Eurovox in Pug 206's and Astra's
  • Register
  • Help

Eurovox in Pug 206's and Astra's

Well my mate has a new Holden astra (near new) and he got a nice $500 (marked down to $400) Pioneer head unit in his car today. The dude said his speakers that cam,e with the car were good enough not to replace and that a decent head unit would give a very decent sound... which it does, a lot better!

Advertisement

Now the Eurvox system in the new Astra's are simillar in make to the ones in the 206's and are a pain to replace, as in the pugs because you need all kinds of adaptors with the wierd wiring.

Anyone just put a head unit in their car and not bothered about replacing the speakers?, becuase the astra with it's near identical system to the 206 sounds amazingly better with a more powerfull head unit, so much so you wouldn't bother putting in any custom speakers unless you wanted a big subby. but thats just my opinion...

Oh, btw, I spotted a blue 306 GTi6 "sjl" in Chatswood Chase shopping center today wink
    head_ban fellow frogger finally spotted!
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Are we talking about the same Astra?

The last current model Astra I was in had a headunit that was pretty well integrated into the car. It looked totally different to the Eurovox in the 206, which you also find in VW Golfs for example.
    <a href="http://www.carsales.com.au/photos/1295194.jpg" target="_blank">A link</a>

From what I gather, it's best to replace the speakers before doing a head unit upgrade. The speakers that the car comes with are pretty rubbishy. Invoice price for the 307's speakers is around $16 Really, they are crappy speakers

Most manufacturers put in cheap lousy speakers, unless you're dealing with more luxurious ones.

I remember reading 206gti.net and when they talked about the improvements about the muxed cars, one of the main ones was the new Clarion/VDO headunit - it sounded much better than the old Eurovox. I suspect the only advantage the Eurovox would have is radio reception - local radios generally cope better, especially with range.

Another point you might want to investigate is putting sound deadening in the doors to improve the sound quality. The 206's doors are a somewhat tinny. The VW Golf doesn't have an amazing sound system (same headunit as the non muxed 206s), but sounds much better because of the above.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

As far as i knew the new astras use a blaupunkt head unit as standard, thats what it had in my friends SRI, i was going to change to head unit but the only brand who seem to have adapators are sony and i dont like there head units
    2002 Peugeot 206 XT 1.6 16v sold
    2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTI 180

1983 Peugeot 505 STI

yeah actually it's not the latest model, think it may be a 2000 model. But it def' is a eurovox and looked very similar to the one in my pug'
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

i bought a kenwood headunit...and to replace it in my 206...i just simply had a adapter plug...plugs straight into the existing power and speaker wires....easy as that...not a wire cut!
    i'll try and find out where u can get these adapters from..
    2002 China Blue Peugeot XT
    Canberra Raiders #1 Season Ticket Holder

MR 206 ,does your display in the centre console still work and the stereo control on the steering wheel as well with the kenwood deck ?
    2002 Peugeot 206 XT 1.6 16v sold
    2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTI 180

1983 Peugeot 505 STI

nah afraid not...
    only the clock and petrol details and dat work...nothing for the stereo....

n b j:

Anyone just put a head unit in their car and not bothered about replacing the speakers?, becuase the astra with it's near identical system to the 206 sounds amazingly better with a more powerfull head unit, so much so you wouldn't bother putting in any custom speakers unless you wanted a big subby.
    ...nbj, you have the options here. As justin has stated 206's are quite tiny compared to Astras and Vdubs.
    I know what i would do, but my reccomendations is to get the best Headunit you can afford, if you feed your speakers sh!t they will play just that.
    Then, when you have more money upgrade the speakers, tricky in a 206 as you have the tweeter at the a pillar to deal with..
    Also as justin stated, sound dedaning really works well, have the next time time the service center is working on your car, ask to have the door cards removed.
    Take the car home and go to Jaycar and buy some BrownBread sheeting, ask the counter guys how to use it, (use your sisters hairdryer to soften it up) and apply around the general area of the speaker, then if you don't mind some extra holes, drill and screw the speakers with 3 or 4 extra screws each, good sold mounting will do wonders for bass and mid range responce. Have the door trim remounted, or if your confi with it do it yourself. cheers Xq
    ... ptui!

1000+ Posts
    Pug307:
    Another point you might want to investigate is putting sound deadening in the doors to improve the sound quality. The 206's doors are a somewhat tinny. The VW Golf doesn't have an amazing sound system (same headunit as the non muxed 206s), but sounds much better because of the above.
    The C3 must have lots of sound deadening in the doors then. It sounds absolutely stunning compared to the exact same stereo in Brenno's parents 307XS. There was a write up in The Guide about the C3's standard stereo being the second best stock stereo system (without sub) in any new car on the market in Australia. I think a Subaru with option Linn system was voted number 1. There were a whole heap of judges from the audio industry - can't remember any particular names off the top of my head.

