Review Pug 307 2005 XS HDi 1.6 Touring
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon5 Review Pug 307 2005 XS HDi 1.6 Touring

Hi all,

Advertisement

I'm looking at buying a Peugeot 307 XS HDi 1.6 Touring 2005. I currently own a 405 srdt wagon which is a great car. I've thought about upgrading to a 406 wagon, but have also wondered about the 307 (couldn't afford a 407!).

I don't know much about the 307 and want to know the good, the bad and the ugly.

So, what are they like?
    Is there any problems I should look for?
    What is the economy like?
    Reliability?
    Any other comments?

Thanks in anticipation.
    Cheers
    Jon

Tadpole

Default 1.6 HDi

I've got one. Lovely car to drive and pulls like the proverbial 16yr old boy.
    VERY good on fuel, best I have had is 4.1lt/100km, that's on two trips to the coast and back from the Darling Downs.
    I get scared off a little when I read of the problems that people have had, but still like the car to drive.
    Only problem so far was a faulty brake light switch (read the posts by others here, may have been fixable myself) and a dirty fuel filter, even though I am very fussy where I fill up.

Enjoy!

Wug

If your budget can stretch a little, get one built in late 2006. There was a model update around August 2006. We missed out by the proverbial bees something or other when we got our 307.
    Got the upgraded chrome lining on the grille and fog lamps, but missed out on the MP3 capable radio.

Tadpole

We've got a 2007 1.6 HDI manual hatch. It's been a wonderful car, and is very reliable and economical, as wll as being a hoot to drive.

My advice is to stay well clear of automatics, as from everything that I've read these can be a real nightmare if anything goes wrong.

Also a good idea to do your filter replacement yourself. Getting to the air cleaner on the 1.6 is pretty involved (you have to remove the wipers to get access), so in our experience the dealer never actually replaced it.

grx
    Tadpole

Greeting from Romania!
    I watched your forum for a year, but just yesterday I registered my account.

To replace your air filter and the cabin filter (pollen filter) you can watch a short film at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dcpwJWBTZg , without removing the wipers. Maybe it will help you. Unfortunately, the tutorial is in Romanian language.

Cheers,
    Cristian

PS: Please don't consider it as an advertising. Here, in Romania, sometimes, we have problems with the dealers (how they works, labor and spare parts prices)

Quote Originally Posted by grx View Post
    PS: Please don't consider it as an advertising. Here, in Romania, sometimes, we have problems with the dealers (how they works, labor and spare parts prices)
    And we thought Australian dealers were unique .

Welcome grx, hope your stay is long and happy.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

grx
    Tadpole

hmm... i thought that your dealers are more professional like ours
    Current:
    Peugeot 307HDI/110hp/hatch

Past:
    Opel Record 1700 Olympia, 4doors, '62
    Oltcit Club 11R TA, '89 (Citroen Axel 11)

Default Wehave one too.

2007 HDi 2.0lt. Wagon. manual. Agree with everything mentioned. The only issues we have is there is no dealer in our area. Have just had a towbar arrive, which will be fitted soon. It was a little hard to track down at a reasonable price. The steering wheel covers crinkles up if in the sun to long. Replaced with a leather sew on kit from England. The best fuel consumption was 4.3 lt/100km. 1170 km to red warning light. Do my own servicing now it is out of warranty. Done 118,000. Turning circle a bit large. Have heard the hatch is better. Plenty of parts available and they are being wrecked now. Any specific questions, please contact me.

Fellow Frogger!

Default 2006 307 HDI Touring Auto, steering wheel & Tow Bar

Hi Lockwood116.

I to have a similar vehicle as you, I rarely drive it as it is my wifes car. Its great to drive, looks good, has nice appointments and feel about it - while everything is operating correctly. However I am very concerned about some of the horror stories relating to electrical faults that will be very expensive to resolve. I'm just waiting for when the Auto trans, etc starts to play up, or some other component that I won't be able to fix myself. I believe that the 307 is one of the least reliable models and think prospective purchasers should consider a 406, not as sexy but goes forever. Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it! My friend has a 407 HDI touring as his second car and with over 250,000 kms it have proven to be very reliable indeed, with no problems.

