205 GTI strut top mounts
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default 205 GTI strut top mounts

Is there any place in Australia where I can buy the whole lot (bearings, cups and rubber bushes)? See picture here

Advertisement

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...owtopic=115214
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 31st December 2011 at 03:16 AM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

One would assume EAI...?
    1992 205 Si
    Current: shortened diff (4.4), short shifter, group N top mounts, rebuilt engine and box, solid engine mounts, 1.75" exhaust, strut brace, OMP wheel, GTI suspension & subframe front and rear, lowered 30mm front and rear, solid rear bush, Koni yellows, 306 XT front discs and calipers, ADR compliant braided brake lines, 14" rallye wheels, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tyres, immobiliser

Peugeot. They sell a "strut rod fixing kit". You probably don't need the bearings. Just reco the old ones.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

eai and when I checked last they were around the $180 per side mark.

Chris

Thank you, guys.

How do you recondition a bearing?

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

The kit you need is #503521. It was $77 inc tax from Peugeot back in 2008. You'll need two. Doesn't include the bump stomp. For the bearings, soak in kero, clean etc., then regrease. They just get clogged up with dust etc.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Judging by the diagram linked above, I would guess if the strut has play at the top then it's the bearing that's gone, so I would think it can't be reused. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Am I wrong?
    Yes..

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Yes..
    Hmm. So why the wobble?

VIP Sponsor

Hmm. So why the wobble?
    Won't be the bearing probably the rubber chopped out.

Rubber doughnut will be worn/perished etc.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Rubbers look good, but who knows. Both my GTI and the Si wreck have the same symptom.

Ordered the kit(s) from EAI anyway. Are these OE?

That guy who replaced the other guy at EAI is really annoying. He doesn't know anything. The other guy was really good. EAI, do you hear this?
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 4th January 2012 at 12:52 PM.

VIP Sponsor

Ordered the kit from EAI. Are these OE?

That guy who replaced the other guy at EAI is really annoying. He doesn't know anything. The other guy was really good. EAI, do you hear this?
    Unlikely, would probably be SASIC.

Dang local Peugeot dealers not open yet.

Any problem with SASIC?

VIP Sponsor

Dang local Peugeot dealers not open yet.

Any problem with SASIC?
    Would a Peugeot dealer know what a 205 was?
    SASIC usually OK, if you want something heavy duty get the Group N rubbers from Bakers in the UK.

I prefer the kit from Peugeot as you get all the top parts of the housing new. I'll be keen to see if your EAI kit contains the same and at what price.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

They said the kit contains the bearing, rubber and spring top (I guess it was the loser I mentioned above not actually recognising what is in fact the cup). 185$ a side plus shipping.

Anyway, we'll see. I have had original Peugeot items supplied by EAI.

Peugeot locally don't even recognise the car's VIN even though they sold it when new.

I'm sure you have a problem with the advice I give you. I've given you the good oil several times now and you continue to ignore it.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Parts arrived today, it's the original Peugeot kit, contains everything above the top spring seat (included too).

Weird looking bearing. I thought it was going to be like a ball bearing or something similar (as the my old BMW or the Golfs have, that sort of thing), that's why I asked how do you recondition a bearing because something like that once the race and balls are stuffed, you can't do anything about it.

Now for the bump stops and bellows.

Not sure what is it exactly you are referring to about advice.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 4th January 2012 at 10:22 PM.

i bought the last geniune bump stop in aus yesterday, well thats what i was told, let me know if you find another one as i needed two. part # 503327 yellow 97mm $29.its yet to turn up in the post!

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by djvu205 View Post
    i bought the last geniune bump stop in aus yesterday, well thats what i was told, let me know if you find another one as i needed two. part # 503327 yellow 97mm $29.its yet to turn up in the post!
    Places like Pedders need to be told where to buy bump stops, I've lost count of the struts I've pulled apart that have either none or ones that have disintegrated.
    Got a set of fairly new LIPs out of a GTi the other day, stuffed and leaking oil due to virtually non existant bump stops.
    The SASIC stops survive rallying fine so no problems in their use.
    Graham

Default bump stops

yes tried pedders they tried to sell me a universal one that wouldnt even go on the strut shaft. then he tried to sell me one half the height and dia. after that he looked iot up on computer and quoted me $200+ for a sasic kit which did both sides and included 2 x stops and 2 x boots. not sure if you got zip ties with that?

Are the Si bump stops the same as the GTI?

My SI wreck seems to have nice bump stops and bellows even though I would say they are aftermarket.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 5th January 2012 at 03:23 PM.

[QUOTE=schlitzaugen;1021587]Are the Si bup stops the same as the GTI?
    No, different length.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

[QUOTE=PeterT;1021594]
    Are the Si bup stops the same as the GTI?
    No, different length.
    Bummer.

There isn't much one can swap across from an Si to a GTI, is there?!

How does this bearing I have just bought work? What is the friction reducing material in there? I am tempted to destroy one of the old ones to see.

Is there any mod warranted/possible to replace this bearing with a real bearing as in the cars mentioned above? I don't understand this bearing therefore I don't trust it (even though common sense says otherwise). I'll try when I have everything off a top strut bearing off my beemer just for kicks.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 5th January 2012 at 03:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information