I bought an '04- 307 touring wgn - advice please!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default I bought an '04- 307 touring wgn - advice please!

Hi Fellow Peugeot owners
    I bought a 2004 2L touring wagon, manual, petrol, 109000k's. Don't know anything else, have no handbook.

I would like advice re:
    -Parts: I have heard they can be expensive... Are generic australian parts ok to use?
    -(I noticed there is a list of wreckers in a thread, great.... this looks useful)
    - Any expected or recurring issues to be aware of with the model.

Advertisement

Any advice welcomed

warm regards.

Tadpole

Many 307s had various issues early on. The indicator stalk was one of the worst things. Hopefully this and any other problems have been fixed long ago under warranty on your car. My 6 year old 307 had a few things fixed when new but has been quite reliable over the last few years. Front disc rotors don't last that long (by "old Peugeot" standards at least) and probably yours have been replaced (I would expect by the kms that yours has done). Also check the spare wheel winch mechanism - these are problematic on 307 wagons.

Check the cambelt replacement interval for the 2 litre motor and make sure that this has been or is done at the required distance.

Some generic parts are fine (they won't be Australian, but will be imported outside of the Peugeot spares network). A good Peugeot mechanic will know which parts are OK and the cases where you should use the genuine article. You don't always get a choice.

Search the internet for an Owners Handbook, you'll find it easily to download. You can also purchase a Haynes Manual for the 307. I ordered mine direct online from Haynes UK, didn't take long in the post.

Good luck - I've enjoyed driving my 307 and trust you will enjoy yours. There is plenty of advice around, here and elsewhere.

Mark

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by loudfrog View Post
    Hi Fellow Peugeot owners
    I bought a 2004 2L touring wagon, manual, petrol, 109000k's. Don't know anything else, have no handbook.
    I would like advice re:
    -Parts: I have heard they can be expensive... Are generic australian parts ok to use?
    -(I noticed there is a list of wreckers in a thread, great.... this looks useful)
    Any advice welcomed
    warm regards.

G'day loudfrog,
    welcome to Aussiefrogs. In these pages you will find the answer to every query you may or may not think of.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Quote Originally Posted by loudfrog View Post
    Hi Fellow Peugeot owners

I would like advice re:

Any advice welcomed

warm regards.
    Welcome!

Low km by the standards of these cars' potential longevity. I can't add to the sensible comments already made except to reinforce advice given on cambelt replacement (this is not a "Peugeot" issue but a modern car issue!) and to suggest strongly that you attend immediately to coolant after checking the service history. Again not a specific "Peugeot" issue, but if the heater radiator leaks it is a hell of a job (work Commodores have failed here at great expense!).

If it is an auto, there are threads on these pages about various matters. Don't panic but you might consider fluid changes and making VERY sure the right stuff has been used in the event that it has been serviced at all.

Nice car, the 307. Enjoy.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Parts can be expensive... well, that goes for any non locally produced car these days. Really not much worse than anything else.
    There are a few well known issues that can occur but you will find them all discussed somewhere on this forum and there are relatively straight forward solutions to them. Nothing to be concerned about.
    I treat mine as if its quite fragile and the only problem I have had was the old brake switch cable loom one.
    Just remember its not a Toyota and so therefore cannot be abused and expected to give trouble free operation.
    I would rather drive my 307 than my company Aurion and the 307 is considered far from Peugeots best effort.

2011 Peugeot 207 HDi Touring Outdoor

2004 Peugeot 206 XT 1.6 Manual.

Past: 1953 Thames 100E van, 1966 Austin 1800, 1972 XA Falcon V8, 1973 Peugeot 504,
    1984 Mitsubishi Colt, Holden HX Kingswood, 1983 Toyota Corolla XX, 1988 Toyota Corolla 4WD, 2007 Peugeot 307XSE. + various company Falcauriodores.

Next: 2007 Peugeot 407HDi Coupe

Tadpole

Thanks for the welcomes.
    It is was really nice to get all that advice, which I have taken on board. I am booking in for timing belt this week as it hasn't been done, and have found a handbook online at 307handbook.110mb.com/site_map.php
    I located some service of it's record by phonong the mechanic whos sticker was on the window, to find that the front discs and indicator stalk had been replaced. Beauty!

cheers again.

try this link to view the manual online http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com...ndex_en_us.htm also you can go to the peugeot service box and register as an independat repairer at http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com...in_hors_eu.jsp this way you can put in your car details and find out lots of info about its build status

hope it helps and welcome to the world of Peugeot ... do not forget the Peugeot wave to fellow pugulists

cheers
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Thread Information