140k in the 407 how are other owners doing?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 140k in the 407 how are other owners doing?

Default 140k in the 407 how are other owners doing?

Just hit 140,000kms in the 407. Still looks great, developing a few rattles but otherwise going well.

Niggles,

Creaking from the seat belt mount bolts. Fully upright =no squeaks. Move them a bit forward as you drive and they squeak.

Squeaking from the centre console if i lean on it.

Underbody creaking, to look at this when i get the time.

Got the car with 80k on it. Many kilometers to go.

Advertisement

How are other 407 owners traveling?

Shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

HI
    I have only done 90K in mine and its going well - latest problem is an intermittant hand brake warning message on start up but is gone really quickly.

I thoght I had some underbody creaks at about 60K and it turned out to be rear seat baclk latches not holding locking properly. there is a problem where the metal corner brace on the rear frame around the seat/boot wall is mising a couple of spot welds - not sure where I found that info though

Big problem with theunderbody plastics and plasic engine guard ... its a heap of crap I intend to get a metal one soon.

Rear blind gave up the ghost but I managed to remove it and repair it &200 + 4 weeks wait at least for a new one.

Apart from that its a great comfy economical car ... but I still prefer the 406SV
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Quote Originally Posted by Shobbz View Post
    Creaking from the seat belt mount bolts. Fully upright =no squeaks. Move them a bit forward as you drive and they squeak.
    Same thing in my Dad's 407 at around 110,000 kms.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

I have had the problem with the rear seats. Do you mean the latches where the seat cushion latches to the rear of the car? I have tape on mine which helps them to latch.

Looks like my battery is definitely on the way out. The car is hesitant to start and it also forgets settings such as aircon settings and current track list on the cd. When you turn the car on the display is in miles then resets to kms when the car starts.

Shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Hi yes I mean the rear seat latches - both were replaced under warranty --- twice ---- this is different from the spot weld issue I think I found it on a UK website
    Last edited by Meggsy; 28th January 2012 at 05:21 PM.
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800

Quote Originally Posted by Meggsy View Post
    Hi yes I mean the rear seat latches - both were replaced under warranty --- twice ---- this is different from the spot weld issue I think I found it on a UK website
    See the peugeotlogic website
    Under workshops for the article on the welds and creaks
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    And an Austin 1800

Meggsy I will look that up

Clutch throwout bearing went last Monday. Getting a new clutch kit and seals done on wed!!!

I think that I might have to stop riding the clutch so much.

I also have car ramps which should be low enough that I can get the car up and find the front end creaking!!! I think its dry ball joints or something to do with the aircon compressor mounting!!

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

What engine does your car have, Shobbz?

Is it a 2.2 petrol or something else?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Default Peugeot 407

I've had a 407srhdi manual, pretty much bog standard manual since new in 2007. I've done 121000 in it, its due for the belt, water pump and tensioners' service now.
    Not much has gone wrong; an intermittent cruise control, fixed with a new brake switch under warrantee, the rear seat latch which a few others have talked about...I haven't worried about it, not a biggy. It chews through front tyres, and hardly wears the rears, o much so that I gone through 2 sets of fronts, while the rears (original pilots) are still OK, but are very noisy. I'm looking for some new tyres all around for it. I like the premacys but they're pricey, and I have heard that yokohama C drives are good. Any comments or ideas?
    Overall great car, especially for longish trips between Perth and Bunbury.
    Andrew

I have put some RE202's on mine recently and find them quiet and good on the road as for wear I hope they do better than the 29K Turansas
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    And an Austin 1800

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    What engine does your car have, Shobbz?

Is it a 2.2 petrol or something else?
    Slc206 I must have missed your post sorry. I have the petrol 2.2.

I now have constant abs warning. Not sure if it's a sensor or the brake switch. Cruise cuts out intermittently and the abs now is on after the startup check.

Previously the abs lift problem was fixed by the new pads and discs. If it did play up giving the front calipers a blast with the gernie seemed to fix it fir a few weeks.

Does anyone have a lexia or similar that I can borrow to see what is creating the abs error?

Shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Hi Shobbz,
    What brand are the low ramps you bought and where did you buy them?

I bought the ramps at Supercheap. Then I bought the extensions to place on the front of the ramps to reduce the angle, also from Supercheap.
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Fellow Frogger!

A friend just traded his 407 auto with 190000+ on it about 6 weeks ago - it had no major problems or issues but I gather that niggles were happening. Neil

Fellow Frogger!

Our 407 is a 2005 V6 petrol and has just had its 140K service. At the 120K service we found the reason for the smell of burning oil. There was oil leaking from the (rear) cam covers (I don't now what you call them) which leaked onto the crankshaft seal so it had to be replaced and while it was apart we replaced belts, harmonic balancer, resealed all the rocker covers and did the back plugs and coils so we know if one plays up it will be a front one and they are easier to get at if needs be.
    The only on-going saga is the front passenger seat sort of "rattles" if no one is sitting on it. It doesn't appear to be loose just annying when I am on my own.
    Got just over 60K out of the last set Michelin Energy tyres so fitted them again. They seem to suit the car and the way I drive.
    FLASH

Tadpole

Just had my 160,000 service done on my 407 HDI. Car is 4 years old, has had several issues that's cost me money. 1) oil cooler leak 2) alternator replacement.
    my car currently has a major water leak and haven't been able to locate fault. Any suggestions? Engine bay very steamy

I am in the 170,000 stretch now.

