MI16 rims on a 306?
  • Register
  • Help

Default MI16 rims on a 306?

Hi Froggers,
    Long time follower first time poster.

Currently, I have a 306 XT running the stock standard 14" rims with a 175/65 tyre, but I have acquired a set of 15" rims from an MI16 with 195/55 tyres and I'm not sure how or if I can make them work on the 306. A trial fitting yesterday was an epic fail.

They looked great but there was tyre on body/tyre on suspension contact in a few places and I'm not game to drive it.

I have heard of people using spacers on 4x4s to widen the wheels base but am not sure if this is a viable option. If there is any other means of mofiying the car to accomodate the rims, I am open to suggestions.

I don't want to compromise the handling or damage the car if I can help it but it would be great if I could make it work.

Advertisement

My old XT had bigger, wider wheels than these and the only way is with spacers. By the way this is illegal in Victoria and may void your insurance claim if discovered by the insurance company after an accident : (

By the way a bigger, heavier wheel and tyre combo will definitely reduce performance and handling of your car.

I see...
    The wife used to work in insurance and she said the same thing although I didn't realise spacers were illegal in Vic.

So (hypothetically speaking of course) if I used 15mm spacers, would this achieve the necessary clearance? The tyres are 20mm wider than the stock set... How big a spacer can be safely used?
    Last edited by Mr B; 5th February 2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: to clarify

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

You can get 15 inch 306 alloy wheels, as fitted to XSI, S16, GTI6 and Rallye. There are a couple of designs, both look really good. This might be a better option for you.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    So (hypothetically speaking of course) if I used 15mm spacers, would this achieve the necessary clearance? The tyres are 20mm wider than the stock set... How big a spacer can be safely used?
    + 1 for above....

You need to do some homework and find out what the offset of both size of wheels and then you can determine spacer thickness needed.

Regarding your last question ask an engineer.....

Icon14

Thanks for the feedback gents. By the sound of it, I should abandon this idea. Thanks for helping me make an informed decision.
    I might put a photo in the "parts for sale/wanted" thread.

Thanks again

1000+ Posts

Default 306

IV JUST TAKEN MY SPARE SET OF 15 INCH mi RIMS OFF MY SONS 306 HDI 2000 MOD. THEY HAD 195/60/15 TYRES ON THEM .THEY WERE ON THERE FOR ABOUT A MONTH ,NO PROBLEMS .ONLY A LITTLE RUBbING ON THE PLASTIC INNER GUARD ON ONE SIDE, AS IT WAS SLIGHTLY DEFORMED BY A MILD REAR END SHUNT, WOULD WORK BETTER WITH 185s.cant see why you would have had problems fitting yours PUGS

Years ago I had a Bugeye Sprite with an Anglia 105E rear end. Somebody matched up the front to take Ford wheels as well by fitting maybe 10-12mm plates with the Ford stud pattern.
    That means that the wheels were placed further out from the centre of the arc... the result was that it was twitchy as all hell around corners. And corners were the only place I wanted to be...

Now I've just put a deposit on a 2000 306 xsi. Can't wait to pick it up, my first venture into frog-land!

Can't remember the numbers, but the difference between the Mi16 and 306 rims is the offset. I have both sitting in my drive way. I've put the Mi rims on the 306 to see how they look, but from memory they needed 6mm spacers to provide enough clearance on the end of the rear beam. Much better off to go and buy a set of rims with the right offset from the outset.
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

The only car that I'm aware that can take the Mi16 rims is the S1/S2 205 GTi (and possibly Si). The drum brake rear end has a slightly wider track. Definitely not disc brake 205.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    The only car that I'm aware that can take the Mi16 rims is the S1/S2 205 GTi (and possibly Si). The drum brake rear end has a slightly wider track. Definitely not disc brake 205.
    The Si is good on the front but not enough track at the rear.
    Same goes for the 14 inch MI wheels.
    The 405 8 valve wheels are fine.
    Graham

What I know for sure is that on my 306, when I let the back end down off the jack, the RH rear suspension and the inside of the wheel arch made solid contact with the tyre. The LH rear tyre also contacted the wheel arch but the suspension was just clear (maybe 5mm). The front did not contact anywhere when I lowered it off the jack but I suspect at full lock it would have.

Thread Information