The biggest problem I'd have with changing stereos is reducing the functionality of the screen you get used to. Good reason to stick with the 306 which doesn't have a central screen

Derek

1000+ Posts
    xqisid:
    (use your sisters hairdryer to soften it up)
    He might have his own

Derek cheers!

DeKa:
    xqisid:
    (use your sisters hairdryer to soften it up)
    He might have his own

Derek cheers!
    The rear ender sent a few cheeky traits up and running derek?... I just assumed that for most of the lads its the women folk who have their own hairdryer, don;t take your mom's or she will only pester you.."WHY, what"
    When i used to muck about on our family car when i was still in school, they would come home to find several bits missing, i once pulled the Rochester of our 5l calais, only to have to get a rebuild kit as i stuffed up several gaskets....lol. sorry for getting of topic. cheers Xq
    ... ptui!

if any1 wants to replace their radio in their 206...i can tell u how u can get the adapter for it...it saves cutting wires...and uses ur existing speakers....but its only for Kenwood headunits...

DeKa:
    There was a write up in The Guide about the C3's standard stereo being the second best stock stereo system (without sub) in any new car on the market in Australia. I think a Subaru with option Linn system was voted number 1. There were a whole heap of judges from the audio industry - can't remember any particular names off the top of my head.
    Are you serious? Any links to this publication?

Second best, you've got to be kidding :p Did they just go and checkout the cars their hairdressers were driving or something

Very few stock systems actually have subs, so theoretically that should've included about 99% of stock car audio. Whilst the C3's unit is fine for a supermini, it's nothing special compared to any decent stock system. Was the rating based on value or something similar?

The 206 does sound better than the 307 for sure, it's got more warmth in the sound and the smaller cabin area also helps. I'd say the 307 has crisper treble and a better staging effect as you have the tweeters bouncing sound off the windscreen, but the bass and midrange is quite lacking. As you drive up the audio settings, distortion sets in. The sound quality is variable in the few 206s I've driven (using the VDO/Clarion headunit). The C3 wasn't much different to be frank. IIRC, the Clio Sport actually sounded better than both.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

DeKA wrote: The biggest problem I'd have with changing stereos is reducing the functionality of the screen you get used to. Good reason to stick with the 306 which doesn't have a central screen
    My mates astra has a similar screen in a center console with all kinds of info and data. He was initially going to take it to his "mate" to install it, but after his mate looked at it and saw the wireing he said "whoa, man this is complex, not touching that cause it will stuff up ya center console thingy.." and then he took it to some other car audio place who said that they could instakll the head unit no probs but he would lose certain features (like data and other info) on his center console screen thingy....

So my mate took it to Strathfield car audio on Pacific Hwy, Artarmon (NSW) and they managed to fit the head unit and keep 100% of the funcionality of the center console display and also wire it so that when his mobile phone console wrang, it cut out the stereo and it played the hands free through the speakers. Very professional, very neat, very tidey, they were the only ones who would touch the eurovox system and they did an excellent job on it!
    head_ban
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

n b j:
    DeKA wrote: The biggest problem I'd have with changing stereos is reducing the functionality of the screen you get used to. Good reason to stick with the 306 which doesn't have a central screen
    My mates astra has a similar screen in a center console with all kinds of info and data. He was initially going to take it to his "mate" to install it, but after his mate looked at it and saw the wireing he said "whoa, man this is complex, not touching that cause it will stuff up ya center console thingy.." and then he took it to some other car audio place who said that they could instakll the head unit no probs but he would lose certain features (like data and other info) on his center console screen thingy....

So my mate took it to Strathfield car audio on Pacific Hwy, Artarmon (NSW) and they managed to fit the head unit and keep 100% of the funcionality of the center console display and also wire it so that when his mobile phone console wrang, it cut out the stereo and it played the hands free through the speakers. Very professional, very neat, very tidey, they were the only ones who would touch the eurovox system and they did an excellent job on it!
    head_ban
    i still have full functions on the centre console display...just doesnt show radio details...so it worked out fine for my 2min do it urself job. head_ban

i got my headunit done about 1.5yrs ago and they did it in 2mins,i just did all the amps in my car and it sounds good ,but now i`m looking at are new headunit
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

Tadpole
    There was a write up in The Guide about the C3's standard stereo being the second best stock stereo system (without sub) in any new car on the market in Australia. I think a Subaru with option Linn system was voted number 1. There were a whole heap of judges from the audio industry - can't remember any particular names off the top of my head.
    central screen

Derek
    A friend of mine has a Liberty B4 (and it has a McIntosh audio system not Linn) and it is truly the most astounding stock audio system I have heard. There is a link to it on this page: <a href="http://www.drivesubaru.com/01_04_Winter/SoundVision.asp" target="_blank">Subaru Audio</a>

If the C3 was number #2 I can only surmise that it is a distant #2

Simon.

