Does Volvo 760 GLE(B280E) use the same injection ECU of 505 V6 (ZN3J)?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Does Volvo 760 GLE(B280E) use the same injection ECU of 505 V6 (ZN3J)?

Hi all,

My 505 injection ecu has been diagnosed to have failed & has been the cause of the overfueling of the car. In fact, it is now cutting of supply of negative/ground to fuel pump/injectors relay while the car is in motion. It also has started to intermittently cut of ground supply to injectors. I have been searching for the ecu for quite some time now, but am yet to find a good one. The part number is Bosch 0280001507 (Jetronic). But all i have seen so far, was Bosch 0280001506 (Jetronic), also for 505 V6 Amerciacn spec. But a friend told me that the one that ends with 506 is for ZN3J with 108 KW 145bhp, while the 507 inj ecu is for ZN3J with 125KW 170bhp,specifically for Euro spec 505 V6 . Though, the 506 i have seen were all dead. They couldnt even start the car. Someone told me that the 506 ecu would work on mine, except that the engine wont be aggressive anymore, since the engine has 170hp (507 ecu), while the 506 is meant for 145hp. But i would prefer to get the 507 ecu and maintain the factory.

I was going through PRV documents i found online and found out that '87 - '90 Volvo 760 GLE & 780 (B280E) were LHJet2.2, the same with 505 V6 (ZN3J). So my question is would the B280E inj ecu work with ZN3J? Even if the part numbers of the vehicles ecus differ?

Also, does anyone have Volvo 760 GLE wiring diagram? I would love to see it, to compare the ZN3J ecus diagram with that of B280Es, to know if it would work.

Thanks.

Advertisement
    Last edited by Ikenna351; 31st January 2012 at 08:43 PM.

Default V6 ecu

G'day,

I might have one here for the 505 V6 in Australia! I am pretty sure that I got one in a bunch of parts from a French car dealership that used to service Peugeots but now just do Citroens. I'll see if I can dig it up and look for the part number.

I'll get back to you shortly,
    James

Thanks James.

Default re 505v6

my 505 v6 runs ecu last digets are 512 im led to believe it is non lamba that is it doesent run oxy sensor so that makes a choice of 3 fuel computers i have also run different spark computer the last won i fitted was of a volvo and my car runs factory peugeot wiring loom might also be worth noting i had overfueling isues and it turned out to be bad earths and faulty temp sensor it was dificult to track down original temp sensor the volvo one is different it was a wile ago now but i think it finished being the same as mi16 405 if you do a google search on the part number i have come across these on ebay b4 might be worth a try

Quote Originally Posted by craig latta View Post
    my 505 v6 runs ecu last digets are 512 im led to believe it is non lamba that is it doesent run oxy sensor so that makes a choice of 3 fuel computers i have also run different spark computer the last won i fitted was of a volvo and my car runs factory peugeot wiring loom might also be worth noting i had overfueling isues and it turned out to be bad earths and faulty temp sensor it was dificult to track down original temp sensor the volvo one is different it was a wile ago now but i think it finished being the same as mi16 405 if you do a google search on the part number i have come across these on ebay b4 might be worth a try

Initially, the engine wiring loom was wrongly connected, especially the engine sensors & the 2 relays (Fuel pump & Main relays) that are connected to the 2 ecus, which was what led to the failure of the injection ecu. I made sure that the ground to the two ecus (Ignition & Injection) is intact, direct from the negative battery terminal head.

I have checked the value or readings of CTS when cold and warm & the readings are ok. When engine cold in the morning, the cts, tested with ohm meter, reads 2.40 k ohms. While it gradually reduces to 1.5 or so ohms as coolant temp rises. I checked the cts of ZPJ in my 605 and the readings were the same with the 505. I even swapped in the 605 cts, and the problem persisted. So I had rule out cts. I have observed that something in the ecu is disrupting the signal it gets from the cts. The car now hard start every morning, when engine cold. Usually, it should be caused by the cts. But the cts still read ok. Sometimes, if i pull out cts plug, the car would start immediately. Somtimes, it wouldnt. The same thing happened when i put in the 605 cts. yet, the 605 starts at first clank of the engine, no matter how cold the engine is, & has never overfueled or emit black smoke. I tested the cts harness with volt meter & the two wires were live. The wire no. 2 from injection ecu reads 0.4 volts, while the wire no. 25 from ignition ecu reads 5.2 volts. Are both suppose to be live when the the ignition is switched on? Shouldnt one of the wires be supply (+), while the 2nd wire be return (-)? I checked the cts harness of the 605 & only one wire is +, while the other is ground.

From the look of things, the injection ecu is the culprit here, i strongly believe.

Ikenna.

Default Ecu

Ikenna,

The ECU that I have is the one that ends in 506. I don't know the condition but can only assume that it was working fine when removed from the car, or maybe it was even a brand new one (unlikely but you never know).

Are you interested in it?

James

James,

That depends. Honestly, I would prefer the one that ends with 507. But how much do want to sell it & how much would be the postal/shipping cost to Abuja, Nigeria? The total cost would determine if I would afford to take the risk of purchasing the 506 ,instead of the 507 (hopefully that it would work with the engine).

Ikenna.

Default V6 ecu

Hi,

I'd say postage would be under $50 AUD to Nigeria at a guess - maybe closer to half of that. I'd have to weigh it and get a quote from Australia Post. I'll let you know.

If you were to get it and it works, then perhaps you could send me a small amount (e.g. $40AUD). If it doesn't work, don't send me anything- just pay for the postage.

I'll get back to you on the postage and you can decide if you want it or not.

