Hail damage from Christmas Day
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Hail damage from Christmas Day

I'm sure we're not the only ones caught out by this.

Advertisement

Although extraordinarily lucky to have no damage within our current residence, both my wife's 307 Touring and my 306 GTi6 now have a very pretty dimple pattern on any horizontal surface. Both booked in to assessors within the next couple of months.

So, fully expecting to have the GTi6 written off and will probably buy it back.

The 307 we are less certain about, it is a 2006 2lt HDi so the arbitrary 75% total loss mark should be somewhere around $10,000 I guess. Does anyone know how much it costs to repair hail damage to a roof?

Anyone else have extensive damage? We felt lucky not to have lost any glass on either vehicle, but the size of some of the dents particularly on the 306 are phenomenal!
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:
    "Betty" 1997 Black 306 GTi6
    "Shaggy" 2001 Green Subaru Outback

The Mrs. Has
    "Wags" 2006 Ash Grey 307 XSE Hdi Touring

And for floating...
    "Korka" 1978 Red/Blue Ramsay Lynx with 327ci Chevy

Previously:
    "Cliff the 505th" 1985 White 505 GTi
    "Clive the 505" 1983 Poo Gold? 505 STi RIP

No hail or storms around my area, unlucky mate ):
    P-Plater

Obsession for le Peugeot!

Current:
    '98 306GTi6 + Bianca white+ Sun roof.

Previous:
    '99 306Style

I live for the 6!

1000+ Posts

We got back from the country, wondering what we would face in the Heidelberg Area, and apart from a little flooding damage at the front door and carpet in the passage, just minor and no damage to the cars parked in the street and plenty of signs around that considerable rain had pelted down.

Fordman and Family called the following morning and his Hire car had a few dents in the roof, from the hail storm that hit the Taylors Lakes general area. The marks are very minor, but after watching a TV report of a hirer complaining that Hertz were trying to invoke the damage clause for that rented vehicle and take advantage of her liability for any damage while the car was in her possession.

That would mean her paying several thousands of dollars which she could not afford. Make you think about whether to pay for insurance when you hire and the excess clauses that apply.

Hope Chris doesn't run foul of that attitude too, though apparently Hertz are reviewing their stance after the TV publicity.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    We got back from the country, wondering what we would face in the Heidelberg Area, and apart from a little flooding damage at the front door and carpet in the passage, just minor and no damage to the cars parked in the street and plenty of signs around that considerable rain had pelted down.

Fordman and Family called the following morning and his Hire car had a few dents in the roof, from the hail storm that hit the Taylors Lakes general area. The marks are very minor, but after watching a TV report of a hirer complaining that Hertz were trying to invoke the damage clause for that rented vehicle and take advantage of her liability for any damage while the car was in her possession.

That would mean her paying several thousands of dollars which she could not afford. Make you think about whether to pay for insurance when you hire and the excess clauses that apply.

Hope Chris doesn't run foul of that attitude too, though apparently Hertz are reviewing their stance after the TV publicity.

Ken

Ken... can I confess something... I obviously didnt hope it happened for real... But I was kinda hoping one of your cars gets a hammering... not for real... you know... not in an evil kinda a way... just to rub in that 'its just weather' thing in....

Ofcourse I m glad you and your property survived... I hope you can forgive my mild and innocent mental transgression...

dino

My brother in law had his car damaged by hail some months back and was sure the insurance were going to write it off. They did not. It appears they have some suction sustem with which they can often pop the dimples without having to repaint. In his case they still ended up having to repaint. I am not privy to the quotes or the costs of his repair.

1000+ Posts

Icon6 Dino of the dark thoughts!! It is just weather anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    Ken... can I confess something... I obviously didnt hope it happened for real... But I was kinda hoping one of your cars gets a hammering... not for real... you know... not in an evil kinda a way... just to rub in that 'its just weather' thing in....

Ofcourse I m glad you and your property survived... I hope you can forgive my mild and innocent mental transgression...

dino

Surprised you didn't "engineer" a few dimples if you wanted that "joy" so much?, incidently if you are trying to infere that extreme weather comes from your favourite man made myth, you only have to read the old Newspaper reports in the National Library Archives (NLA) which are on line, to find for yourself that hailstorms in Summer are a reasonable common recorded event (weather).

