GTi 180 - folding rear seats
  • Register
  • Help
    abe

Default GTi 180 - folding rear seats

So I tried to fit some large boxes in the back of the 180 for the first time on the weekend...

I'd previously assumed that the 60/40 back seats would fold flat (having noticed how the seat bases can fold forward) as in the case of most hatches these days. But I spent ages fumbling around and couldn't figure out to do it without moving the front seats all the way forward, so that it becomes impossible to fit regular sized humans in them.

Advertisement

This may be ok if the 40% section was behind the passenger, so you could slide the front passenger seat all the way forward and still have at least some useful flat space. But the 60% section is there, and can't fold forward all the way because it hits the edge of the drivers seat.

Is this a problem peculiar to the 180, due to the thick bolstering on the back buckets?

Or am I just a noob who can't figure out how to do it properly?

Abe

Hey Abe. I am pretty sure that is as good as the seats get for folding. Hopefully the other 206's do this better. The gti180 seats are pretty big so I guess its that. Or maybe I am doing it wrong too.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by abe View Post
    So I tried to fit some large boxes in the back of the 180 for the first time on the weekend...

Or am I just a noob who can't figure out how to do it properly?
    Quote Originally Posted by abe View Post

Abe

G'day,
    I am so tempted, however. No, they wont fold completely flat, you can take out the little side pockets,and the head rests, that helps a little.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

abe

Thanks for the replies folks

It's a shame, the front seats are the best I've ever had but I'd easily forgo deep sculpted buckets in the back for some more usable load space, it's not like I'm ever cornering hard with 4 people in the car!

Well, I will not count on the 180 to be of any use moving house next week then...

In the 407 I can take the seat cushions out of the rear. Then I can fold the rear seats flat if I take the head rests out. Can you do this on the 180?

I agree about the 40/60 split. It seems that this has been retained in left hand drive configuration.

I got a few looks today transporting 2.7m long vj wall planks lying all the way through to the dash.

Shobbz
    Last edited by Shobbz; 12th January 2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

abe

Great idea Shobbz!

Not something I'd want to be doing all the time but could be just the trick for the move next week.

I'll definitely check to see if they come out easily, cheers.

Abe

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Shobbz View Post
    In the 407 I can take the seat cushions out of the rear. Then I can fold the rear seats flat if I take the head rests out. Can you do this on the 180?
    G'day,
    taking the seats out doesn't make any difference.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Tadpole

Not sure if you have moved the base of the rear seat out yet. If you grab the rear seat base under the front of the seat and lift it up and toward the front of the car you will see how it moves out of the way for the seat to fold down nearly flat. This base can also easily be completely removed by flexing the metal rods with your hands to release them.
    To remove the hole back seat back rest there is about 5 bolts bout a 10 minute job.

Icon6

G'day,
    yep, took out the seat base, but not the back rest. Warning, under the right [drivers] side rear seat is a round plastic lid that may hide some little red back nasties! Take care.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

abe

Well, I can confirm it definitely helps to take out the plastic side pockets (thanks pug206gti) and completely remove the seat bases (thanks shobbz & barney).

I think I have them as flat as they're going to go now, it's much better than I had previously with just the bases tilted.

I still have about a 15 degree tilt but at least I can put some boxes on them now, and not have to drive with my knees around my ears clown-car style.

Thanks all

Thread Information