A 405 tale of woe..
  • Register
  • Help

Default A 405 tale of woe..

Hey gang,

Thought I'd share a bit of bad luck/ utter stupidity. So after a lovely day on Sunday bushwalking around Manly, thought I'd go for a bit of a swim at shelly beach. Long story short, one car key is now somewhere amongst the rocky bottom of that beach, and my car was towed home by the NRMA.

Advertisement

To make matters worse, the tow truck winch managed to tear off my front bumper, so now the poor thing is off to the panel beaters to be fixed.

Monsieur 405

Icon8

What is the saying... Shyt happens! I think we all loose our keys in silly ways. My wife keeps a copy of my car key, and I hers.. ..so we can rescue each other.

As for the tow truck.. Would not trust them. I hope they are paying for the repairs. I had a bad accident years ago and the tow truck driver or co-workers stole my car stereo. When I complained to the manager he said: "Sorry we take no responsibility for damage or loss from your vehicle. You agreed to this when you signed the tow contract." i replied that I signed no such thing as I was unconscious on my way to the hospital when you towed it away. He just shrugged and hit me with a bill for 'storage' on top of the tow fee. Given that it was in a junk yard for the months I was in hospital being picked over by his thieving employees.

I have never used a tow truck since. When I had an accident some years later, a tow truck arrived and I told him to bugger off. Organized some mates to hire a car trailer and we brought the car home ourselves.

Maybe in NSW the tow truck drivers are better, but if they casually rip off your bumper bar I'd doubt it.

Make em pay or we should have a Pug 405 rally in your area and pay them a visit... like the Commancheros might do..... Just an evil thought...but a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur 405 View Post
    Hey gang,

Thought I'd share a bit of bad luck/ utter stupidity. ......one car key is now somewhere amongst the rocky bottom of that beach,

To make matters worse, the tow truck winch managed to tear off my front bumper, so now the poor thing is off to the panel beaters to be fixed.

Monsieur 405
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

Bad luck man... And I agree to

Quote Originally Posted by paulrb View Post
    What is the saying... Shyt happens! I think we all loose our keys in silly ways.

My 505 has an alarm with auto-lock and presence detection. So, if the control (which is on the keys) is inside, at 5 or 7 seconds being swichted on, it locks the door with the central locking. When you switch off the engine, it unlocks the doors.

Well, at the first days, I opened the door, started the engine, closed the door...

AND IT LOCKED UP! Engine running!

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

So I called Trivett spares for a quote on a new blank key for my car, guess the price...

$200 for a blank 405 key.

Pretty funny really, when I just brought one off ebay for $3

Monsieur 405

UFO

Did you laugh and hang up?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Yeah kinda... I think he understood that the price was a farce... for a part used in an entire era of Peugeot as well as some Citroens.

Monsieur 405

I feel you I lost my 206 key at delwood beach on new years and no luck finding it. Was considering getting a remote engine start kit instead of forking out the big bucks at Peugeot. Luck has it the cop shop had them and I got them back last week. Plenty of snorkelers at Shelly perhaps you will share the same luck and they get handed in. Atleast your key does have a remote transponder in it, that really inflates the price.
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK
    1998 406 2.0L auto ST WHITE

[email][email protected][email]

Archer locksmiths in Chatswood cut blank Peugeot keys - which they have in stock!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Thread Information