"I told you I was sick"
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default "I told you I was sick"

This is on the subject of a worsening fuel issue on my Gti 180, that I made vague reference to a few weeks back. However, a small distraction : the old joke about gravestones and epitaphs inscribed on them :- "See, I Told You I Wasn't Well". The earlier post described a problem I was having from first starting up, in normal mild weather, and the engine 'stumbling' for 30 seconds before settling to steady regular running. One response was that I was probably not waiting until the 'STOP' light closed before turning the key. And that was probably an accurate observation. Although it has now deteriorated to a major issue. Filling the tank, for example, the car, having been turned off for a couple of minutes, is most likely on restarting to starve just as I pull in to traffic, and it is at times probably dangerous (chance of tailenders, or following drivers imagining you must be 'winding them up'.) Clearly the issue is fuel delivery, and the behaviour is as if the delivery line has a fault and the return line is emptying back to the tank too soon. Also the car is running way too rich, according to the very sooty tail pipes. This will be partly to do with frantic pumping of the throttle when this starvation sets in. Or there may be a blocked filter that I am not aware of. This has become all the more important as my wife's C2, having just returned from a service, has gone out at just the wrong time with those flashing 'check pollution' fault codes that our french cars are apparently famous for. Has any 180 owner had this happen, and what is the solution. 100km traveled is probably costing me 12 litres or more.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by 306cabmad View Post
    100km traveled is probably costing me 12 litres or more.
    Well there is your problem.....

Its turning into a Landrover......

Start with the usual suspects.

Fuel filter, (what is your service history like???).
    Plugs.
    Fuel pump.
    Fuel lines and connections, (dents/crimps/rotten rubber).

Injectors ... and importantly the electrical connections to them.
    Air mass/temp sensors.
    Temp sensor for the water jacket, (I have a funny feeling that a faulty one of these will play havoc with the computer and the engine tuning, giving rise to some of the symptoms you are describing).

See if you cant get it pluged into a computer that will run a diagnostic program for all sensors etc....
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post

See if you cant get it pluged into a computer that will run a diagnostic program for all sensors etc....
    ......and a coda pressure/flow gauge to asses the fuel supply.

Jo

And some punctuation/paragraphs...

Seriously.
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post
    And some punctuation/paragraphs...

Seriously.
    Thanks. My eyes are enjoying this comment.

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

Fellow Frogger!

Apparently we must have smart arses who demand thorough punctuation. But for leaving out punctuation in these rants, I would be unable to communicate. So, once and for all, to those who carp about punctuation and line spacing, in the nicest possible way - 'Suck an Egg'. I can't (or won't) help it

Fellow Frogger!

Sorry (sort of) about the last shot. Forgot to mention, I often smell raw fuel on arriving at destination (10 - 20 km eg)

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

Sir, With all my respect, maybe you want to read something about Netiquette.

Besides that, I suggest you to go self-diagnose the car via scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

Apparently we must have smart arses who demand thorough punctuation. But for leaving out punctuation in these rants, I would be unable to communicate. So, once and for all, to those who carp about punctuation and line spacing, in the nicest possible way - 'Suck an Egg'. I can't (or won't) help it
    Please don't refer to myself as being a "smart arse" - I do not appreciate this.

If you want people to respond in a manner which is timely and helpful, consider spending some time on editing your posts.

As for your car, diagnostics through a Proxia are probably required - to see engine operational parameters. You'd be surprised at the power of this diagnostic software.
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by STALLED View Post
    As for your car, diagnostics through a Proxia are probably required - to see engine operational parameters. You'd be surprised at the power of this diagnostic software.
    G'day,
    there is one for sale at

New Proxia-Lexia code reader for sale
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

As said in an earlier thread punctuation and paragraphs make a post far easier to read.

Many people (me included) won't "wade" through a dozen or more lines without line breaks or sentence structure. I just CBF trying to figure out what is going on.