<small>[ 03 July 2003, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Simon Craig ]</small>

As far as stock systems in cars go, the best I have ever seen and heard is in a friends Mercedes ML 500. Comes standard with a really really nice BOSE sound system. It has 4 6x9's, 4 tweeters and 2 9" subs as standard as well as sound dampening, it's just incredible when you crank the system up! It's unbelievable! all these new Merc's with fullon doof doofs driving aorund the place wink Playing vivaldi though wink
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Bose certainly isn't bad, but if you really want the best audio - look elsewhere. A friend of mine works in home audio and basically he says Bose is for clueless yuppies who just want the badge. Mind you, the margins for Bose products are some of the best

Edmunds is one of the few auto publications I've come across that does a specific stereo analysis in their comparisons. Here is their <a href="http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/58886/article.html" target="_blank">review</a> of car audio for the best systems in more expensive cars.

Before you jump on me for my comments about Bose and the Bose system coming second, read the comments for number three

A Mark Levinson, a Harman Kardon brand, came first and from what I can gather is one of the best names in stock audio. Dynaudio make some great speakers - but these are brands which most of us haven't heard of, unless you're an audiophile (I tell you the money that some of them spend is just nuts!).

For more affordable cars, here is the <a href="http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/55745/article.html" target="_blank">top 10</a>. In my experience, in recent years, the Japanese seem to have more consistent car audio in their more affordable cars.

But here are some cars that have damn good audio.
    <a href="http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/45496/page011.html" target="_blank">"This system is such a clear winner in this comparison test, it almost isn't fair"</a>
    <a href="http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/46528/page012.html" target="_blank">"To get much better than this, you'd have to go to the aftermarket and have someone design a custom system for you"</a>
    <a href="http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/64635/page006.html" target="_blank">"Impressive quantity and quality of sound"</a>

I've heard these systems, and they're telling the truth

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I wouldn't mind hearing the Mark Levinson system in the Lexus convertible (SC430?), be curious as to how good they have made it.

Justin is right, the Golf stock system is very impressive. I replaced it with a good deck, amp and focal speakers and it didn't sound THAT much better. Just louder.

I found 306 to be a bit of a waste of time with audio. You could try some sound deadening in the doors, but there is something about the acoustics in that car that doesn't mix well.

The stock system in the 307 is very disappointing.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

GTI124:
    The stock system in the 307 is very disappointing.
    Please don't remind me wink When you've listened to some of the best stock audio on the planet, you become an audio snob

I read a post that said the 307 has next to nothing inside its doors or behind the speakers - it's just open space, so the sound is lost inside the door. It's a pity the audio is so mediocre, as the car is fairly quiet and the positioning of the tweeters gives a good staging effect. From what I can gather, one of the strong points about the Golf is that its speakers are well housed. If you look at the system it has, it's actually nothing that special on paper - but it's well installed. The same Eurovox system on the 206gti.net site was often replaced.

Thats the difference between the good and bad car manufacturers. The lazy manufacturers think its just fine to put equipment with big numbers, but don't actually consider acoustics - positioning or housing of speakers. The good ones engineer the sound from the start. Having read some posts on another forum by an audio engineer, car audio is really quite interesting.

That's why car audio isn't just about numbers. Some people think audio is about noise and how loud you can get. I think it's about quality, and obsession about wattage won't necessarily give you that!

<small>[ 04 July 2003, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Pug307 ]</small>

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

nJm
    It is interesting trying out supposedly 'premium' sound systems. My uncle's 2002 model BMW M3 has the optional Harmon Kardon 10 speaker stereo (8 speakers and 2 small subs) which I found quite disappointing. It is impossible to get a warm sound, and the only controls you have are for trebble and bass. The bass was fairly clean, but the trebble was too sharp and it lacked mid range. Quite a shame when it added something like $7k to the price of the car (including satnav and a tv).
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

I recently drove most of the cars mentioned (snig)... but i always forget to have a good fidle with the radio.. damm. I like user ability of most of the Lexus range, but as for sound its hard to go past the impact of the SL55 AMG, with the roof down is very ordinary, not much better than most cars, but with the roof on it really cranks and has a very uncoloured sound, one of the very few cars that i ever bother to have a good fiddle,....
    Im ussualy too busy wipping the drewl from Mr Brinkmans new Aston M, Mr schofields Turbo Bentley or Reeces, Lotus 111s, or Trevors GT3(orange at that and with Formula R rubber)...
    oh dear. cheers Xq
    ... ptui!

Justin, yep, the Golf uses metal sheeting to cover the holes in the doors rather than plastic that most manufacturers use. There is almost no air escapaing from behind the speakers. The equipment itself is ordinary, but the set up and extra $5 has gone a long way.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Thread Information