I trust these newspaper reports as verbatim reports from observations made at the time, Not invented myths by interested parties who want to keep their snouts firmly in the government grant trough of "greedy warming" and written up these days to suit a faith bias.

I actually posted a whole host of such historical Newspaper reports, when a member from Sydney queried such "unseasonable storm events" a few years back (lost in the Go Daddy crash) to show the commonality of such events and, only unusual, because of the short memories of those that make such observations. (i.e. not in THEIR living memory)

Incidently the mythmakers rely heavily on such short memories, but those of us that have spent Christmas days dealing with such events, well remember them, including one New years Eve digging new drains to channel flooding rains away from our house, but then I was younger, now I'd probably just let it flood and save the energy..

Hope your garden is flourishing and producing much produce for your family, such a joy to work with nature and the seasons and perhaps one day understand them.

Ken

I doubt either the 307 or 306 will be written off - they'll send you off to a dent remover who uses a suction machine to remove the dent. There is a heap of cars driving around Queensland that have been treated with the system with no apparent ill effect.

Sorry to hear it happened however - no one really needs the hassle.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Icon6

G'day,
    the 180 was damaged in the storm we had here in Sydney a few years ago. I looked for the thread, but it must have been before the crash. From memory, the parts cost about $1500-00, labour was about $7000-00. More accurate figures if I can find the paperwork.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Thanks for the replies.

I hadn't heard of this suction panel beating before. Hopefully that means the 307 is safe.

Honestly I don't mind either way for the 306, I'll definitely be keeping the "wreck" if it is written off, but if they can restore it back to schmick condition then all is good.
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:

The Mrs. Has

And for floating...

Previously:

1000+ Posts

Ken and Dino, I was waiting for someone to blame the warm New Years Eve on climate change! I remember one hot New Years when I had to get a fire tanker at 2:30 am, (New Years morn really), temperature was 36 degrees and a hot north wind. A balmy drive through the Grampians mountains with a warm breeze listening to the ABC covering the fire. Quite strange to be turning out when the parties were still going on. Weather is weird. An old man in Warrandyte told me there was such a severe hailstorm the day of his fathers funeral they couldn't carry the coffin to the hearse. That would have been about 1940.

Yes, there have been extreme weather events for years - they are irrelevant to any current climate change.

Fellow Frogger!

Default three 205's all in a row, not the same any more.

One si and 2 gti's, poor little fellows never stood a chance, hail like spiked golf balls for ten minutes, and one fifty metres away didnt get a mark, was an si of course. my sympathies go out to all who grieve for their mechanical children who have suffered so, regards fisher. this was just before christmas in the Lockier Valley Q.

Yep, got caught at Bundoora. Horrible feeling not being able to find shelter anywhere.

Fruit images shown are illustrative of flavour only and are not ingredients of the product.

my wives black BA Fairlane was at her folks place in South Morang Xmas day and copped a dead set pasting!
    Roof has about 80 "dimples" in it, the boot and bonnet both pretty well screwed, and a few little dents on the guards, and 2 of the doors... We are hoping that they will write it off, its agree'd value is just under $13k, and i would assume that each dint would cost approx $100 to remove?? so fingers crossed it will be written off, only problem is that we are with Shannons, so that means we dont get inspected till middle of Feb....

When my Lancer was damaged a by hail a few years back I just got the quotes then they paid me out in cash, minus the excess. Means you can't insure the car comprehensive anymore but for an oldish car the cash is sometimes more use than a dimple-free car.
    Renault Megane sedan dCi 1.9 2007

David Brown 1973 885 synchromesh tractor.

Mitsubishi Lancer 1995

Honda sh150i scooter 2008

The more people I speak to the more it seems our extreme weather was fairly isolated to the north/east of Melbourne. Anyway, took some photos on my phone just after the storm and finally retrieved them for your perusal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hail damage from Christmas Day-20111225_002.jpg   Hail damage from Christmas Day-20111225_004.jpg   Hail damage from Christmas Day-20111225_006.jpg   Hail damage from Christmas Day-20111225_007.jpg  
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:

The Mrs. Has

And for floating...

Previously:

1000+ Posts

Default Luck when dodging hail storms!!

In all the years I have been driving, there have been lots of times that I got caught out in weather and hail, but lucky enough that either the cars I was driving were tank like or the hail stones weren't big enough to cause damage - the luck of the draw I guess. I hate to see the damage on Mikeees car as I know how polished and pristine he keeps his car. Sad mate!!

