4007 Tow Bar
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 4007 Tow Bar

Default 4007 Tow Bar

Hi All,

A mate a work has a 4007 and is looking at a more economic tow bar proposal than that provided by Peugeot dealers.

I've had a look at the Best Bars (NZ) website and they have a unit to suit, but was wondering if there is a more local solution?

Advertisement

Has anyone tried having the appropriate Mitsubishi Outlander Haymann Reese unit fitted?
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:
    "Betty" 1997 Black 306 GTi6
    "Shaggy" 2001 Green Subaru Outback

The Mrs. Has
    "Wags" 2006 Ash Grey 307 XSE Hdi Touring

And for floating...
    "Korka" 1978 Red/Blue Ramsay Lynx with 327ci Chevy

Previously:
    "Cliff the 505th" 1985 White 505 GTi
    "Clive the 505" 1983 Poo Gold? 505 STi RIP

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Hi,
    We chose to have the factory (Peugeot) tow bar fitted as it ticked all the boxes in terms of tow weight (2000kg), ball weight (160 kg) plus correct wiring loom. Warranty was also a consideration.

The Mitsubishi Outlander has a reduced towing weight of only 1500 kg & this might be reflected in their tow bar as well. The price difference from local inquiry did not warrant considering a non-standard bar & we needed the 2000 kg capability.

The 4007 tows a 1700kg van with ease. The diesel has bags of torque & will cruise at the speed limit & still provide good economy with the caravan in tow.

Cheers,

K

Thanks Kimdeb,

Can you confirm (or deny) that the factory tow bar is from Best Bars in NZ?

And do you recall the cost to supply and install?
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:
    "Betty" 1997 Black 306 GTi6
    "Shaggy" 2001 Green Subaru Outback

The Mrs. Has
    "Wags" 2006 Ash Grey 307 XSE Hdi Touring

And for floating...
    "Korka" 1978 Red/Blue Ramsay Lynx with 327ci Chevy

Previously:
    "Cliff the 505th" 1985 White 505 GTi
    "Clive the 505" 1983 Poo Gold? 505 STi RIP

The tow bars used by Peugeot in Australia are sourced from best bars in NZ ... they have the genuine peugeot label on

Hope this helps
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Default tow bar

be sure to have correct wiring system...........resistance incorrect leads to onboard computer warning. I dont know/ understand details but a friend had to put in some "gadget" because his car would not accept the LEDs on his trailer!!!!!!!! The genuine thing or a sparkie who understands is the way to go

Hi Far North Kiwi hope this helps the understanding and for those with a thirst for knowledge of the protocols of how the (Controller Area Network ) CAN bus system works see this link
    http://esd.cs.ucr.edu/webres/can20.pdf

Simply put the CAN bus system sends out a request to check the integrity of all things attached to the bus - if it finds the sensor or light outside certain tollerances it assumes a failure of that item and provides a warning.

With additional lights unless the "load" is correct then a fault is assumed. similarly on some systems wher LED's are fitted with out an equivalt load one may see the LED flash very briefly, although somwhat dimmer than normal, as the system checks the circuit

The additional wiring harness provides a CAN bus receiver/transmitter that triggers the light operation via an additional realy and independant power source for the trailer. The car is programmed to recognise that addtional receiver/transmitter so no fault is identified.

Most of the tow bar installations require an additional earth point on the rear light assembly and there is a Peugeot service lettter about this ( I found this out doing reserach after the local dealer could not clear a fault message - side lite fail- after a tow bar installation by them.

I did contact Best Bars who were going to update tghe installation instructions to refer to the service letter.

Best bars were most helpful and good to deal with

hope thgis helps
    Ian
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Tadpole

The genuine towbar for my 307 was $290 from Peugeot and the wiring harness was $440 plus 4 hours fitting at $140/h

I went to a guy in Sydney who custom makes tow bars for European cars and i got the custom bar fitted for $700 and $150 for his can-bus box fitted.

I used to be a foreman for Chrysler Jeep and i've fitted many of their genuine bars and this guy built one rock solid job for me but i realise that you're in Melb.

Thread Information