Exhaust problems.. Pug 206 gti 180
  • Register
  • Help

Default Exhaust problems.. Pug 206 gti 180

Hello fellow froggie owners,
    I have a big issue. My car has been modified with stainless steel extractors, Straight through Hi tech exhaust system containing 2 1/2 inch piping. Anyway, over Christmas period the cops pulled me over and said its too loud, fair enough. I agree with them and I told them I was going to fix it up. The girlfriend has been bugging me to quiet it down as well. Plus I hate the attention I get at the traffic lights.
    Anyway, I have replace the end muffler with Baffle muffler instead of the straigh through unit (which I still own). It hasn't quiet down at all, and the worst thing is, it still back firers and cracks under deacceleration and exhaust note is alot worst. I have lost a bit of power from it which I did expected.

Advertisement

Why is it backfiring so often? Is it common with this motor to do this with extractors and high performance exhaust. Is it a problem with my ECU? I don't think my car has been chipped,but it won't surprised me if it has. Its going into the mechanic next week, but I don't think he is interested in my problems. The guy who fixed my rear muffler said its a common problem with car such like my pug that the mapping doesn't suited the exhaust system and extractors. Or am I being too fussy?
    Current Cars -

2003 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

Quote Originally Posted by Gti-180 View Post
    ..... Or am I being too fussy?
    Thats a personal question.

In my opinion, no, you are not being too fussy.

On my noisy fuego, I went through 3 new mufflers before going back to the 2nd one...... and the over run popping...thats a tune thing in conbo with having an open exhaust, and I'm slowly working that out of the system with low throttle tuning.
    I have mapped an aggressive fuel cut on deceleration, so its mostly not a problem but still runs like sh!t on 5% throttle opening down steep hills.

First thing I'd ascertain is if it has a factory ECU, chipped ecu, after market ecu or piggy back interceptor.

Then you'll need to find a tuner who can tune whatever ecu your car has.

You might have to take a long drive to Queensland and get magic to re-tune the over run timing and fueling.

Jo

Well its my first BIG service (75 000KM) on the car next week, so I'll ask the mechanic to check it out and find whats on it, and whats missing. Then I"ll go from there. I have never had any problems with any Jap cars that I had owned in the past with a open exhaust. Going down hills with slight throotle and the car will pop and fart untill I get off the gas pedal. I thought it was the fly by wire setup and compare to the old cable throotle setup. Wheather japanese are better at mapping ecus then the europeans, I don't know.
    Current Cars -

2003 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

Thread Information