tuned. For the sakes of other inquirers with similar issues I will reply with a fix for the problem soon I hope.

Kind regards

Brett

Thread Information