Cheers,
    James

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

Wow! Nigeria! I been there once... In Lagos and Benin.

Never saw even one 505.

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by Molerpa View Post
    Wow! Nigeria! I been there once... In Lagos and Benin.

Never saw even one 505.

What! You cant be serious. You may be right anyway. You may not find 505 that much in Lagos. I dont know about Benin, since i havent been there. But if you had been to Eastern part of Nigeria, dominated by Igbo (Ibo) tribe, where i grew up & my tribe, you would not only see the road full with 505, but also with 504 & even 404, especially the 404 pickups.

Ikenna.

i think the volvo b280e uses the 0280001505....see here...

andré
    1986 Peugeot 505 GL (xn6, 4sp auto)

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

Ikenna, believe me... I was Most of the time in Benin City. Lagos, was only less than a day (half day on the way to Benin, and half day from Benin, from Murtala Airport to the local airport)... But I am always trying to find 505 (Spotted in Peru, Venezuela, South Africa, Egypt, etc... I have pictures if you want) but never saw there a 505. 404 yes.

Also they confused my name there (in fact, my sex) so I was delayed like 6 hours... see?

And as you can see, this is the car I choose to be transported every day, from the company I visited there.

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

con
    Fellow Frogger!

Ikenna,

>Also, does anyone have Volvo 760 GLE wiring diagram? I would love to see it, to compare the ZN3J ecus >diagram with that of B280Es, to know if it would work.

Haynes (1258 black cover) has a "Volvo 740 & 760 Owners Workshop Manual" which has a wiring diagram. If you can't get your hands on one, I can scan it for you.

>I made sure that the ground to the two ecus (Ignition & Injection) is intact, direct from the negative >battery terminal head.

The injection system that I am using (GM Delco) specifies that the earth for the ECU must be from the engine block.

Also, I have a spare Bosch ECU from a European Volvo B280E (0 280 001 505) which I bought but ended up not using it (if you get really stuck).

Finally, the attached FAQ (from Turbobricks, I think) may be of some help to you.

Best of luck sorting it out.

con...

Thanks andre and con.

Andre, the link you posted helped a lot. The link confirmed the B280E injection ECU to be Bosch 0280001505 like you said.

Con, I really learnt a lot from the attachment on LHjet 2.2 Injection ECU common failure & repair. I havent even finished reading it yet.

I finally got wiring diagram of 1988 Volvo 760 (2.8L V6). I studied it and compared it with 505 V6 diagram. They are both the same. Meaning that the 760 ECU would work in 505 without modifying anything on the wires. That is to say that Bosch 0280001505, 0280001506 & 0280001507 are the same. Any can be used in any of the two cars: Volvo '88 - ' 92 Volvo 760/780 & 505 V6.

Now, i will include the search in Volvo spare shops.

James, while you are working on the possible shipping cost of the ecu you have, i would check with the Volvo used spare markets here, to know if they have the 760 inj ecu.

Thanks.

Ikenna.

Quote Originally Posted by Molerpa View Post
    Ikenna, believe me... I was Most of the time in Benin City. Lagos, was only less than a day (half day on the way to Benin, and half day from Benin, from Murtala Airport to the local airport)... But I am always trying to find 505 (Spotted in Peru, Venezuela, South Africa, Egypt, etc... I have pictures if you want) but never saw there a 505. 404 yes.

Also they confused my name there (in fact, my sex) so I was delayed like 6 hours... see?

And as you can see, this is the car I choose to be transported every day, from the company I visited there.

I couldnt open the pics or images you posted/attached.

Ikenna.

Default Postage

Hi Ikenna,

It looks like postage for the ECU will be about $40AUD. Let me know if you are interested. No pressure and no rush from my end.

Cheers,
    James

Quote Originally Posted by James S View Post
    Hi Ikenna,

It looks like postage for the ECU will be about $40AUD. Let me know if you are interested. No pressure and no rush from my end.

Cheers,
    James

Hi James,

The thing is, I would like to first check for Volvo 760 GLE injection ecu here in Abuja, since it is also the same with 505 V6 ecu. Is only when i cant get it here that i can now consider getting the ecu from outside the country, which would cost more. Because the $40AUD might seem cheap to one outside Nigeria. But when converted to Naira, it will be much. I will get back to you soon.

Ikenna.

1000+ Posts

Default us 505s

way back before the crash i was in contact with a guy on here from South Australia who gave me the e mail address of a guy in the U.S who had bought up all the parts when ,peugeot bailed ,i emailed him about a part for my 405 srdt ,he couldnt help as they never had them in the states he was from north eastern us .New York state MASS OR MAIN ,PUGS

Quote Originally Posted by James S View Post
    Hi Ikenna,

Cheers,
    James
    James,

Am now interested in your ecu.

I went in search of the 760 ecu here in Abuja & i was told i can only get it in Lagos, which is about a thousand km away from Abuja. I might end up getting faulty one again from there, since my car wont be there for it to be tested.

Since you said the posting would take about $40AUD, i did the conversion to Naira (Nigerian currency) and got N6,911.86NGN, which am ok with, though expensive($40AUD is also the price of the ecu here, if you are lucky it works).

So I would like to purchase yours, which you said i would pay you another $40AUD for the ecu, if i test it in the car and it works, after receiving it. Now I want to send you the money, but how? Remember, we dont do paypals in Nigeria. You can inbox me how you want me to send you the posting money.

If it works, i would like to get a spare too. Because i would also like to purchase the B280E ecu from Con's too.

Am waiting for your reply.

Ikenna.

Thread Information