Some 504 questions please
  • Register
  • Help

Default Some 504 questions please

I have an '82 2 lt 504 and have a few related questions:

1. As a general rule, what would be considered a reasonable fuel pump replacement interval ?

2.Will a standard fuel pump cope with a larger fuel filter, - I'm thinking of fitting a larger Ryco 4wd type plastic in line filter.

3. My current engine has a larger 505 'big bore ' exhaust manifold, with a 2' pipe.
    This system is near replacement, and the question is, is it worth going up a size to 2' and a quarter/half for a slight performance gain-or leave it at 2'.

Regards.

Pughead

Advertisement

1.) Replace only when required. If you're worried about being stranded somewhere, keep a replacement fuel pump in your boot.

2.) I'd use a Purflux filter, as they're better quality than the Ryco and are OEM equipment.

3.) The 2" system would be fine. You wouldn't notice any real advantage going bigger. I noticed a big advantage when I got rid of the tiny muffler at the back. Just make sure it's 2" all the way to the rear.
    Peugeot 504 Intercooled T04 Turbo.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by callipygous View Post
    1.) Replace only when required. If you're worried about being stranded somewhere, keep a replacement fuel pump in your boot.

2.) I'd use a Purflux filter, as they're better quality than the Ryco and are OEM equipment.

3.) The 2" system would be fine. You wouldn't notice any real advantage going bigger. I noticed a big advantage when I got rid of the tiny muffler at the back. Just make sure it's 2" all the way to the rear.
    Wot he sez
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

It's great to know that there are still 504s hooting around in North Queensland !
    Do you live up a bush track ? A few people in Northern NSW have 504s and 505s because of their long suspension travel.......great for bad driveways out in the bush.
    Recently I amazed a friend by driving my 505 over gutters that his car would have bottomed out on.

BTW, fuel pumps last for a long time. If it's the type with a plastic body, often people accidentally destroy them when pulling off hoses during replacement. They pull or twist at an angle and the bit the hose clamps onto breaks off. They then suddenly feel very stupid (I was one of these people once).
    If it's the type with a metal body (and I can't remember if the '82 model still had these, but probably not) then it'll probably eventually leak fuel from the middle bit where the bottom half joins the top half. So that's a fire hazard, and replacement is needed.
    The overriding concern is to make sure that the hose going between the fuel pump and carby is in good condition and well-clamped (but not TOO tightly) at either end. There is a little bit of pressure in there from the fuel pump and any leak is right over the distributor......
    I've saved a few cars from imminent fire by spotting bad hoses/end connections.
    It's a very good idea to carry an old spare fuel pump.
    Last edited by Beano; 30th January 2012 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygous View Post

Thanks for the comments.
    I do carry a spare fuel pump, dissy, and lots of other stuff.
    The fuel filter issue was more a question of surface area of what gunk a larger filter might trap , though Im not sure what size the Purflux fuel filters are.
    I'll probably stay with the 2'' system as you suggest , just maybe look at a better flow muffler etc.
    Cheers and Thanks.
    Pughead of the FNQ Peugeot Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by pugnut1 View Post
    Wot he sez
    Thanks Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    It's great to know that there are still 504s hooting around in North Queensland !
    Do you live up a bush track ? A few people in Northern NSW have 504s and 505s because of their long suspension travel.......great for bad driveways out in the bush.
    Recently I amazed a friend by driving my 505 over gutters that his car would have bottomed out on. Yeah I do love em too- mine great for up here, a wagon, koni's, lsd, 5 speed, 32/36 weber,air compressor, 123 ignition,blah blah

BTW, fuel pumps last for a long time. If it's the type with a plastic body, often people accidentally destroy them when pulling off hoses during replacement. They pull or twist at an angle and the bit the hose clamps onto breaks off. They then suddenly feel very stupid (I was one of these people once). It has the top plastic housing
    If it's the type with a metal body (and I can't remember if the '82 model still had these, but probably not) then it'll probably eventually leak fuel from the middle bit where the bottom half joins the top half. So that's a fire hazard, and replacement is needed.
    The overriding concern is to make sure that the hose going between the fuel pump and carby is in good condition and well-clamped (but not TOO tightly) at either end. There is a little bit of pressure in there from the fuel pump and any leak is right over the distributor......
    I've saved a few cars from imminent fire by spotting bad hoses/end connections.
    It's a very good idea to carry an old spare fuel pump.I do carry a spare and a lot of other stuff.... as they say and relevant in motoring in remote areas :" rather be look'n at it ,than look'n for it !
    Cheers
    Pughead
    Last edited by Pughead2; 31st January 2012 at 08:26 PM.

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

I almost came to Cooktown last year. My wife and son and i had a short holiday and went as far north as Hartley's Crocodile Park. I should have come to see you! Would have been the highlight of the trip no doubt.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

And Peujohn??

Quote Originally Posted by peujohn View Post
    I almost came to Cooktown last year. My wife and son and i had a short holiday and went as far north as Hartley's Crocodile Park. I should have come to see you! Would have been the highlight of the trip no doubt.
    Cheers John ,next time you should and can point any fellow froggers toward some great camping spots.

It was great to catch up with all the PCCV members up here for the Prom to the Cape Trip.

Some chaps I hadn't seen in years and it was great to be able to offer some logistical support re local contacts and workshop space in my shed.

Cheers.

Pughead

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben1974504 View Post
    And Peujohn??
    Never mind Ben, it wasn't meant for you. Pughead knows what I'm talking about.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Thread Information