Having seen Summer hail storms cross Victoria just Nth of Epsom and the damage those huge hail stones do to trees, cars and buildings, I am always wary of that particular storm path over the years.

Since driving newer cars with easily damaged metal I start looking for any shelter when I see one of those ominous storm clouds - so far so good!!

Hope your damage is fixed to your satisfaction!!

Regards

Ken

South America, Argentina, That country that looks like hanging from the map... just about to fall...

I know how it feels... I was inside of the car...

Quote Originally Posted by Molerpa View Post

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    It is simply impractical to expect a petrol motor to get through too much water. That's why God invented diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    In all the years I have been driving, there have been lots of times that I got caught out in weather and hail, but lucky enough that either the cars I was driving were tank like or the hail stones weren't big enough to cause damage - the luck of the draw I guess. I hate to see the damage on Mikeees car as I know how polished and pristine he keeps his car. Sad mate!!

Having seen Summer hail storms cross Victoria just Nth of Epsom and the damage those huge hail stones do to trees, cars and buildings, I am always wary of that particular storm path over the years.

Since driving newer cars with easily damaged metal I start looking for any shelter when I see one of those ominous storm clouds - so far so good!!

Hope your damage is fixed to your satisfaction!!

Regards

Ken
    As Fordman will no doubt have told you, we had quite a hailstorm in Perth a year or so back, and which passed through the expensive car yards near where we live. Our 1995 306 was damaged badly enough to get a new bonnet, lights, windscreen etc but was repaired not written off simply because of the agreed value insurance policy that had its number higher than I'd realised! There are several techniques for small dent removal and they work amazingly well.

Our Xantia was caught too, as I drove home early, and has a gentle patina on roof and bonnet if you get the light right! It is a horrible noise/feeling to be caught in a macro-hail storm. I should have stayed at work!

There are some truly amazing hail-damaged cars driving around Perth.

Cheers and best wishes for 2012.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    There are some truly amazing hail-damaged cars driving around Perth.
    If you're even in South East Queensland, look on the roof of pretty well any bus that has seen at least 2 summers. Some of them have more bumps than a book "written" in Braille.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

There are plenty of videos on youtube, this one just happens to be from our neighbours and includes our two cars at the end:

Hailstorm Eltham Victoria Christmas Day 2011

There is some bad language from the cameraman, apologies for that.
    eatpeople04

Now showing in:

The Mrs. Has

And for floating...

Previously:

UFO

I just realised, this is what happens to Aussies when they keep putting up snow related decorations and sing that infernal bloody Bing Crosby song.

I remember after the big Sydney storm some years ago that whenever it even vaguely looked like hail and we were all still at work (in Wollongong mind you) our boss would immediately bolt out the door and squeeze his car in under the awning thing near the front of our building. Except one time when one of the helpdesk girls beat him to it!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by eatpeople04 View Post
    There is some bad language from the cameraman, apologies for that.
    The bad language I could deal with. But you didn't warn that there's a fellow in the film wearing shorts.
    Do you people have no sense of decency?!!

By the way, if that was a woman in shorts I owe her an apology, and her husband deserves a medal.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Mike, I imagine it's hard for you to believe but an hour or two earlier it was bright sunshine and a beautiful day, hence the casual Aussie attire.

The brave bloke in shorts is also called Mike and was more than a little concerned about his Land Rover Discovery parked in the storm. (No damage to it BTW)

And Craig, I agree that Bing Crosby and all who cover THAT SONG should be not just banned but taken out and shot!

Strangely, Zaphod the Xantia was parked up the driveway from which Mike exited. Only a few dents. It was partly sheltered by a tree however, most of which ended up all over the car (in shreds).

Even weirder, was Mrs P's car that was parked elsewhere in Eltham. The paint on the 306 is gone to God well and truly, so a few dimples wouldn't have mattered. Not a mark on it, dammit!

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Current project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

I was in Eltham in the RS4 and managed to get under a tree, but even then we couldnt talk in the car it was so loud, . I was convinced the car would be trashed, but no damage at all ! Must have reasonably thick panels, I thought the windscreen was going to break with all the "crack" noises of hail hitting it.
    205gti

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information