Bogging gutter rash?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Bogging gutter rash?

Apparently there is no reason for it not to fix it but I'm wondering how it hold on the road and over time if anyone has under taken this? At the moment I have some serious gutter rash from a previous owner on both sides some how! Anyway I plan to bog it sand it to shape, Highfill it sand that and paint them a Matt black.

Advertisement
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK
    1998 406 2.0L auto ST WHITE

[email][email protected][email]

Quote Originally Posted by matt_molon View Post
    Apparently there is no reason for it not to fix it but I'm wondering how it hold on the road and over time if anyone has under taken this? At the moment I have some serious gutter rash from a previous owner on both sides some how! Anyway I plan to bog it sand it to shape, Highfill it sand that and paint them a Matt black.
    If you are going to paint them mat black, they will look so ratty and sh!thouse anyway, why bother??
    Just sand them out and paint over them.

Jo

I bought a alloy repair kit from the U.K. Rather cheap.
    Has been on my rims for a while now,and no problems at all.
    Maybe a different story when it comes to change the rubber.
    Great stuff that alloy filler. I even used it on a leaking oil feed
    pipe (temp fix) and stopped the leak brilliantly.
    If your painting your rims black,you won't even notice it.
    Get yourself many different fine grades of sandpaper.

Cheers
    Andrew

well jo i can't paint them silver because ill have to clear it and i just dont think that is going to look great at all. and the chrome imitation stuff looks tacky.
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK

well jo i can't paint them silver because ill have to clear it and i just dont think that is going to look great at all. and the chrome imitation stuff looks tacky.
    WHilst I agree the best colour to do in your backyard is matt black, I still think it looks crap.

Can you get a spray painting shop to re paint them silver or a metallic darker grey in two pack??
    Then it will look good and last a long time.
    Jo

i can paint it what ever i won't, 2k or 2pack or tupac which i shall from hence forth refer to as 2k can't be a metallic its solid colours only and base coat with out clear will come off if u rub it hard enough with water so I'm stuck really i would rather paint them matt black, I'm doing it all at the shop regardless I'm getting a panel beater to bog it I've never seen someone so meticulous in what they do. I've seen another local black 180 cruising round with black wheels it looks alright. i painted my fuel cap white the other day because the fuel and dirt on it make it impossible to clean and it looks great. perhaps ill photoshop play until i decide what looks best. i also have the advantage of at any stage spending an hour after work when i feel like it and changing the colour hahah so i don't need to stay awake at night pondering this I'm just more concerned about the bog, it damn tough but can be quite brittle.
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK

Default rims

hi just bog and paint them any colour you like just make sure you give them a god sand so it doesnt start to flake of and look really shit

I repaired some alloys with some 2 part epoxy putty, sanded, then painted with 2 pack with clear over the top. No issues with it in 3 years.
    Leon

1987 Peugeot 505 GTD
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi (wife's car)

Fellow Frogger!

Hey matt,

I had a quite a bit of gutter rash on my wheels but I took them to these guys (http://www.allmag.com.au/) and they did an awesome job. Not only did they repair the gutter rash and paint them to look better than the factory but they also re-trued the wheels because they got out of shape over the years on our crappy roads. I think I paid about $150 or so per wheel but I was well pleased with the result, they looked better than new and the guys at the tyre shop were really surprised at how balanced the wheels were.

I'll be definetly taking them there again if required.

Cheers
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

I think the main issue is getting rid of all the rust so it doesn't return. I myself use wire wheels.....

Fellow Frogger!

ummm, rust on alloy wheels? ^^^^^^ lol :L

cheers

And wire wheels that dont rust

Quote Originally Posted by bad_karma View Post
    Hey matt,

I had a quite a bit of gutter rash on my wheels but I took them to these guys (http://www.allmag.com.au/) and they did an awesome job. Not only did they repair the gutter rash and paint them to look better than the factory but they also re-trued the wheels because they got out of shape over the years on our crappy roads. I think I paid about $150 or so per wheel but I was well pleased with the result, they looked better than new and the guys at the tyre shop were really surprised at how balanced the wheels were.

