504 negative camber
  • Register
  • Help

Default 504 negative camber

I know there's bucketloads of stuff here 'somewhere' on this subject, but could someone indulge me by once again recounting what I need to do to get some negative camber on my 504 WITHOUT changing the struts. Apparently not all later model (505, 604) longer lower control arms have the same ball joint arrangements, so I have to get the right model. Correct?

Many thanks for you indulgence. And if anyone has the parts I need, please let me know.

Cheers
    Al

Advertisement

Basically if you don't want to change the struts, you'll install 505 LCA & caster bars
    This is a great post by Peujohn explaining all 3 methods to get negative camber.

Quote Originally Posted by peujohn View Post
    My 504 currently has a set of 604 lower control arms (LCAs) and caster bars fitted to the front end. The 604 LCAs are 22mm longer than the standard 504 items. Early 505 LCAs are the same as 604s. Fitting these longer arms will move the bottom of the strut further out, giving the front end 1.5 degree of negative camber. Standard, 504s have 0.5 degrees of positive camber which certainly seems like a recipe for understeer.

Fitting the longer LCAs make a wonderful improvement to the steering and turn-in. I would rate this as the greatest single improvement you can make to a 504. It's very beneficial in everyday driving as well as when pushing hard on your favourite road. The turn-in when going through a round-a-bout or similar is so far improved it's amazing. Your 504 will just turn with no scrubbing, understeering feeling.

It's also possible to fit struts and LCAs from a 505 SR or early STI to your 504. These struts use a different, improved type of ball joint which everyone says are much better than the standard 504 ball joints. This will give the same result in terms of negative camber.

The third and best way to get that 1.5 degrees of negative camber is as I mentioned above, to fit 1983 or later 504 LCAs along with 505 GTI negative camber struts. These late model 504 LCAs are the same length as earlier model 504 LCAs, but have the later type of ball joint, so they can be used with the later 505 struts. Struts from a 505 GTI have the stub axle attached at an angle, giving 1.5 degrees negative camber. So using this combination of parts, it's possible to get that much-desired negative camber on your 504 without increasing the track width. This would be beneficial if, for example, you were using alloy wheels with a greater offset than the standard wheels.

The only trouble here is that this type of LCA is like rocking horse manure in Australia. The last 504 wagons sold here in 1983 should have them, otherwise they'll have to come from overseas. Any 504 built from 1983 or possibly 1982 onwards should use these LCAs, including the utes. At the moment I have feelers out to several countries trying to track down a pair of these for use on my car. For the record, they measure 288mm centre to centre. 505 LCAs of the same design are 22mm longer at 310mm centre to centre. Thanks to Bob D for those measurements! If anyone has a pic of the two different types of LCAs it would be good to post it.

Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

Fellow Frogger!

One of the other threads was saying that early 505s handle better than late ones and in fact one of the turbo specials had early 505 front suspension retro fitted. Surely that would not give the negative camber on a 505 (or 604) that you could achieve with later model suspension with 505 GTI struts?

Default 504 Negative camber

Many thanks for that post, Chadi. I remember it now.

Last year, I bought a set of later model 505 struts, hubs and brake lines last year, plus a matching steering rack, but have just had a Terratrip probe fitted to the existing left hand 504 strut, requiring some fabrication that I don't want to have to pay for a second time. Consequently, I want to take the path of least resistance by changing the LCAs and caster bars ONLY, rather than the whole deal.

I'll go to the 'parts wanted' forum as well, but while I'm here, if anyone has available a set of the required LCAs and caster bars, please let me know.

Cheers
    Al

Fellow Frogger!

also my 505 Haynes manual states that the estate (wagon) has 1/2" wider track than the saloon (sedan). Anyone know which parts are different?

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Might be that they use wider wheels? Not sure. Is track measured at the centre or outside of the wheels? I doubt any of the suspension components are different.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Thread Information