Wanting to learn more about my 607
  • Register
  • Help

Default Wanting to learn more about my 607

Hi guys, I am wanting to learn more about the history and the in's and out's of my 607 series 1 auto. I have been googling for ever and only have found silly reviews from car salesmen. I want to know everything about the history of the car, the type of performance it is capable of, and all the details to make me even more excited when I drive it.

I know this may seem a little bit of a strange request, but this is my 3rd Pug, (504 first one when I first got my licence at 17, and a 505 a few years later). I still haven't found a mechanic here in Brisbane that wants to charge me reasonable rates, (i know they are not charities, but oh gosh I do feel somewhat ignorant and bewildered at some of the prices just to change the oil and filter).

I have so much pride in my 607 that I hunger for any information that will help me understand it more and treat is more like it should be treated. I have read the manual so many times, but it is quite sterile compared to the passion that I see in posts on this site with other Pug owners about there bundles of joy.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys

Justin

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

I've owned 3 of the predecessor 605 and have driven many series 1 and series 2 607.

I now own a BMW 530i, new price with all its options was around $125K vs 607 which was around $75K.

The 607 is a vastly superior drive than my M-Spec BMW in all areas except perhaps engine power/sound/character. Not that the 607 is deficient in any way.

I wrote a review once. I'll dig it up and post it again.

However, give up finding a reasonable mechanic. Accept that you're going to get both ripped off AND have your car ruined. I don't mind paying $10K/year to keep my car in top shape, that's reasonable, but when you spend that kind of money, or more, and you end up with an unreliable hunk of metal with rattles and major faults, then where is the fun?

Hence I replaced my 605 with a BMW and not the car I've always loved.

Full credit to those who persist. Good luck.
    Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

1991 Peugeot 605SVE (Written off 2007)
    1995 Peugeot 605SV (Bianca White) *SOLD*
    2007 Volvo XC70 Electric Silver (PJ-810)
    2009 Volvo XC60 T6 Teknik (Sapphire Black)
    2014 Volvo XC70 Luxury D5 Polestar (Ice White)
    2012 Mercedes Benz C250 (Alabandite)

Past:
    1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 2001 Volvo XC70 and various Volvo 200-series

Fellow Frogger!

The most important thing to know is this:-

1. The transmission is "sealed for life" but that "life" might not be very long if you never do any maintenance on it. You need to be checking the oil level every so often and think about changing it occasionally sometimes as well.
    2. You must only put Esso LT 71141 in the transmission. If it say "LT 71141 compatible" or something on the can, that's not good enough. It has to be the actual Esso product. And don't just trust the mechanic, insist that he uses Esso LT oil.

If the rain sensing wipers go nuts, put rain-ex on the windscreen, specially where the sensor is.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by dieselnutjob View Post
    2. You must only put Esso LT 71141 in the transmission.
    I was looking for this oil too, but deals are too expensive. Does anyone know where can I buy it cheaply? Thanks.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Eurong View Post
    I was looking for this oil too, but deals are too expensive. Does anyone know where can I buy it cheaply? Thanks.
    Get in touch with the distributor in your state (http://www.mobil.com/Australia-Engli...stributors.asp) and they'll tell you where and how to purchase it.

Esso ATF LT 71141 is in the process of being replaced with Mobil ATF LT 71141 (Esso and Mobil are both trade names owned by the ExxonMobil Corporation).

The distributor for NSW is http://lubesdirect.com.au/

Good one Justin
    I am on my 2nd 607 after my 1st was crashed and written off
    I have previously had 403 x 2, 504 x 2, 405, 406 D9 SV V6 manual and 607 Series 1
    Your 607 is smooth, comfortable, spacious and very quiet
    Was effortless to drive long distances
    Easily covered Melbourne to Sydney on way less than a tank full, using cruise most of the time, averaging 100
    Hopefully it will be trouble free
    In 100kkm my series 1 had issues including
    Drivers door window regulator more than once
    An expensive pain and embarrassing in car parks etc
    If yours is jerky or noisy get to it with dry glide or similar
    Chewed brakes rotors every 40kkm
    Returned 11 l/100 around town and 7.7 on a trip
    Never consumed engine oil
    Lost a few dash back lights over time
    Had erratic fuel gauge below last 20 litres, suspected to be dash pickup from fuel gauge but never solved
    Don't forget to use tiptronic to help when hilly or passing as it works a little better in your 4 speed
    Also see what you think with suspension in sport mode
    It was my preferred choice most of the time
    All the best
    Matthew. Now in 2006 series 2 607

Icon14

Hey Matthew thanks for the run down on what is, like you say, a great motoring experience.
    Matthew did you have any issues with an oil leak? Seem to have one from somewhere, however my service people said they all do it.

I love using the 'manual change' option on the gear box as you suggested, just seems better for the car as it can be a little erratic in full auto mode with a little hilly road. Also I am hoping that it is not the start of the end for the gear box but it is a little 'confused' when the car is at operating temp.

And the sport mode is like driving a different vehicle, however as I am a slow and steady boring 41 year old I prefer just in auto haha.

Keep in touch and I would love to have seen a series 2 before I purchased this one as I hear the transmission is awesome.

Justin

Justin,
    My wife owns a series 2 which has only 69K on it. She loves the car just because it is different and drives very nice.
    The only advise I can offer is do as much work as possiable your self, otherwise Peugeot servicing will leave you with no lunch.
    It is very easy to change the oil and filter on the 607, if you get Peugeot to do this it will cost approx $250.
    You can purchase 5W40 engine oil when on special for approx $58 and the filter for $18 or there abouts. The whole job can be done in approx 1 hr.
    Another important thing is to change the coolant every 12 mths. This is very critial due to internal corrision with the alloy motor.
    Spark plugs are a little harder due to the rear plugs covered by the inlet manifold, if you use idoine plugs they will last for at least 80K.
    You will need to check if the cam belt has been replaced, it has to be replaced every 6 years or 120k if the motor does not rev out past 3500 - 4000 too often.
    The car can be heavy on front tyres due to front wheel drive, you will need to rotate the tyres by 7000k and the pressure should be no lower than 38PSI.
    Genuine Parts for the car can be purchased from the UK and will arrive in 5 -6 days, the cost will be at least 1 third the cost than Australia.
    If you maintain the basic servicing on the car it will give you good reliable motoring at reasonable costs.

Good luck

Thread Information