I'll be definetly taking them there again if required.

Cheers
    600bucks is out of my price range. id rather do the job at the shop. i reckon the bog will come out alright I'm going to hifill it and wet rub that back so it will give a finish exactly like a set of new wheels just painted.
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK

i can paint it what ever i won't, 2k or 2pack or tupac which i shall from hence forth refer to as 2k can't be a metallic its solid colours only and base coat with out clear will come off if u rub it hard enough with water so I'm stuck really i would rather paint them matt black,

I hope that post was made in a hurry on a mobile phone.
    The smart ass in me asks how do you rub hard enough with water??? Freeze it first maybe.

Why cant you(or your shop) paint metalic 2k???
    Everyone else does, and of course adds a 2k clear over the top.

Jo

Well we don't use 2k clear metallics at my work only solids. Base gives a better finish. And 2k doesn't get cleared? I was exaggerating about un cleared base. But if u dripped petrol on it when filling up I'd say more than likely that will strip it.
    Last edited by matt_molon; 10th January 2012 at 05:43 PM.
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK

Well we don't use 2k clear metallics at my work only solids. Base gives a better finish. And 2k doesn't get cleared? I was exaggerating about un cleared base. But if u dripped petrol on it when filling up I'd say more than likely that will strip it.
    I think 2k is rather petrol proof.
    Check out a motorbike tank for example.

If you want to try the nastiest petrol around, go down to manly caltex and grab some e85 and do a test with that
    I can tell you with great certainty that it strips acrylic better than paint stripper does.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I think 2k is rather petrol proof.
    Check out a motorbike tank for example.

If you want to try the nastiest petrol around, go down to manly caltex and grab some e85 and do a test with that
    I can tell you with great certainty that it strips acrylic better than paint stripper does.

Jo
    no i was referring to base coat not 2k yeah 2 k is quite petrol proof. anyway have now decided to order a alloy repair kit or to continue the repair with bog and add a matt finish additive to the clear coat. so i need to flip a coin really. more than likely u will see the results on the 29th so perhaps ill leave it as a surprise.
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK

also in addition if u are doing your fill up in manly, try the 95 ron 10% ethanol premium at the united up from the RTA in the manly direction same side of the road. it has done my 206 fine no hiccups and runs as well as 98 well i haven't noticed any difference. best bit is its always around 132-139 unless its one of 'those weeks'.
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK

Tadpole

If you can't get the rash TIGed up, a Metal-Filled Epoxy will do the trick. If nothing else, try the Selleys Knead-It range from the local hardware store.

If you apply a hardener to Metallic Basecoat it will last. I have repaired Modern Sportsbike frames this way and wanted to match original flat/satin finish.

If you can paint 2K, then just buy some metallic basecoat and 2K clear if you would rather a metallic. It's not that expensive if you only need a little bit anyway. Colour is up to you. I don't might the black rims on black car anyway, so your choice really.

i have started sanding and bogging will put photos up later tonight sanding the bog until tomorrow fingers crossed for no rain.

matt
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK

Looking forward to seeing the results. I've got to do something with my wheels...

Dino - do you know how much the kit is? I'm very interested because I am about due to scrape one of mine (again any time). Have you tried it yourself?
    regards Kev

two more wheels to sand tomorrow then patch the pin holes and primer it then paint, my mate is hopefully going to leave my car on his hoist tomorrow so wheels and tyres can come off for the finer details to be done. If anyone wants to know what paper etc and my method in more detail. Let us know. However until their finished my method remains unproven.

Matt
    2004 206 GTI 180 BLACK

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by bigkev414 View Post
    Dino - do you know how much the kit is? I'm very interested because I am about due to scrape one of mine (again any time). Have you tried it yourself?
    regards Kev
    The kit is just a convenient bundle that you'd pay a premium for.

The key ingredient is the tube of epoxy which you can substitute brands.

Light scratches vibrate out with an orbital. Heavy gouges may need filling, and a Hi-Fill primer over the top before you put colour on.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information