• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Brissiebill
  • 1 Post By Brissiebill

Thread: 307 running rough, missing

Tadpole

Default 307 running rough, missing

307 XSE petrol 2.0l (2004). Car had been sitting for 6 weeks while we were away on holiday. Got in to go and pick up the dog 10km away. Car started perfectly and ran fine on the trip there. Got back in to come home and the "anti pollution fault"/ engine check warning came on and it immediately started running rough. Made it back home. Let the car sit for a a couple of hours while I "hit the books" After I re-started the car it ran okay until re-started when hot. Then the ecu map would reset and it would run rough again. This pattern happened again and again. I connected it to my excellent ELM 327 OBD interface- connected to an old toshiba laptop- and it came up with several stored errors pointing to the electronic VDO throttle (p0121, p0123, and p01158) and one for injector 4 (p0204). Initially, I thought that it may have been bad fuel or a failing map, coolant temperature, lambda sensor , plugs or the ignition coil pack. I pulled the throttle body out and cleaned and it made no difference. It turned out to be a failing number 4 fuel injector. When warm, it would go open cct.

Advertisement
    tazfrog likes this.

Tadpole

I have same 2004 car, 307 2.0L petrol (touring wagon) and at 107000k's (july '11)was serviced, and because of a misfire, no.1 injector was replaced.

Hello BrissieBill....a key to your problem is the in the statement...."It was sitting for six weeks".....firstly before you get carried away, you have been running on stale fuel which has helped trigger thew codes.
    Dump a can or two of high strength fuel injection cleaner (Nulon is the best) not the rubbish in a bottle from the servo and fill up with 98 octane fuel and give it a good run....100 kays at least.
    I would also check your battery voltage as sitting around for six weeks with a constant aqiescent battery drain is not good for any modern electronic system.
    The battery should be brought up with a charge from a modern automatic 3-4 stage battery charger overnight.

My wife had similar problems to this with her '03 307 XSE 2.0litre and it was down to the fact she was using cheap ethanol laced fuel instead of the good stuff.....this stuff will kill a brown dog
    Plus the fact we were away on hols for nearly two months and I had only one battery charger and that was put on my Jaguar

Once the battery was charged and the fuel replenished with proper 95 (Caltex Vortex or BP) problem was solved by me taking it out for a good "Italian Tune Up"

Cheers,
    Tazfrog

Tadpole

Hi Taz,

Thanks for the input but it really was the injector. Open cct = stuffed.
    tazfrog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brissiebill View Post
    Hi Taz,

Thanks for the input but it really was the injector. Open cct = stuffed.
    Well, it looks like similar problems have surfaced again after six years of problem free running.
    I will have to do some ohm checks on the injectors....the only codes i have brought up is
    P0410 (the extra air valve issue) AND P0445 (Purge valve wiring open circuit) but
    they don't affect the runing....have no ther codes.
    Cheers from Tazfrog
    2003 307 XSEA EW10J4 2.0 ltr petrol AL4
    China Blue.
    2018 Renault Captur 1.2 Turbo Orange/Black

Thread Information