Yet again, a request for advice. 505. AND 306.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Yet again, a request for advice. 505. AND 306.

Firstly, please don't yell at me!

Secondly, is the only cure to this Peugeot bug an empty bank account?!

Thirdly! I'm looking at buying two cars, fairly soon.

Advertisement

A 1998 2.0L 306, manual. It has a NSW rego expiring in 4 days. 315000 on the clock, with a new timing belt and wheel bearings. Recent service history available. Electric windows at the front have an issue (seller suggested a fuse possibly?). It was listed for 1700, then 1300, now $799. The owner leaves for england in a week, and needs it gone.

The price is one temptation. The other is a currently working and registered manual. The biggest temptation is so I have a daily driver when this happens:

505 sti want to sell

I want to buy this car to start pimping out my 504. Manual gearbox, the beautiful 15inch rims (it appears to have GTI not STI rims). Some of the sway bars etc. Air con, power steering.

I don't expect this work to be quick considering my lack of time, and lack of garage currently (where am i going to store three pugs?!), hence the desire for the 306. The 306 will probably be hitting the market again when I've done most of the work to my 504. The 505 will probably get scrapped, or bastardised with the 504 bits and given to the girlfriend.

This is a pretty huge step, and takes me from owning an old Peugeot, and being a COMPLETE nut. Any advice for things to look for in the 306 (rego wise as well), and whether or not I've found the right 505 for my 504 would be great.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by FedGrapes View Post
    Firstly, please don't yell at me!

Secondly, is the only cure to this Peugeot bug an empty bank account?!

Thirdly! I'm looking at buying two cars, fairly soon.

A 1998 2.0L 306, manual. It has a NSW rego expiring in 4 days. 315000 on the clock, with a new timing belt and wheel bearings. Recent service history available. Electric windows at the front have an issue (seller suggested a fuse possibly?). It was listed for 1700, then 1300, now $799. The owner leaves for england in a week, and needs it gone.

The price is one temptation. The other is a currently working and registered manual. The biggest temptation is so I have a daily driver when this happens:

505 sti want to sell

I want to buy this car to start pimping out my 504. Manual gearbox, the beautiful 15inch rims (it appears to have GTI not STI rims). Some of the sway bars etc. Air con, power steering.

I don't expect this work to be quick considering my lack of time, and lack of garage currently (where am i going to store three pugs?!), hence the desire for the 306. The 306 will probably be hitting the market again when I've done most of the work to my 504. The 505 will probably get scrapped, or bastardised with the 504 bits and given to the girlfriend.

This is a pretty huge step, and takes me from owning an old Peugeot, and being a COMPLETE nut. Any advice for things to look for in the 306 (rego wise as well), and whether or not I've found the right 505 for my 504 would be great.

Gearbox not suitable for the XN engine, but Simon on the forum is desperate for an STi box.
    Graham
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 7th February 2012 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Gearbox not suitable for the XN engine, but Simon on the forum is desperate for an STi box.
    Graham
    This advice is excellent for tempering my sleep deprived self. What model/year should I look for to find a BA7/5 or BA10/5? As I understand both these are suitable, and will physically fit due to me currently having the ZF 3HP22.

Is the suitability based on different housing lengths? Or are there different mounts between the ZD/ZE and XN motors?

I've read here about many conversions, and repairs, and replacements... but I must admit some of terminology has been beyond my understanding in the past (steep learning curve!), so important facts have probably slipped by unnoticed!

Blake

VIP Sponsor

This advice is excellent for tempering my sleep deprived self. What model/year should I look for to find a BA7/5 or BA10/5? As I understand both these are suitable, and will physically fit due to me currently having the ZF 3HP22.

Is the suitability based on different housing lengths? Or are there different mounts between the ZD/ZE and XN motors?

I've read here about many conversions, and repairs, and replacements... but I must admit some of terminology has been beyond my understanding in the past (steep learning curve!), so important facts have probably slipped by unnoticed!

Blake
    The bell housings and input shafts are different.
    A BA7/5 will fit but has to be from a late 505 GR or Sr or Sli.
    A BA10/5 is highly likely to fit as these were mainly fitted to XN engines in Australia. only exception being the Diesels which again are different from XN.
    You have a ZF?
    If this is an LTi, an Australia only model, this must be an owner modification as Australian cars from 1972 had Borg Warner 35 transmissions.
    Graham

You are right. I am tired, and even though the borg warner manual is IN MY HAND, i mixed up numbers!

