acceleration problems with my '93 405 mi16
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default acceleration problems with my '93 405 mi16

Hey all!
    i have had my mi16 for 5 years now and have had no real problems until recently.
    occasionally when i try to accelerate the engine revs through to 5000 but no power goes to the wheels. it is also lacking the pick up it had.
    i am hoping it isnt the clutch!
    spark plugs maybe?

Advertisement

clutch

.....i try to accelerate the engine revs through to 5000 but no power goes to the wheels

+1 - Clutch
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

PDJ

Spark Plugs?

Clutch!

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

if there is not direct proportional match between RPM and SPEED (example if 1000 RPM = 6 km, then 2000 RPM must be 12 km/h, 3000 RPM 18 km... etc), then, clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Yup, clutch.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Fellow Frogger!

Since you are saying "it lacks the pickup it had" I am assuming it still drives but feels under powered, is this right ?

Being a 93 model, does that make it a phase 2 model, i.e. plastic inlet manifold with vacuum pods that probably dont function any more ?

However if no power goes to the wheels at all, (rev counter climbs but car sits still, or barely moves) then as said above, it will be the clutch !

Fellow Frogger!

Default Cable....?

405's have a clutch cable...if the cables sticking it could be a culprit..otherwise clutch assembly itself

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by blink View Post
    Since you are saying "it lacks the pickup it had" I am assuming it still drives but feels under powered, is this right ?

Being a 93 model, does that make it a phase 2 model, i.e. plastic inlet manifold with vacuum pods that probably dont function any more ?

However if no power goes to the wheels at all, (rev counter climbs but car sits still, or barely moves) then as said above, it will be the clutch !
    @ 3000 rpm no power goes to the wheels if i accelerate quickly but it will climb slowly slowly otherwise. the clutch functions normally. it lacks pick up off a standing start also

Tadpole

the car seems to not want to accelerate from 3000rpm, there is little power to the wheels if i try this, yes it is a mark 2!

Tadpole

can anyone recommend a good peugeot mechanic in the melbourne area?

Been covered many times before do a search on Melbourne mechanics .....

Fellow Frogger!

I suspect the clutch is not your problem, hard to tell without looking though ! check for vacuum leaks at the map sensor and check that the vacuum pods operate.

Does the car take off with plenty of power once it hits about 5k Rpm ?
    And does it idle properly ?
    Last edited by blink; 7th January 2012 at 05:57 PM.

Tadpole

I suspect the clutch is not your problem, hard to tell without looking though ! check for vacuum leaks at the map sensor and check that the vacuum pods operate.

Does the car take off with plenty of power once it hits about 5k Rpm ?
    And does it idle properly ?
    yes and yes-are you available to have a look @ the problem?

Alpine Affair in Ringwood... Best Pug repairer east of the city..

for the clutch... get onto a flat road.. Put it in Fourth.. try and take off from a standing start... if you stall... your clutch is fine... if you can take off... your clutch is slipping..... seriously this works...

also try: your battery terminals... mine lost power and it was a loose terminal. I cleaned it and tightened it, and no more loss of power. also look at your distributor (I think the phase two also has a distributor on the end of the cams)... clean inside it. finally check your spark plugs, check for water in the wells... you wash your motor and get water down in the plug wells, they short out the plugs and you temporarily loose a cylinder or three. Finally check air filter and ignition plugs... any of these things can quickly result in a loss of power. also these are easier to clean and examine than stuffing around with your fuel system.. and clutch. Besides, doing these is good maintenance... If it isn't this.. start looking fuel or Map sensor... or the evil clutch..
    Current Beasts:
    '89 405 Mi16
    '98 406 ST TD Wagon
    '90 405 MI16
    '67 Morris Mini

Recent Pugs..
    '94 306 XR
    '01 306 XT
    '98 306 XT

Thread Information