306 clutch cable
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 306 clutch cable

Hi fellow Puggers.
    My wife was comin home from work this morning and the clutch cable broke on ours/her beloved 306XSi! So I hopped on the R series BMW (BatMan'sWheels) and drove us home in 2nd gear. I used to be able to drive older Renos, Pugs and VWs without the use of clutch - smoothly. This car won't let me take it out of gear - I don't wannna force it in case it breaks.

How easy is it to get at the cable. I like to know a bit of info b4 I get the bonnet/hood up. Tools, how to hold ya tongue. Is EAI or Dapco the dudierres to get stuff from. I've forgotten such is the reliability of this car - 306s best fwd Pugs have made.
    Ta, Keith

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Keith,

kiwia110's son here, I had my 306xsi clutch cable go last year around this time also. There are two different types of clutch cable in these, the auto adjusting one and a manually adjustable one. They are very much similar to replace and they are easy to tell apart. The manually adjustable one has a simple thread type arangement whereas the other can't really be modified in any way. From what I can tell most of them break the plastic bit at the clutch pedal end when they go.

When I replaced mine I detached the cable, or what was left of it, from the pedal end. I then tied a bit of rope to that end. From there it is generally easier to have a second person to hold the bit of rope as you pull the cable out. I then went to the gearbox end and was able to remove the cable from its place at the gearbox. Pull the cable through from the gearbox end making sure that the person at the rope end doesn't lose it through the hole in the firewall. I then replaced the old cable with the new cable with it tied onto the rope and have the person inside the car pull it back through the same path ensuring the it doesn't snag on anything as it goes through. Attach the gearbox end first and then fit the plastic loop end over the clutch pedal. There is usually a little bit of slack so that it isn't to tough to do. You can do this with one person, but it seems to be a bit harder to achieve.

As for your gearbox issue, I haven't come across it before, other than rocking the car back and forward it little to pull it free.

Hope that is of some use to you.

Sean

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Sean.
    There is no gearbox issue. I was just saying that in older Pugs/Renos you could change gears without the clutch. This modern gearbox will not let you shift the gear stick. It feels like u would break it. I prob made it sound like I took her home on the BMW in 2nd gear. I took her home in the car; just can't do the clutchless gear change in modern Pugs. My 89 505GTI wagon let me do it.

Thanks for you advice on the clutch cable. Sounds like a half hour job if all goes well.
    Keith
    Last edited by leothepug; 15th January 2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: frogotten info

Thread Information