205GTI fan switch(es)
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205GTI fan switch(es)

I have found a problem with the fan switch on my 205GTI and replaced it with a new unit, so now everything is peachy keen.

But here's the problem. When I ordered the part I received two switches. See pictures below (left-three terminal old type switch, middle-current type, right-two terminal switch). One has three contacts, one has two. The three contact switch opens at 101deg C, the one with two contacts opens at 78 deg C.

Earlier in the year I had ordered a new radiator and kept it. This radiator has two locations (both open) for this switches. These locations are on the left hand side of the radiator (as it sits in the car and viewed from driver's seat) and are situated one half way down the radiator tank and the other low underneath that (almost at the bottom).

My original radiator has only one, on the other side, low.

Now the question.

It is obvious these two switches go with the new style radiator I have received, but where does each go (I have my own opinion but I would like to hear yours), and most importantly, what does the second (two terminal) switch do? I need to know at least where to wire it in my loom (again, I have some suspicion, but would like to hear yours).

Advertisement

One more hint in the puzzle, it looks like these switches are used on Mi16 too (says so on their little boxes). Or perhaps the whole thing is an Mi16 specific arrangement that EAI found works on 205GTI as well and they're just selling one kit for both cars?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205GTI fan switch(es)-switch-1-3spade.jpg   205GTI fan switch(es)-switch-1-three-pins.jpg   205GTI fan switch(es)-switch-2s.jpg  
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 16th January 2012 at 01:41 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

The blue switch is used in later GTi's and Si's. It works exactly the same way as your earlier type and is mounted on the inlet side of the radiator, closer to the top.

I have no idea why they would supply a 2 pin unit. It would never work properly with the twin fan A/C setup. Perhaps it's for non A/C models, which were never sold in Australia.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I have the centre picture - blue sensor on my 205. I took my air con off so there was no need to keep the entire circuit, so I ditched it all.

The temp switch has three pins. One for common (Fused positive in), one (+) out for 92 deg operation and one (+) out for 96 deg operation (don't hold me to those figures but I know its close.)

I sent the 92 deg positive of to one relay to operate one fan and the 96 deg off to another relay to operate the second fan which operates perfectly. I also put an override switch on for manual opperation.

One turns on when it's hot, the other turns on when it's hotter and if none turn on when they should, you still have the override.

Very simple circuit.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Thank you guys, both.

True, the first picture is the broken switch (which I am not sure it's broken, but my car overheated with it in and the wiring is good - wiring tested with the new switch plugged in and a cup of boiling water) that came off the car (1987 205GTI).

The second picture is indeed what I found on my Si parts car and what EAI sent me.

Problem here with you said, Pugmonkey is that the new replacement opens up at 101deg C. This seems high for me, but my coolant doesn't boil until 120deg, so might be okay. Did not check the old Si switch. Will do tonight.

The third switch is again in the new set received from EAI, opens at 78deg and though it doesn't have where to go on my car's radiator, on the new radiator from EAI there is a spot where it could go.

I am trying to keep the car standard, otherwise I would have replaced all of that crap with one big dirty manual switch a long time ago.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post

I sent the 92 deg positive of to one relay to operate one fan and the 96 deg off to another relay to operate the second fan which operates perfectly. I also put an override switch on for manual opperation.
    Why would you do that? The circuit as standard is brilliant. Two fans in series for low speed, then two fans in parallel for high speed. A/C turns fans on low speed continuously, then if it gets too hot, the fans still turn on to high speed.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Did you try buying the original part from Peugeot?

Did you read this?

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/att...2&d=1326087841

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

I told you a few times, whenever I call Peugeot, they ask for my car's VIN which I give them and they don't recognise as a 205GTI (or any 205 for that matter) and say they can't help me. This is especially frustrating because I have the original bill of sale and they actually sold the car new!

If you know how to circumvent this difficulty, please tell me. I didn't find anyone at Peugeot in WA who can do any better.

