Peugeot 307 Diesel Additive - Buy in Australia?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Peugeot 307 Diesel Additive - Buy in Australia?

Tadpole

Default Peugeot 307 Diesel Additive - Buy in Australia?

Hi guys,

New to the forum.

I've seen a couple of older threads talking about my current problem. Got a 2005 Peugeot 307 1.6HDI, had the 'Diesel Additive Minimum Level' warning come on about 2,000kms ago.

Too scared to call up my local Peugeot dealer after the pricing they gave me for my wheel bearings...clutch...spare wheel winch..etc (yeh, had a great 6 months with this car!)

Advertisement

Found an ebay uk guy selling the Eloys fluid for $58 per litre.

Anyone know of a good place in Australia to buy compatible Eolys fluid?

PS. Found a great step-by-step phone and blog site showing how to simply fill up the additive fluid resovoir. I know you need the computer counter reset by peugeot still, but oughta save a few bucks sourcing and filling the tank myself.

Cheers guys,

David.

Quote Originally Posted by dvd782 View Post
    PS. Found a great step-by-step phone and blog site showing how to simply fill up the additive fluid resovoir. I know you need the computer counter reset by peugeot still, but oughta save a few bucks sourcing and filling the tank myself.

Cheers guys,

David.
    Hi David,

Welcome to

If you've found a good site describing the process, you should share it
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

When I spoke to the mechanic about this, there is apparently two different types of containers. One is a bag system, the other is a plastic container.
    The plastic container can be refilled, the bag has to be replaced. Best to find out which one you have before buying stuff. It's located in the LHR wheel arch.

Tadpole

Default Link to filling diesel additive yourself.

Yeh, just found my bookmark for the step-by-step picture with description for filling up your 307 peugeot diesel additive

Peugeot 307 Diesel Additive Minimum Level

Seems straight forward. Just found a mechanic in Tweed Heads South, NSW who services european cars, 'Just European'. Getting a quote off him for this job, he also said he could reset my computer if I filled my additive myself.

Cheers.

Tadpole

Default Type of diesel additive container.

hi,

Yeh, my 2005 Peugeot 307 1.6HDI has the solid container.

My new mechanic in Tweed Heads South, NSW, 'Just European' also told me I should check my plastic additive tank first for any cracks. Apparently he's seen a couple show this same warning light when the tank has become brittle and leaked the fluid out.

Gotta check mine when it's back from another mechanic. Both front wheel bearings collapsed on me on the weekend. Freighted them over from UK for $174 delivered for the both of them, as opposed to the $320 quoted by my Jax Quickfit tyre guy doing the job, just happy he is going to use my parts and charge me up to $300 labour. Peugeot wanted $330 each bearing plus over $600 labour to change them = $1,300...does anyone actually go to the Peugeot Service centre and pay them these prices??

Fellow Frogger!

Apparently AddBlue is just Urea and blue colouring.... so in a pinch, yes you could just urinate in the tank.

Tadpole

Default Eolys from UK

Just had my UK supplier say they can't freight the fluid.

Anyone know of a compatible brand sold in Australia?

Cheers.

Well, you could always contact the manufacturer (I assume this to be JLM Lubricants) and ask them if there is an Australian Distributor that you can contact.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Diesel additive? Do all Peugeot diesels now have this? (i.e the direct injection models such as the 407)

What is it? Could you just supplement it for two-stroke oil? Two-stroke oil is a great lubricant
    Peugeot 504 Intercooled T04 Turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygous View Post
    Diesel additive? Do all Peugeot diesels now have this? (i.e the direct injection models such as the 407)

What is it? Could you just supplement it for two-stroke oil? Two-stroke oil is a great lubricant
    No, it's an additive used in the depollution system, FAP or particulate filter, to help burn off carbon deposits.

Quote Originally Posted by dvd782
    My new mechanic in Tweed Heads South, NSW, 'Just European' also told me I should check my plastic additive tank first for any cracks. Apparently he's seen a couple show this same warning light when the tank has become brittle and leaked the fluid out.
    Yeah, the mechanic here in Adelaide said the same thing due to it being located in the wheel well and the possibility of stones going through the plastic protector and damaging the plastic container it's in. Allegedly, the old 22L plastic water containers cut down to size make a good, cheap protective casing to prevent damage.

I'll remember that. Guessing the 407 has one too.
    Peugeot 504 Intercooled T04 Turbo.

Tadpole

The drama continues....

Peugeot south port,.qld have quoted me $900 for the fluid and 4hrs labour, $600 to fill it and reset the computer. They claim I have the bladder type additive, not the refillable tank.

Gave the same vin number to trivett peugeot in sydney, they claim I have the tank type, $600 for the fluid, $600 to fill it up and reset the computer.

Called up petet.warren peugeot in sydney, they had never heard of any additive, the service manger even said it didn't exist as a part....i emailed them the page from my service manual, sounds like they lost theirs....

