Best road tyres for dirt/gravel
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Best road tyres for dirt/gravel

Hello all,

Just after some advice from those who use their 205 for racing on dirt/gravel (Autocross namely)
    I have acquired a 205 that requires 4 new tyres for the 14 inch speedlines.

Advertisement

So the size is 185/60 or 180/60, (can't remember off the top of my head) and they need to be road tyres, as the car is to be entered as standard, and cannot have rally tyres.

Thanks in advance,
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...ti6-build.html

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by michael_ozzie View Post
    Hello all,

Just after some advice from those who use their 205 for racing on dirt/gravel (Autocross namely)
    I have acquired a 205 that requires 4 new tyres for the 14 inch speedlines.

So the size is 185/60 or 180/60, (can't remember off the top of my head) and they need to be road tyres, as the car is to be entered as standard, and cannot have rally tyres.

Thanks in advance,
    Hi Michael,
    Are you entering the VCAS event at Deniliquin next Saturday?
    I will be there in my 205.
    May not be much help but I use early Michelin MXV in 195 60 14 that I got from Imlachs (Centre Rd Wreckers) for $30 each in as new condition.
    These are off the spare wheels from Hondas, usually never used.
    Otherwise just get something with a fairly open tread pattern, like the MXVs, but a bit hard to find these days.
    Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Graham,

Yes I will be at Deniliquin this weekend (4th Feb) for the VCAS round, but another club member has lent me a drive of his Ford Laser TX3 for the day.

For the last 6 months I have been racing a Nissan Pintara (Racing is not really the correct word, maybe participating...) But the 205 should see me much more competitive in class A.

For tyres that cheap, I will certainly have to chase that up, thanks for the heads up.

See you up in Deni,
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:

VIP Sponsor

Hi Graham,

Yes I will be at Deniliquin this weekend (4th Feb) for the VCAS round, but another club member has lent me a drive of his Ford Laser TX3 for the day.

For the last 6 months I have been racing a Nissan Pintara (Racing is not really the correct word, maybe participating...) But the 205 should see me much more competitive in class A.

For tyres that cheap, I will certainly have to chase that up, thanks for the heads up.

See you up in Deni,
    Worth going down and having a look, they have heaps of 14 inch tyres, many excellent condition, no demand for 14s. I guess.
    I will be using rally tyres, using up the old ones as the Deni track goes very hard after a while and destroys tyres. I am having a go at class D this year, looking good if I can make it to enough rounds. There are some new tracks also so thought it would be a good year go along to more events than I usually make it to.

Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah, Broadford track should be good at the end of Feb, if it is finished in time.

Am counting down until July, so the car will be 25 years, and I can put it on club rego, because until then I have to trailer it, and I don't have a trailer or a tow car.
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:

VIP Sponsor

Yeah, Broadford track should be good at the end of Feb, if it is finished in time.

Am counting down until July, so the car will be 25 years, and I can put it on club rego, because until then I have to trailer it, and I don't have a trailer or a tow car.
    New track then, we used the dirt bike track for an HRA rallysprint 5 years ago and that was fun, you could get really sideways in a 504!
    Actually end of Feb doesn't sound good, I have a rally that weekend.

Graham

Thread Information