Early 505 struts.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Early 505 struts.

So mums 1982 505 SRDT needs new front shockies. The drivers side one has leaked all its oil out and knocks like mad!

So what I'm looking for is various sources for new inserts. Cheap is nice but don't mind paying more for something good.

Said car does 160+kms a day, 6 days a week on gravel and winding tarmac roads, so Gabriels or similar really aren't much of an option.

What can I get? Where from and how much?

I've searched and found there's not much around for the earlier ones. I take it 504 and 604 inserts are the same?

Thanks

Advertisement

Hayden
    1985 S2 505 GTi. Someone please sell me an S2 drivers side front 1/4 panel so I can get this on the road again.
    1985 S1 505 SRi. Parts car.
    1957 403 sedan. Aka Ruby.
    1979&81 Suzuki LJ81s.
    1980 Suzuki LJ80V.
    1981 Suzuki SJ40 Sierra.
    2000 Suzuki Jimny.

I'm not sure if the diesel requires a heavier duty insert than a petrol car. The motor is certainly heavier and the front springs are heavier duty.
    What I do know is that I bought a set of LIP (brand) inserts from either Caravelle or EAI ( European Auto Imports) .....can't remember which.... and I opted for the non-gas ones. They were a good price, and also marginally cheaper than the gas ones. Apparently they are very similar in operation (ie soft) to what is in there originally. I had gas ones once before in a different car and they seemed quite a hard ride.
    LIP is a well-known brand with a good reputation.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    I'm not sure if the diesel requires a heavier duty insert than a petrol car. The motor is certainly heavier and the front springs are heavier duty.
    What I do know is that I bought a set of LIP (brand) inserts from either Caravelle or EAI ( European Auto Imports) .....can't remember which.... and I opted for the non-gas ones. They were a good price, and also marginally cheaper than the gas ones. Apparently they are very similar in operation (ie soft) to what is in there originally. I had gas ones once before in a different car and they seemed quite a hard ride.
    Wot he says! Try EAI
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

If I was driving 160km a day on gravel and winding dirt roads then I would fit a pair of Bilsteins, not the cheapest shock to buy( and a bit fiddly to fit ) but they are the best shock you can buy and they will outlast the car and save your life several times over during that time.
    If you do go to the time and trouble to fit Bilsteins you will never regrete it!
    You can use either Commodore , which are a little bit less travel ( droop ) then the 505 shocks or a BMW shock which is the same droop as origional 505.

I have the part numbers somewhere if you need them, and can tell you how to fit them.
    Or I have a pair of S/H struts with Bilsteins already fitted.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

Fellow Frogger!

Default 505 Strut inserts

Beware the diesel struts have a larger diameter thread at the top than the petrol inserts. We replaced those on our 84 SRDT 2 years ago with the Lip brand and have no complaints so far. The struts will probably outlast the car.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Rally View Post
    a BMW shock which is the same droop as origional 505...I have the part numbers somewhere if you need them, and can tell you how to fit them...
    Andy, I am sure a lot of people will appreciate these part numbers.

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    Recently inserted Lip Hydramax part number 129158 to my Kenyan 1996 504. My mechanics' also inserted similar struts to his 505 PETROL NOT DIESEL.
    Previously had Sachs STRUTS (Part number 200833) the 504 & they lasted 3years on our terrible Kenyan roads!

Thread Information