Finally, getting a quote from lismore peugeot, nsw...the bloke there knew exactly what it was and is getting me a price in the morning.

The netherlands additive manufacture jlm has a dealer in nz who hasn't got back to me.

Bottom line, any peugeot diesel will.run out of this fluid at 150,000kms. Be prepared to give peugeot $1,500 for it cause theres not a lot of options.

1000+ Posts

Absurd design. Gives no benefit to the owner and should be taken off for the Australian market.

Tadpole

So, from what I've learnt...

Europe has tight emmission laws, so they added a filter in the exhaust. This filter (don't even ask how much to replace..) obviously gets clogged up with diesel soot and crap from the exhaust..so clever peugeot thought "lets add a ridiculously priced, specialized fluid to the fuel" that helps the engine run cleaner and the exhaust fumes run so hot that they burn the crap off the ridiculously priced filter. Apparently it works..for a price.
    If youve got a peugeot diesel with the re-fillable additive tank then get your mechanic to to it up every 50,000kms. Will spread the cost out over 3 services. If youve got the bladder type your screwed, costs 30% more at over $900 for the part and they still charge you the same labour.

There is also no way to leave this fluid out either. Because this fluid cleans the over priced filter in the exhaust if you don't have the fluid the filter becomes clogged and you start losing power, fuel economy and then more engine problems from it not exhausting properly. Been 3,000kms since my 'additive minimum level' light, started to notice it was a bit sluggish up hills after 1,500 kms. Only driving to the supermarket till i get it fixed.

Also, can someone tell me how both my front wheel bearings collapsed and seized at the same time after only doing 150,000kms? Not had my car all week while my bearings fly in from the uk so my mechanic can fix them for $550 instead of peugeots $1,200. Would I really put peugeot bearings in again at 3 times three price if they fail like that?

Sorry, in a 'i hate my peugeot I used to love' mood.

Default eloys fluid

does anyone know if eloys fluid and addblue are the same, for they seem to do the same job
    about all of the heavy trucks now run addblue, cheap to buy from a truck servo
    one of the new mercedes diesel cars sold here runs addblue
    also the bag system is a great scam instead of a refillable container, what a rip-off
    ps...tintin .the movie is worth seeing

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hall View Post
    Absurd design. Gives no benefit to the owner and should be taken off for the Australian market.
    Why?

The benefits to the owner are that in a well-maintained car, the DPF doesn't block up and reduce performance to non-acceptable levels. Previously, the DPF would have needed replacing at much lower km and at great expense.

A maintenance-free exhaust system for approx 160,000km is pretty good, for a modern diesel-engined machine. In terms of modern cars, it's probably designed to outlast the "useful" life of the vehicle.

In addition, not everyone wants to polute the environment, though lots of people do seem to enjoy doing so.

Of course, if the owner (and I'm certainly not referring to David) chooses to only drive very short trips and/or not maintain their car, they might suffer. The filter will probably block up more frequently and the fluid will therefore be used up much sooner. Pretty soon they will have a crap-performing car and a big repair bill.

Sadly, modern cars just aren't designed for longevity these days.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Default 307 diesel additive

When I had the C4 hdi I was quoted $3000.00 + for a exhaust fap filter, some exhaust mfg have been working on a replacement, for about half the price, however I haqve been told that fap filters can be washed clean with a pressure cleaning machine, as for the eloys fluid I would look at Ford service, Focus hdi use the psa diesel engines, same as Mazda and jag/ landrover, for the price of a phone call I would ask the question, as for wheel bearings do the same, its quite obvious that Cit & Pug make square bearings that no other brand make.
    Tony

1000+ Posts

What advantage does it give over a traditional diesel? Nothing for the owner, only additional cost. Bad engineering to meet Euro standards but a sting in the tail of a rip off for the owner. Cost of the bag to Peugeot would probably be around $1.
    How long will these cars stay on the road?
    This may sound harsh but it will effectively consign the cars to the wrecking yard before their time. When the car is newish and worth a bit, ok, but what about 300,000 k's when the car isn't worth much and possibly a new owner - what are its chances then? As to the price of things like the plastic bottle - they are ordered in such numbers they cost little to the makers. When you look at the internal transfer prices within the companies things don't cost much.
    Last edited by Russell Hall; 14th January 2012 at 09:57 AM.

Tadpole

Eolys and Addblue are totally different things.

Last time I looked at a Focus with a 2 litre Peugeot HDi motor, I noted that Ford didn't fit a particulate filter. Australian emission requirements are years behind Europe, Ford are only working towards Euro 4 now.

If you don't care about emissions and want the cheap option, get an exhaust place to cut out the particulate filter and weld a piece of pipe in its place.

Fellow Frogger!

1. Focus diesels do have a particulate filter. Only the very first Focus diesels didn't have one - I believe the LT didn't but the LV, LVMk2 and the new LW all do have a DPF.