Re you recent suggestions, again, I have the same problem. Whenever I need a new part be it for whatever model of Pug (recently decided to buy the 206 callipers off another member here, and when you suggested I buy the 306 brake master cylinder) I need a VIN number, otherwise I don't get service. Not sure how that'll go, but I'll just try my luck.

Thank you for the info on the 405 temp switches. It looks like I got the Mi16 switches as it says on the boxes. Can you link the entire thread here please, I can't find it?

Now the question is should those temperatures be lower for the 205 (someone mentioned 92 and 96)?

Default water or glycol???

The high speed fan switch on at 102 deg C is interesting.
    Looks like I've done the wrong thing by changing over my coolant to water and corrosion inhibitor.
    Doesn't really get cold enough up here to justify glycol mix.
    However water/corrosion inhibitor would be boiling or close to it at 102 deg.
    Should I go back to water/glycol mix?

Paul

A straight is merely the distance between two corners.

Current: Peugeot 205 GTi Mi16 1987
    Peugeot 205 Si, one red one silver, both 1991.
    Peugeot 504 Wagon, V6 and 5 speed gearbox.
    Isuzu (Holden) Rodeo, 4WD dual cab, extended chassis.

Further investigation with some stubborn scotchbrite revealed that :
    original switch (above left) has two temperature ranges stamped: 84-79 and 88-83
    Si switch (centre) has two temperatures stamped: 97.5 and 2.5. Not sure what the last value means.

This is the detail on the Thermo switch. Item number is 0200.006.1 (page two second from top)

1. On - 97 Off - 92
    2. On - 102 Off - 96

All temp details are marked. Cant upload the pdf so I'll try to put up a link.

adapart.eu/katalog/200.pdf

moo
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

None of those parts are from an Mi16, or any other 405. They have a completely different sensor and method of turning the fans on. As I said, the middle one is late GTi or Si. I have two here.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by 504-504-504 View Post
    However water/corrosion inhibitor would be boiling or close to it at 102 deg.
    Should I go back to water/glycol mix?
    Maybe if you left your radiator cap off, but not at 12-13 psi above atmospheric pressure.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I told you a few times, whenever I call Peugeot, they ask for my car's VIN...........................
    Surely someone on here can give you a VIN number you can use? I'll have a look for one from an old car.

Anyhow, attached are the part numbers for <90 205's. You can decide which one suits you best. I like 126418.

126422 is NFP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205GTI fan switch(es)-205-fan-switch.jpg  
    Last edited by PeterT; 16th January 2012 at 11:14 PM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Maybe if you left your radiator cap off, but not at 12-13 psi above atmospheric pressure.
    Oops right again Peter. I forgot about the pressure in the system raising the boiling point.
    Will sleep well tonight knowing I don't have to do a changeover of fluid.
    Accidently left the cap off the overflow bottle the other day on the Red Si which usually sits higher on the guage than the silver Si.
    There was definately the sound of boiling and liquid flowing out the bottle when I stopped.
    Could have been localised hotspots as somebody mentioned.

Coolant level sensor and warning light seem to live a life of their own despite the sensor having been cleaned.
    Why didn't Peugeot centre the access hole over the sensor? Have had to cut the panel on both cars to gain access

Replacement engine should be arriving soon, be interesting to see what difference a fresh engine with an extra 300cc makes.The engine in the car at present has 240k on it but goes very well despite consuming quite a bit of oil.
    Valve seals I suspect. Bought a new compression tester recently but haven't had time to put it into action.

Whats with the change of avatar?
    Back of head of some significance?

Paul

“A straight is merely the distance between two corners.”

Current: Peugeot 205 GTi Mi16 1987
    Peugeot 205 Si, one red one silver, both 1991.
    Peugeot 504 Wagon, V6 and 5 speed gearbox.
    Isuzu (Holden) Rodeo, 4WD dual cab, extended chassis.
    Past: Goliath, Isuzu Bellett, Austin A30, Peugeot 203, 403, 404, 504,505.

That is what I thought. I tried my spare parts car VIN (Si from 92) and still no luck, plus I don't know what the differences are (and as it happens there's many).

Thread Information