Towbar.
    I have four cars but only have one car with a towbar; a Toyota Avalon which my daughter now drives in Melbourne - (its free so she doesn't care how it looks!). She is rarely home and often it's hard to arrange car swap for towing etc. I was thinking of putting a towbar on the 307; I tow a Jayco Swan, 1200kg and 100kg towbar load. Any thoughts ? Interested in how much you paid for your towbar and the rating of same. A friend of mine has an identicle vehicle, but 6 speed manual, he tows a smaller, lighter camper van that I estimate weighs 800kg?? It tows his trailer very easily; and uses half the fuel my Avalon does!

Steering wheel.
    The outer (vinyl?) covering on my steering wheel is starting to "crinkle" as well; I am very sceptical about the quality of materials specified for Australian conditions. Car is garaged always and has done less than 80,000km. Anyway could you please advise the details of the repair that you did, supplier details, cost etc. Photo would be nice?

You can PM me if you prefer.

Thanks in advance for your response.
    Last edited by Whippet; 22nd January 2012 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whippet View Post
    I believe that the 307 is one of the least reliable models
    The earlier 307's gained this reputation. Unfortunately, people still apply it to the later models in the 307 range. Hence when I see people talk about getting a 307, I always recommend the later models.
    Our MY06 307 Touring has been nothing but reliable. A couple of small electrical gremlins which were fixed under warranty a few years ago, but since then, nothing has gone wrong. We're now the sunny side of 115,000kms and enjoying the trouble free motoring it's giving us.

Quote Originally Posted by Whippet View Post
    Towbar.
    I have four cars but only have one car with a towbar; a Toyota Avalon which my daughter now drives in Melbourne - (its free so she doesn't care how it looks!). She is rarely home and often it's hard to arrange car swap for towing etc. I was thinking of putting a towbar on the 307; I tow a Jayco Swan, 1200kg and 100kg towbar load. Any thoughts ? Interested in how much you paid for your towbar and the rating of same. A friend of mine has an identicle vehicle, but 6 speed manual, he tows a smaller, lighter camper van that I estimate weighs 800kg?? It tows his trailer very easily; and uses half the fuel my Avalon does!
    Hi Whippet,

I can't speak to the ease of installing the tow bar as we bought ours with one already installed, but they are a very capable tow car. We have a small (16ft) Ski boat that our 2.0 HDi Touring (also with the 6 speed manual) tows effortlessly, and I am very confident it would be heavier in both weights than the caravan specs you mentioned above.

The only thing that catches us (very rarely) is if we need to pull a load uphill on a loose surface (unfortunately this includes some boat ramps ). The characteristics of FWD with a load on the rear gives very little grip in those circumstances.

I must admit I was skeptical about SWMBO's choice of vehicle when she decided that a 307 Touring was what she wanted (all her own decision, though I must admit there may have been some general Peugeot-biased brain washing ) but it has proved to be an amazing vehicle. As I said, tows beautifully, but is also very comfy on the long haul, economical and easy to drive. Add to that the cavernous space you get when the seats are folded (very handy for us as we come to the 3rd house move within 14 months) and good reliability (as above, minor electrical and latch faults fixed under warranty) and it is a car I would be very reluctant to have to replace.

Thankfully after the recent hail damage the insurance company will be repairing it, so won't be an issue in the short term!

eatpeople04

Now showing in:
    "Betty" 1997 Black 306 GTi6
    "Shaggy" 2001 Green Subaru Outback

The Mrs. Has
    "Wags" 2006 Ash Grey 307 XSE Hdi Touring

And for floating...
    "Korka" 1978 Red/Blue Ramsay Lynx with 327ci Chevy

Previously:
    "Cliff the 505th" 1985 White 505 GTi
    "Clive the 505" 1983 Poo Gold? 505 STi RIP

Tadpole

Hi

I have a 2006 2.0 l 6spd manual touring diesel - from new. Just clocked 280,000. still original clutch. Brake pads & rotors changed once (@ 180,000), still plenty of meat on pads. Has been a great car. I average around 920 km to a tank, but I speed sometimes . Do my own servicing now (liking the Nulon oil) No major issues. Just some minor ones:

Snapped aux belt (just wear and tear)
    Brake switch issue (Fixed myself thanks to a fellow frogger on here)
    Drivers side window sometimes plays up

Drive to beach & snow lots. great in winter conditions. Best wet weather car I have driven. A pleasure to drive on the hwy, effortless.

Cheers
    Michael

Thread Information