206 anyone done aux input mod on stock stereo
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 206 anyone done aux input mod on stock stereo

Tadpole

Default 206 anyone done aux input mod on stock stereo

I would like to know if anyone has done the auxiliary input mod on the stock clarion head unit. Either buying the cable or wiring it themselves.
    This would provide a 3.5mm stereo plug to plug the mp3 player into.
    Would like to know how how to do it and or which cable works with our head units in Australia and where to get it.

My car is a 2006 model 206 180. So multiplexed.

Advertisement

Thanks.
    Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 206 anyone done aux input mod on stock stereo-206_clarion_01.jpg  

abe

Hi Phil,

I have one of these http://www.thecarkitcompany.com.au/i...2-ipod-car-kit in my 180.

It says $289 installed but if you ring them up and just order the unit without install I think it costs around $160 from memory...

It's a little box (which I've attached to the bottom of the glovebox above the carpet trim so it's out of site), one cable runs into the cd changer input on the head unit, one cable I have running into my glovebox where it's attached to my ipod.

It basically fools your head unit into thinking the ipod is a CD changer, so you can control it from the head unit or audio stalk (volume, skip tracks, skip albums). It also charges and has auto on/off.

It's not the 3.5 mm stereo plug you were after but if you have an ipod it's definitely worth looking into.

Abe

Although its not exactly what you may be after , I have found this recently.
    http://www.oxygenaudio.com/o-series/363-o-car.html
    You plug your iphone directly into the head unit and it takes over all your sound files, car radio. phone calls, and even shows google maps.
    Pretty clever. If I had the csh I would take out my old head unit and get this.

Or for $80 you could buy a headunit like this?
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...UBCATID=1029#4
    Looks relatively stock. Has AUX, SD, & USB inputs. No CD though-less moving parts!

Hey search eBay I got an adapter that goes into the cd stacker slot. It was plug and play. Cost me 60 bucks and if u look just above the ashtray there is a little removable hatch in the little cavity below the aircon controls I run the aux through there. I'll see if I can link u one from the guys a got it off.
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK
    1998 406 2.0L auto ST WHITE

[email][email protected][email]

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Peugeot-4...#ht_711wt_1142

thats the one i got, works a charm and takes 2 min to put in all you need is the stereo removal prongs. don't freak out about the white and red cables they plug into a converting box then in 3.5mm aux cable. its a snug fit but it all fits without any modifications.
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK
    1998 406 2.0L auto ST WHITE

[email][email protected][email]

Tadpole

I believe these are the pinouts

You can buy this for starters and need to add the resistor so the AUX unit is detected.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270600285172
    Last edited by Steptoe; 20th January 2012 at 01:07 AM.

Tadpole

Hi Guys i know this chat is a bit old

just wanna ask what the ohms reading is for the resistor in the above picture.

thanks
    Last edited by theBritishTwit; 10th January 2013 at 04:18 PM.

might have to experiment? in theory the value of the resistor affects the sensitivity of the signal, correct me if im wrong o_O?

actually, u can look at the bands. my eyes arnt good but what i see is band 1: brown band 2: black band 3: brown and band 4: gold?, so thats 100 ohms i think...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_color_code

I don't suppose the colours marked on the resistor in that diagram might be correct? If you have a chart you can read the value of the resistor from those colour bands.

Tadpole

the only issue with experimenting is that i may end up shorting out the radio or something else in the car.

and we thought the bands on the resistor were red (instead of brown), which means that we need a 2000 ohm resistor...

Quote Originally Posted by theBritishTwit View Post
    the only issue with experimenting is that i may end up shorting out the radio or something else in the car.
    Don't start with a low resistance first then. Why can't you start with a high resistance first and work your way down until the headunit recognises that something is connected to it? Perhaps wire it up to a pot and gradually turn the resistance down in small steps until it works?

Tadpole

good idea

will try and that and see how it goes.

thanks

Tadpole

Hi All, I've also been looking into adding an Aux In so just resurrecting this thread to clarify a couple of things.

Car = 206 XRS (2004)
    Head unit = VDO RD3-01

I plan on buying one of these Blaupunkt aux input leads to connect to CD changer input (blue connector), but I've got a few questions:
    Blaupunkt aux input lead

- Cable is for Blaupunkt, but I assume will fit VDO & Clarion (they seem like the same head unit).

