Washing machine vs S16 keys
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Washing machine vs S16 keys

Hey all, first post, proud S16 owner. Unfortunately i made the mistake of putting my keys through the wash which all but destroyed the central locking/immobiliser thingo. It dried out and worked for a while but now i cant start my car at all. I have a spare central locking/immobiliser kit from these guys

Advertisement

http://www.rapidelectronics.com.au/p...4-Door%29.html

but dont know where too start. Really dont wanna shell out for an auto sparky to replace the whole lot. Is there a good quick fix as i need to get it going by next week to move house

Thanks in advance!

1000+ Posts

Welcome aboard!

Start by removing the battery from the key. Then soak the key in distilled water overnight.

If you have a compressor GENTLY blow dry the unit.

Clean the battery contacts with CRC Switch and Contact Cleaner or some CLR on a coton bud. Rince and dry.

Wrap the unit in a tea towel and leave it somewhere it will get warm but not hot. The top of my espresso machine works for me. Leave for a few hours

Fit a NEW battery and try your luck.

All the best

Peter
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    Welcome aboard!

Start by removing the battery from the key. Then soak the key in distilled water overnight.

If you have a compressor GENTLY blow dry the unit.

Clean the battery contacts with CRC Switch and Contact Cleaner or some CLR on a coton bud. Rince and dry.

Wrap the unit in a tea towel and leave it somewhere it will get warm but not hot. The top of my espresso machine works for me. Leave for a few hours

Fit a NEW battery and try your luck.

All the best

Peter
    Good one, I would have suggested the spin cycle and then the clothes dryer

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

I would remove battery, get the innards out of the case, give it a quick wash in metho ( which will displace the water, and evaporates off quickly) and then place in a warm dry spot like a window sill (not direct sunlight) for a day.

Good luck!
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

1000+ Posts

Yes the metho is good for doing what you say but I prefer the distilled water because it will redisolve any of the minerals may have been deposited on the circuit board. The water is also more gentle on some of the ageing plastics that hold the key together.

Chris that is a really STUPID idea. Sheesh, its Heds16 first post and you want to fill his head with that nonsense, you should be ashamed!

We all know putting spin on electrons disorients them, they'll never be able to find the car after that...
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post

Chris that is a really STUPID idea. Sheesh, its Heds16 first post and you want to fill his head with that nonsense, you should be ashamed!

We all know putting spin on electrons disorients them, they'll never be able to find the car after that...
    I'm gutted

I hope hedS16 has a sense of humour and apologise for making light of his/her dilemma - and can only add don't try the microwave

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information