suburban streets of Buenos Aires
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default suburban streets of Buenos Aires

Upon being inspired by our South American cousins - the 'muchachos' responsible for the wonderful Peugeot 404 rebirth, i wish to offer some descriptive comments that help explain the context in which such cars have been employed in their previous working lives :
    Suburban streets there (they call them 'calles' {pronounced ka-zhay, with a soft 'g'}) can only be described as "atrocious". They are narrow, unsurfaced, uneven, potholed goat-tracks - barely classifiable as thoroughfares. Like the public buildings, everything is on a downhill slide. There is little if any maintenance by the municipal authorities, such as they are. To add to the whole disaster, most of the public roads are occupied by as many private (public) buses as cars. From my own experience, most of these were of the 60's diesel chassis variety, common all over the world, known as the '1418' - about eight tonnes GVW. They operate constantly, pounding the already ruined 'pavement' further, and doing themselves no doubt immense damage in the process. Fortunately they are 'Third World' tough.
    So any passenger car competes on those terms, and suffers accordingly, simply in daily operation.
    To add to the fun, these are generally not genuine original french cars, but locally manufactured (known as 'Industria Argentina'.) From what I observed, French cars such as Renault R12 and Peugeot 404/505 were passed on to the Argentines at the end of production in the country of origin, by which point they were thoroughly obsolescent by world standards.
    For the average 'Jose'', to own a car seems remarkable; to maintain it is a constant struggle to keep going by whatever means, as long as there is plenty of old fencing wire. Their taxi fleet of mainly black with yellow conveyances, were almost exclusively Peugeot in the part-years I was living there. So it is indeed a brave enthusiast who takes on the average ratmangle hack to revive.

Advertisement
    Last edited by 306cabmad; 6th January 2012 at 06:42 PM.

I can relate to that quite a fair bit.

I guess this was the situation for most countries outside the western world (and even therein) after the war. But out of these trials great cars have emerged like the R12 you mention, the 504, the 2CV, the Beetle and so on. Cars that proved they can last and function with minimal maintenance and improvised roadside quickfix solutions based around chicken wire and creek bed rock.

Bush mechanics is a language spoken the world over. The difference between countries is how far the "bush" extends into the cities.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

interesting see how people sees it from outside

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

Fellow Frogger!

Sorry Mate - not meaning to be deliberately rude, but that is what I saw. Getting about at night I noticed a police car, presumably on duty (a Ford such as we had here and outgrew in the mid-1970s, known as a 'Falcon') with only one headlight and likewise at the rear, only one tail-light.

Argentina is a brilliant country, not least for car spotting. The worst thing about the ancient buses is the whine from the gearbox. Shocking!
    Care factor = -273.15șC

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

Quote Originally Posted by 306cabmad View Post
    Sorry Mate - not meaning to be deliberately rude, but that is what I saw. Getting about at night I noticed a police car, presumably on duty (a Ford such as we had here and outgrew in the mid-1970s, known as a 'Falcon') with only one headlight and likewise at the rear, only one tail-light.
    I did not complain . Yes, that was a Ford Falcon (produced here from 1962 to 1991). On 91, you had it available with the THREE SPEED GEARBOX! (at the steering column, the command)

http://www.todofalcon.com.ar/modelos.htm

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

Thread Information