So, take the comments as helpful suggestions or insults it's entirely up to you.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

This is on the subject of a worsening fuel issue on my Gti 180, that I made vague reference to a few weeks back. However, a small distraction is, i've very large breasts : the old joke about gravestones and epitaphs inscribed on them :- "See, I Told You I Wasn't Well". The earlier post described a problem I was having from first starting up, in normal mild weather, and the engine 'stumbling' for 30 seconds before settling to steady regular running. One response was that I was probably not waiting until the 'STOP' light closed beforeremoving my undergarments before inseting the key. And that was probably an accurate observation. Although it has now deteriorated to a major issue. Filling the tank, for example, the car, having been turned off for a couple of minutes, is most likely on restarting to starve just as I pull in to traffic, and it is at times probably dangerous (chance of tailenders, or following drivers imagining you must be 'winding them up'.) Clearly the issue is fuel delivery, and the behaviour is as if the delivery line has a fault and the return line is emptying back to the tank too soon. Also the car is running way too rich, according to the very sooty tail pipes. This will be partly to do with frantic pumping of the throttle when this starvation sets in. Or there may be a blocked filter that I am not aware of. This has become all the more important as my wife's C2, having just returned from a service, has gone out at just the wrong time with those flashing 'check pollution' fault codes that our french cars are apparently famous for. Has any 180 owner had this happen, and what is the solution. 100km traveled is probably costing me 12 litres or more.
    I can't see anything wrong with that.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by catshamlet View Post

Mike.
    G'day,
    have a look at a mortgage, basically one sentence with punctuation every now and then.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    have a look at a mortgage, basically one sentence with punctuation every now and then.
    Not these days!

Not on the mortgage my son has just taken out at least.

All banking is now written in "plain" English. Long winded, tedious in description and intent, but most definitely able to read and understood.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

I think I suggested you get your battery load-tested back then. There is a fair bit of evidence to suggest this can be a factor in poor starting, ie. not enough juice to adequately pressurise the fuel rail, yet enough to make it seem that the engine is cranking just fine on start.

I also recommend that, if you're genuinely looking for help, you break up your paragraphs. No one's looking to read the Magna Carta here - it's just too hard to read
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    I also recommend that, if you're genuinely looking for help, you break up your paragraphs. No one's looking to read the Magna Carta here - it's just too hard to read
    G'day,
    I bet the Magna Carta has punctuation.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Not these days!

Not on the mortgage my son has just taken out at least.

All banking is now written in "plain" English. Long winded, tedious in description and intent, but most definitely able to read and understood.
    G'day,
    mine was done about 26 years ago, and the insert defies comprehension.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Mike.
    Just shows how difficult it is to read text when it's all in one big lump like that. My version isn't quite the same as the original.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Just shows how difficult it is to read text when it's all in one big lump like that. My version isn't quite the same as the original.

Mike.
    You devious barstard.

What is a proxia? Will it do 205 GTIs?

What is CBF?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post

[...]

What is CBF?
    Oh, nevermind.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Default mea culpa

I appear not to be the only one with thin skin. I should have said something like 'clever dick'. I accept the comments, and will conform if the rules specify a format that insists on regular paragraphs and 'justified' line spacing.
    For my part, I have had this pointed out to me before, and I hear you. However, one-liners slipped in at odds with the subject are inclined to get up my own snout at times.
    BTW, I have a hand-held scanner and the diagnostic software DVD highlighted here recently. Have yet to teach myself to use it.
    Checked the car again this morning, and the problem is a part-dislodged fuel line from the pump at rear. I still appreciate all genuine 'support' even when controversy occasionally creeps in. (above layout 'for demonstration purposes only.)http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/graemlins/cry.gif.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

I don't normally read the goat section, but the heading has caught my eye. I have to admit I did hold back at having a look but this morning I couldn't help myself as it's a bit of a hot thread now.

But what did you expect with a title like this.

If you where truly sick mate, you'd just set the bloody goat on fire and wait for the insurance money.
    Last edited by 63-1092; 3rd January 2012 at 10:10 AM.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Checked the car again this morning, and the problem is a part-dislodged fuel line from the pump at rear.
    Glad you got it sorted.

Where was all the errant fuel getting to?

My 138 failed spectacularly one day following a fuel filter replacement by my local dealer. One of the idiot-proof click on connectors had not been clicked on properly.

The five meter long fuel slick on the ground from the rear driver's side wheel arch was a good indication of where the problem lay.

After an angry letter they offered me a free car wash.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    Glad you got it sorted.

idiot-proof click on connectors.
    Never "idiot proof"....
    The best we can hope for is "idiot resistant".

I could understand the issues you were having if the "leakage was on the low pressure side'...ie sucking in air.....

If this is on the pressure side, was there any fuel loss?
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Fellow Frogger!

The fuel was certainly getting to atmosphere (the smell alone). As per another's experience, the little green clip had rebounded (or something); the pipe was only half-clipped and fuel was pooling in the hollow where the pump fits in the top of the tank. Not enough to leave a trail and would evaporate between daily starts (Car driven mostly regular short distances) Sorry all, for the mass of unrelieved text (sounds of sly chortling - no offence)

Thread Information