peugeot 306 head problem
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default peugeot 306 head problem

hi guys my 306 xr has a blown head gasket and 'maybe warped head' ( ive been told)
    the previous owner had driven it with a hole in the radiator and she over heated and blew. ( also need a new radiator) but ive been quoted 1500-2000 at a couple of places and just for the head gasket change and thats with no garantee that head isnt cooked. is this a fair price? because ive looked around and a full gasket kit for the 1.8 is only 150 bucks or so.

suggestions?

cheers from a fellow frogger in need!

Advertisement

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 205lover<3 View Post
    hi guys my 306 xr has a blown head gasket and 'maybe warped head' ( ive been told)
    the previous owner had driven it with a hole in the radiator and she over heated and blew. ( also need a new radiator) but ive been quoted 1500-2000 at a couple of places and just for the head gasket change and thats with no garantee that head isnt cooked. is this a fair price? because ive looked around and a full gasket kit for the 1.8 is only 150 bucks or so.

suggestions?

cheers from a fellow frogger in need!
    did you get a quote to get the head machined/straightened ?

you may need a new/2nd hand head
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Not many 306 XR's are even worth $2000. Be realistic about the value of the car and what it will cost to fix. It may be cheaper just to buy another one! Having said that, also consider just dropping a second hand engine in. They're cheap as chips as well.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Not many 306 XR's are even worth $2000. Be realistic about the value of the car and what it will cost to fix. It may be cheaper just to buy another one! Having said that, also consider just dropping a second hand engine in. They're cheap as chips as well.
    Its not what the cars worth thats in question but what is it worth to the owner that is the issue.
    Plenty of people spend the value or more fixing there cars because sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know.

You can spend 5k, 10k whatever on a another car and still have trouble so fixing what you have is sometimes a better option.
    We have good engines in stock, one has just had a couple of grand worth of rebuild done only just before the car got written off so that engine might get you out of trouble.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Its not what the cars worth thats in question but what is it worth to the owner that is the issue.
    I don't know who are you referring to

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

Fellow Frogger!

so is that the useual price for a head gasket change or would it be cheaper to get a new engine FITTED. thats not including a head re-alignment by the way.

if a new engine is the go how much would a gti-6 or V6 go for?

cheers

if a new engine is the go how much would a gti-6 or V6 go for?

Your kidding right?

Use the KISS pricipal. Keep It Standard Stupid.

If you want a GTI6 powered 306 I suggest you buy one. If you want a V6 powered 306 then first seek mental help and then build your own.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Fellow Frogger!

ok that makes sence ahahah, how much would a 1.8 i motor go for then?

cheers

ok that makes sence ahahah, how much would a 1.8 i motor go for then?

cheers
    This particular motor Thats had all the money spent on it we want $880 for. It has receipts for over $2k just before it before it got written off. The head is still clean. Freight to ACT probably $100.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Fellow Frogger!

thanks david i will keep that in mind, i have bought some products to help me along.

1. chemi-weld
    2. a copper liquid sealant for the radiator
    3. some oil flush just in case.

but the car is still smoking, not big clouds like before but still a little bit.
    one of the products says to leave the car idling for 15 mins with the radiator filler cap off. and after a while it starts too over flow. then the thermo fans come on and imediately the the over flow stops and sucks the water in, and im not sure where it goes because i am then able to put another 7 liters of coolant/ water in with not fuss. its not going in the exhaust and not going in the oil either.

i have a feeling the thermostat?

Fellow Frogger!

can a car run with no thermostat ????

Yes...no problem. For a few months is fine, as it is Summer now.

Fellow Frogger!

so it will just take longer to warm up in winter?

cheers

thanks david i will keep that in mind, i have bought some products to help me along.

1. chemi-weld

but the car is still smoking, not big clouds like before but still a little bit.
    one of the products says to leave the car idling for 15 mins with the radiator filler cap off. and after a while it starts too over flow. then the thermo fans come on and imediately the the over flow stops and sucks the water in, and im not sure where it goes because i am then able to put another 7 liters of coolant/ water in with not fuss. its not going in the exhaust and not going in the oil either.

I suspect it will be better long term to get David's engine as offered........ "Products" are "products", and they are patching up fundamental damage/wear problems.

Best of luck.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Some comments from an experienced head gasket sufferer.

1. You are running on borrowed time. This car will come to grief shortly. The chemiweld etc, does not cure a major problem and it sounds like you have a major problem.
    2. $1800 for a head gasket replacement (have to be careful saying head job) is normal. Yes you could do it yourself with a knowledgeable mate for only $350 worth of gaskets and bolts (also new water pump, tensioners and timing belt while youa re at it), but it takes a fair time and is fiddly and possible to make an expensive mistake. You might find a backyard mechanic who will do it for less, but then you risk them stuffing up the timing or something...
    3. A straight engine swap or a car replacement is the easiest and most reliable thing. It will take about 10 hrs to take your engine out and put David's one is and his price is very fair. If you buy one in another vehicle, then add another 5 hrs to get that one out first.

Head gaskets are disappointing things to happen, but have no quick cure.

Cheers, Erik

Fellow Frogger!

thanks guys will check again with some mechanics. if that doesent work out a new engine seems the go.

cheers and thanks for all the help

1. chemi-weld

Sounds like you have a blown gasket big enough to drive a truck through. Take the thermostat out, it might be stuck shut and that could have caused the blow.
    Put the thermostat in a saucepan full of water and boil it, as the temp rises it will slowly open until the water is boiling it will be fully open. It its not then thats the cause of your problem.

Don't put it back in but try again with the sealant products but it might to to far gone.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Tadpole

Since buying a 206 GTi, I have a 306XR to sell. Complete Car. Make an Offer.

Thread Information