I'm guessing my best bet to find a BA7/5 is the swap forums here. In which case, this 505 again becomes a decent proposition for all the other goodies.

Is the sump with AC compressor mounts compatible between XN and ZD/ZE? Or do I need to custom mount/keep searching?

Maybe I should search for a 505 GR/SR/SLI, and just buy the 15inch mags seperately.

Simon W? I will contact him regarding this STI We might work out a share on the parts!

As always, thank you all to sharing your huge depth of information! I can't wait to be the one who can help, not just be helped!

VIP Sponsor

You are right. I am tired, and even though the borg warner manual is IN MY HAND, i mixed up numbers!

I'm guessing my best bet to find a BA7/5 is the swap forums here. In which case, this 505 again becomes a decent proposition for all the other goodies.

Is the sump with AC compressor mounts compatible between XN and ZD/ZE? Or do I need to custom mount/keep searching?

Maybe I should search for a 505 GR/SR/SLI, and just buy the 15inch mags seperately.

Simon W? I will contact him regarding this STI We might work out a share on the parts!

As always, thank you all to sharing your huge depth of information! I can't wait to be the one who can help, not just be helped!
    No, entirely different engine so different sump, the ZDJ air con mounts on the block.
    Graham

The front windows are more likely to be a broken wire or two in the door loom as this is a common fault with the 306 series.
    All though it could be a fuse, but most likely a broken wire (:
    P-Plater

Obsession for le Peugeot!

Current:
    '98 306GTi6 + Bianca white+ Sun roof.

Previous:
    '99 306Style

I live for the 6!

And also with 2 litre peugeots, listen for a knock when the clutch is released as the upper engine mount suffers a lot in the 2 litre cars, with this many kilometres I could almost guarantee it would have a cracked plate where the engine mount bolts to the car, easy fix if you find a faq (:
    And any other common faults like the heater matrix, it tends to leak if it's still the original one and hasn't been repaired, will leak in the footwell area.
    Also check control arm bushes and any signs of burnouts, eg bits of rubber under the guards (:
    It will most likely have a few body dents as well, nothing major as well (:
    Hope this helps!
    P-Plater

Obsession for le Peugeot!

Current:
    '98 306GTi6 + Bianca white+ Sun roof.

Previous:
    '99 306Style

I live for the 6!

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Are you sure the wheels on that STI are 15 inch? They may well be metric, as STIs were fitted with metric wheels from new. If so, keep away.

My brother will have a set of 15 inch wheels with good tyres available for sale soon. After I get the 16 inch wheels fitted to my car, he will be taking the 15 inch wheels and excellent Bridgestone tyres from my car.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

'Grapes,
    Rod Slater had a brace of 306 lined up on Sunday after the day out.
    Going cheap, no warranty. Justin knows about them.

Well, the 505 is not going ahead. Not worth the effort of travelling that far for a car without the gearbox and wheels I want.

Also, the lady friend says it wasn't a great idea. Partially agree!

I'm going to check out the 306 tomorrow night, if it hasn't been sold first. I might pop into Eurocars first, and see what's on offer there for cheaaap from Rod! Cheers for the heads up e-beeeeeeeesty!

Also, I'm off to get my Peugeot bicycle tonight! Wooo!

Thanks for the advice Brad, I'll check those things out!

John, I'll send you a PM or a mumbled phone call about those rims.

Has anyone dealt with this ebay seller?

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/italianme....c0.m270.l1313

that set of new rear lenses is shiny!

Those lenses are reproduction, not as good as they look and will fade. Go to www.ebay.fr and keep an eye out for NOS (new old stock) lenses.
    John W

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Check out these cabochons. Neuf, stock d'époque. This is what you need.

http://cgi.ebay.fr/PEUGEOT-504-Paire...item4ab33a3402
    John W

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

Quote Originally Posted by peujohn View Post
    Those lenses are reproduction, not as good as they look and will fade. Go to www.ebay.fr and keep an eye out for NOS (new old stock) lenses.

Yet again, saved from a costly learning experience!

I guess it's time to give up my dreams of speaking German or Spanish, and go for French!

Thread Information