- Linked site says it will not work on OEM fitted units, but I think adding the resistor will fix this. Can anyone confirm if this is the case, and the specific resistance needed if possible.

- I read elsewhere that I will need to get diagnostic machine hooked up so the CD Changer input can be activated. Any idea if this is true?

- Head unit already has blue connector full of wires hooked up. I assume this is part of the standard wiring loom and I just disconnect this when I add the aux cable.

thanks in advance for any help.
    cheers

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Yes, the aux in will need to be configured to active
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by young 4 old pug View Post
    Yes, the aux in will need to be configured to active
    cheers. Is that something my local mechanic might be able to do, or best to take it in to pug dealer?

Tadpole

Can anyone confirm 100% that the head unit can be fooled by adding resistor as mentioned in earlier post?

Confirmation of pins and resistance would be great if possible. I've found a bit of info here (www.peugeot206cc.co.uk - peugeot 206cc owners club ? View topic - Auxiliary input for radio-CD Clarion RD3), but it's contradicting advice above so I'm not sure what to believe.

I've got my cable and it fits fine but now I need to get the HU configured to activate the CD changer input. Local pug dealer has quoted $70 to do this so I want to be sure it'll work before forking out the $$.

cheers

Tadpole

I found some more info here about adding Aux to RD3 head unit. Apparently add 60ohm resistor between 15&16, and that head unit will automatically recognise. Also says this is 3rd hand info.

406oc.co.uk ? View topic - MP3 player connection

Tadpole

bump...I'd really like to know if this resistor trick will work before I fork out the $$ to get dealer to activate CD changer input.

anyone. . . . . anyone?

or, any suggestions where I might be able to get it activated on the cheap. ie. a few beers to someone with gear to do it.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by manchu View Post
    bump...I'd really like to know if this resistor trick will work before I fork out the $$ to get dealer to activate CD changer input.

anyone. . . . . anyone?

or, any suggestions where I might be able to get it activated on the cheap. ie. a few beers to someone with gear to do it.

cheers
    Was just about to head out to Jaycar to buy a variable pot to find a working resistance, but after finding out that you need to activate the CD changer even after getting it working.. I figured I might as well spend money on a new head unit. All I want to do is to be able to play podcasts in my damn car, I don't care much for sound quality for which the RD3-00 is a piece of shit for.

Is there any way I can activate it myself - how much would a dealer charge for this anyway?

just ordered
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Blaupunkt...0dc8ec6&_uhb=1
    and
    a pair of RCA to 3.5mm

Ordered cause i read some posts online where people had no CD changers, and after either DIYing it or getting connectors, they said it worked without any pp2000/dealer working through it. SO im gonna give it a shot, and seeing as it's $10, that's probably cheaper than me going out to jaycar and manually spending hours soldering it through. On the back of my RD3-00 i noticed that there already was a blue cable plugged into the CD Changer slot (C3 on the diagram). I Couldn't find where it lead, my CD and Radio worked without it plugged, I tried checking around the glove box but found nothing. So I have no idea what that blue plug is even doing
    206 anyone done aux input mod on stock stereo-blaupunkt3.jpg

If it fails, new head unit for me.
    Last edited by lion5; 19th October 2013 at 06:43 PM.

Tadpole

I did the DIY cable as shown in the link below on my 2006 307 and it works. I did have to enable the aux input in PP2000.
    Wool 100%: DIY: Add Auxiliary Port to Blaupunkt RD4

Ok my Blaupuinkt just came, looks like i need to enable the aux input

I might just buy this PP2000 yall speak of if it allows me to read fault codes too

Lexia-3 PP2000 Citroen Peugeot Diagnostic tool
    this the one?

Tadpole

Yeah that's the one. I got mine for $100 delivered from Hong Kong off ebay. Mine is the one that works with the 307 (you will note in the ad you linked it says buy a different cable to suit 307) and when I tried it on a 206 it wouldn't work so I won't bother with the link to what I bought. The seller I bought from (ec-base) also does the cable that seems to do all other Peugeot's. $75 for the cable and $25 freight - mine came within a week.
    lion5 likes this.

cheers. Was looking at the ebay ones too, wondered if they were any different

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information