2. You can't cut out the DPF as there are pressure sensors that will dob you in to the car's computers. I believe it can be done (it happens in the UK) but you have to set up false sensor info for the computer to keep it happy.

I'm not advocating that, I have a DPF in my car and want it to stay.

I think the real problem isn't the technology, it is the outrageous prices being charged for a refill. It will give a bad reputation to good technology (and good cars).

Tadpole

Icon5 Possible mod?

Morning Gents,
    More questions from a novice:
    1) I understand a little about the transportation of hazardous, dangerous, restricted and confidential items. If you canít post/ship it from England, then how does it get there from Peugeot?
    2) What is the additional cost involved in packaging, labelling and shipping the hazardous substance ?
    3) Can the pouch containing the fluid be replaced with the hard case container configuration on the vehicle, available on earlier models without major modifications to void having to deal with this issue again?
    4) If so, a wrecker should be able to plug remove and sell the part here in Aus, yes?

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by simca1100 View Post
    1. Focus diesels do have a particulate filter. Only the very first Focus diesels didn't have one - I believe the LT didn't but the LV, LVMk2 and the new LW all do have a DPF.

2. You can't cut out the DPF as there are pressure sensors that will dob you in to the car's computers. I believe it can be done (it happens in the UK) but you have to set up false sensor info for the computer to keep it happy.

I'm not advocating that, I have a DPF in my car and want it to stay.

I think the real problem isn't the technology, it is the outrageous prices being charged for a refill. It will give a bad reputation to good technology (and good cars).
    Thanks for the info, good to see that Ford are now fitting a filter. The last one I looked at was a few years old. This begs the question as to how Ford are going about the automatic soot burn off for the filter in the Focus diesel. If they're using Eolys fluid as well (and it seems logical that they might), then wouldn't the stuff be plentiful and hopefully cheaper via the Ford spare parts network?

I wouldn't remove the DPF from my car either but thought that I should point out the option. There are plenty of UK websites telling you how to do it.

Totally agree about the "outrageous prices" comment. Last time I heard of someone getting this done, I'm sure a figure around $300 was mentioned, and that was considered expensive at the time. Here I'm seeing figures 3 or 4 times that being quoted. My first reaction would be to phone a few other dealers for prices (or see if Peugeot mechanics outside the dealer network will do this). The actual "filling" process should only cost about half an hour's labour. As for the cost of the fluid itself, the obvious option is to obtain it outside of the Peugeot spares network if they are really charging that excessively.

Tadpole

Default Finally, peugeot dealer who knows...

So my 3rd Peugeot dealer I took my 307 into knew straight away which fluid my car had. Dealer is in Lismore, NSW. A bunch of really honest, genuine blokes.

Cost $293 for 3L of original eloys fluid. $80 labour for them to do it, $35 for them to plug in their computer to reset the counter.

Moral of the story... SHOP AROUND!!! I just saved $1,200 by going to a different Peugeot dealer for the same job.

Yet, my Peugeot still gives me grief. Even after telling my car that it has a new FAP filter and is full of additive Peugeot still can't clear the fault code...meaning my tank of new fluid isn't even being used yet till the code is cleared. 2.5hrs later, which they didn't charge me for, and they still couldn't clear the code. Peugeot Lismore is contacting Peugeot Australia Tech team or something because they are stumped as to how to clear the fault code.

Just a quick word on my wheel bearings too. JAX quickfit tyres replaced my bearings with the ones I bought over from UK. ABS sensor error still displayed. Peugeot said that JAX may have put the bearings in back the front so the sensor reading was on wrong side. Called up JAX, guy said "I've been doing this for 20 years and mate, your bearings are in the right way. Must be your cars computer with the ABS error." So I pull both my front wheels off myself and the JAX guy had installed the ABS sensors wrong, he had them sitting on the circ-clip that is at the back of the bearing. Fixed it myself in about 20mins, just moved the circ-clip round so it wasn't interferring with the ABS sensor. All good.

Waiting to hear about clearing my Diesel Additive fault code with Peugeot...

Tadpole

Very interesting thread, good on you for persistance!
    Please keep us informed.

Cheers,
    Wug

Quote Originally Posted by dvd782 View Post
    "I've been doing this for 20 years and mate, your bearings are in the right way. Must be your cars computer with the ABS error." So I pull both my front wheels off myself and the JAX guy had installed the ABS sensors wrong
    Please tell me you made another phone call?
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:
    "Betty" 1997 Black 306 GTi6
    "Shaggy" 2001 Green Subaru Outback

The Mrs. Has
    "Wags" 2006 Ash Grey 307 XSE Hdi Touring

And for floating...
    "Korka" 1978 Red/Blue Ramsay Lynx with 327ci Chevy

Previously:
    "Cliff the 505th" 1985 White 505 GTi
    "Clive the 505" 1983 Poo Gold? 505 STi RIP

Page 1 of 3 123 Last