I just had my first breakdown A coil pack So out with the old and in with a second hand one. Here's hoping to a many more years of trouble free motoring.

I also tracked down (finger crossed) the horrible metal on metal creaking on the front end. A small rock had got caught between the the chassis rail and the front crumple zone support (not sure of the terms)?? It was quite loud and really quite embarrassing!!!!. I still need to replace the front ball joints but that requires a lot more motivation and time than i have atm.

Cambelt changed at 160k as well as the waterpump. The brake fluid and coolant are the next to get changed? Anyone got any tips re changing fluids?

Are everyone else's 407's still going strong.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

My 407 is still going great. Has now covered almost 17000km.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

My 2005 HDi manual has just passed 160K. Only had it 6 months and have done 20,000km. Love it's smooth effortless cruise, great economy and "get up and go" when needed. Not to mention the purity of its style which has been sadly adulterated in other and later Pug models.
    My problem is that the clutch is starting to slip. Have discussed with my Peugeot trained mechanic who says there are special tools needed to adjust/align clutch. After reading the Haynes description I suspect that these are for the Self Adjusting feature. So
    1. do I have a self adjusting clutch?
    2. will the replacement be self adjusting?
    3. What chance of getting away with not replacing the DMF? it still works fine, no rattles etc. I know it cannot be machined.
    4. any preferences for brand of replacements.? I have seen Valeo and Exidy on ebay.
    5. any suggestions where to get the best deal since it seems likely that I will have to replace the DMF?

I have been quoted 10-12 hours to replace it by the above mentioned mechanic who I trust - about $1000 labour. So looking at around $2000 for the whole job. Is this about right?

Any other advice about doing the clutch or getting it done?

Trevor

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Lets see .... we got the one here at 42,000kms...

Things I noticed:
    --when cold there's a small rattle in the dash above the display somewhere... goes away when the inside of hte car warms slightly
    --The power steering pump can vibrate through the steering rarely.... always done it, always will .... never gets any better/worse
    --The suspension is shit ... rough as guts and way to low... I imagine it always will be and can only get worse
    --The display stops working if you park the car in the sun on HOT days (it suicides in the heat)
    --There's no frail plastic shit left under it's nose to smash.... it's all long since smashed up and gone
    --The dual mass flywheel started rattling like buggery at about 60,000kms.... I managed ot pretend I couldn't hear it until 67,000kms ... when my wife started asking what the rattling was.... So I went searching and found the noise went away when I depressed the clutch.
    --I ordered in a new clutch kit... and the rattle fixed itself by the time I got around to fixing it .... So the clutch kit still sits on a shelf in the shed.
    --The clutch pedal I have noticed isn't biting to right at the top of it's travel now.... I'm not saying anything to SWMBO ... she'll start stressing about it breaking otherwise. I'm hoping if I ignore this long enough it'll fix itself too. the cars done about 82,000kms now.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Lets see .... we got the one here at 42,000kms...

Things I noticed:
    --when cold there's a small rattle in the dash above the display somewhere... goes away when the inside of hte car warms slightly
    --The power steering pump can vibrate through the steering rarely.... always done it, always will .... never gets any better/worse
    --The suspension is shit ... rough as guts and way to low... I imagine it always will be and can only get worse
    --The display stops working if you park the car in the sun on HOT days (it suicides in the heat)
    --There's no frail plastic shit left under it's nose to smash.... it's all long since smashed up and gone
    --The dual mass flywheel started rattling like buggery at about 60,000kms.... I managed ot pretend I couldn't hear it until 67,000kms ... when my wife started asking what the rattling was.... So I went searching and found the noise went away when I depressed the clutch.
    --I ordered in a new clutch kit... and the rattle fixed itself by the time I got around to fixing it .... So the clutch kit still sits on a shelf in the shed.
    --The clutch pedal I have noticed isn't biting to right at the top of it's travel now.... I'm not saying anything to SWMBO ... she'll start stressing about it breaking otherwise. I'm hoping if I ignore this long enough it'll fix itself too. the cars done about 82,000kms now.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I know how to solve the problem Shane. Buy a certain 406SV. She would enjoy driving again and you would have safe comfortable reliable tow car
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    I know how to solve the problem Shane. Buy a certain 406SV. She would enjoy driving again and you would have safe comfortable reliable tow car
    It's a crying shame they didn't sell the Xantia with the V6 manual option out here Now THAT would be a car to own. Make mine an Activa please

Why don't citroen import cars with a proper manual gearbox. bullshit no-one wants them... look how many people buy poogoes 'cos it's the only way to get a car with a proper gearbox in it!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

The distributor's office staff are all looking at your posts on here about the lack of manual gearboxes, and laughing. It's the only joy they get as Citroen importers.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    It's a crying shame they didn't sell the Xantia with the V6 manual option out here Now THAT would be a car to own. Make mine an Activa please

Why don't citroen import cars with a proper manual gearbox. bullshit no-one wants them... look how many people buy poogoes 'cos it's the only way to get a car with a proper gearbox in it!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Well, our 306 is closer to 190,000 with no issues or rattles. Yes, manual. I'd have thought 140,000 km might be a about "half used" in a car life sense, and I'd expect anything I owned at that mileage to be pretty close to new in behaviour. NaÔve perhaps.....

I've ridden in a few 407 and 408 (or is it 508?) series cars and have to agree with Shane. Rough barely describes the suspension. Something went wrong after the "..06" series cars it seems to me. Maybe that explains odd rattles etc?

Anyway, mustn't derail the thread further...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

208,000km and I got my first stone chip

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information